[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Sep 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #511 of 583

Quote:
Depends on what you want to see upgraded over those two really...

ClieOS: I have the brainwavz B2 and I've read they are very similar in sound to the DBA-02. I find the B2's congested and somewhat flat sounding in terms of their soundstage and how they use it, at least in comparison to the GR07. Is this how you hear it also? or do you think I'm having fit issues with the B2's?

The sound otherwise is good, bass is fine, treble is clear etc It just seems like the notes lack body that extends out across the soundstage.

If it sounds thin that is a fit issue IME.  If you aren't willing to have a deep insertion like an Ety using the B2 it will always be thin.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #512 of 583

Quote:
If it sounds thin that is a fit issue IME.  If you aren't willing to have a deep insertion like an Ety using the B2 it will always be thin.

+1.

I was just getting used to the bright highs and thin, cold sound of the B2 until I switched to the small silicone tips and shoved them deep into my ears.

Difference is literally night and day. The bass is boomier (I could still pick up quite a bit of bass with shallow insertion, which is why I never though I had a fit issue), and the overall sound is much meatier.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #513 of 583

Quote:
ClieOS: I have the brainwavz B2 and I've read they are very similar in sound to the DBA-02. I find the B2's congested and somewhat flat sounding in terms of their soundstage and how they use it, at least in comparison to the GR07. Is this how you hear it also? or do you think I'm having fit issues with the B2's?

The sound otherwise is good, bass is fine, treble is clear etc It just seems like the notes lack body that extends out across the soundstage.

B2 is almost identical sounding as DBA-02. The difference is small enough that I doubt most can tell in an instant. I don't personally find B2 / DBA-02 to have a really good soundstage, as with most analytical sounding IEM. In this case, I do agree GR07 has better soundstage than B2 / DBA-02

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #515 of 583

Quote:

I want to know how the foam tips from JAYS can be used on the GR07 without doing something drastically. I have 3 pairs from my previous D-Jays and they don't fit - at all. The nozzle on GR07 is way too big and long.

I have been using JAYS foam for the last few months. Like the Comply, you need to push it in. The easiest way is to push it on an angle (say 30 to 45 degree) and let one corner goes in first. Use one of your finger to hold the nozzle in place (so it won't move around) when you are pushing the foam tip in

[edit] here is picture of my GR07 on a pair of original JAYS foam

JAYS.jpg

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #517 of 583

Quote:
Yeah, I was able to get mine to fit.  Problem is, I'm not sure if I can get them off without damaging them now...

Sure you can, as I have done that countless times myself. Just put your finger nail to the back of the JAYS foam on the base of the inner rubber core and push it out from there.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #518 of 583
Hey everyone - first time poster here. I've been searching this thread but I can't seem to find where to buy these JAYS foam tips.  I'd really like to try them if someone can point me in the right direction (I'm in the US).

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #519 of 583
Hey everyone - first time poster here. I've been searching this thread but I can't seem to find where to buy these JAYS foam tips.  I'd really like to try them if someone can point me in the right direction (I'm in the US).

StereoType Audio @ Canada used to have it but it is out-of-stock now. You might need to order it from pjbox.co.uk..

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #520 of 583
those jay foams, how much time they resist? about 2 months? or like normal tips if well cared, 2+ years?

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #522 of 583

Quote:
They are foam tips.. so i dont think they can last more than six months.

Yep, 6 months is impossible unless it is Shure olive. I get 2~3 months out of each pair and I have pretty clean ears. I am switching to Nakamichi's single flange right now and they work out better than JAYS foam and Sony hybrid, Unfortunately I have not seen them being sold online, but only in retail store.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #523 of 583
Just wanted to give my appreciation to ClieOs and this review, without which I would never have gotten the GR07.   Also love the creative title, Labor of Love!  Simply amazing IEM that made me switch from the DBA02/B2 sound signature completely(won't even listen to it any more).   One thing I wanted to mention is the incredible synergy with the Studio V.   With the dynamic firmware, the GR07 takes a step up in cleaner, more transparent sound than even my 601/uha4(standard opamp).   I would describe the increase in clarity between the Studio V and 601/uha4 as between 30 to 50% depending on your ears and/or what's between them.LOL! 
 Listening to acoustic, vocals and even classic rock there is definate increased clarity/transparency across the spectrum.   I recently got the JH5 as a recommended "stepup" from the GR07/DBA/B2 fellows, yet incorrect fit has kept me from making any comparisons.   In terms of tips I use the small oval stock tips, not a deep insertion kind of guy..in terms of tips.  Did try all 3 sizes of the Jays, but their tips are slightly different diameter so I couldn't get a comfortable fit.   I also want to mention that I've come across some suggested GR07 upgrades, from the sonys 7750, ex1000, re272 and jphonic k2 sp.   If I'm not happy with the JH5 I'll definately explore those. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #525 of 583
Hello, I just registered today so yeah. Can I wear these IEMs with cables hanging down from my ears and not have to wrap it around my ears? I wear glasses and find it uncomfortable to wrap any IEM cables around my ears. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back