[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Jun 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #361 of 583
IMO dynamic range contributes a significant amount to the quality described as "musical".

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #362 of 583
Musicality means it sounds like music, literally. It is not a very strict audio term but you should be easily understandable for those who has gone to live performance before, especially classical. If you listen to a classical recording on any decent IEM, you can pick up individual string, brass, etc as the music seems to shift its 'focus' on different instruments that come to play. But if you are listening in live, everything tends to be more harmonic, coherent and often more emotional. Some IEM is great at reproducing the recording, but some are great at reproducing the music - that is what musicality is about.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #363 of 583

Quote:
Musicality means it sounds like music, literally. It is not a very strict audio term but you should be easily understandable for those who has gone to live performance before, especially classical. If you listen to a classical recording on any decent IEM, you can pick up individual string, brass, etc as the music seems to shift its 'focus' on different instruments that come to play. But if you are listening in live, everything tends to be more harmonic, coherent and often more emotional. Some IEM is great at reproducing the recording, but some are great at reproducing the music - that is what musicality is about.

Well said.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #365 of 583

So how do I go about ordering stuff from TaoBao? I am trying to use a translator but just am not sure how I go about doing this, or if they allow sales from out of country. These tips look good (like a wider mouth/core version of the Shure Olives) so wouldn't mind trying them but need a wee bit of guidance.

Thanks

Quote:
i think i posted it a couple of pages before.

but anyway here's the link - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9014594846

I ordered 6 pairs and request for 3 x small n 3 x medium
but it seems that all the 6 pairs that came are all same size.

Somehow i feel that they sound better then my hybrid clone. Cant really remember how the hybrid sounds with them anyone.
iirc these tips improves the bass(might be due to better seal). 
Did not really try the stock foam tip as they are too big for me n also the stock foam "bounce" back into shape too fast. Not like the comply or yellow shure foam, so i wasnt really able to put them into my ears.

Oh btw the seller would ask u what phones are u using them for so i m pretty sure they have different tips of different nozzle size/phones.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #366 of 583
For me i got it thru an agent.(I m from Singapore)
Taobao only accepts China credit card.
Maybe u can try asking DaBomb77766 and get him to ship some to you(iirc his in china)
Or u can also ask cryonhead as he mentioned in the other threads his in china too. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551262/finally-i-know-where-these-fake-sennheiser-ie8s-are-coming-from/30#post_7445988

or use this http://taobaofocus.com/order/taobao-shipping-fees-calculator

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #367 of 583
New review incoming:
 I've just received my VSonic GR07, so the review is for an unburned pair.
I think Taobao includes extra tips now, or at least thrown them in to compensate for extended time of delivery?
There are olive style foamies, Sony Hybrids and the usual assortment of silicone (incl. biflange) EDIT: Now using medium Hybrids. Preferable to biflanges.
For now I haven't really experimented with tips; the following review is done using the stock medium biflanges.

TL;DR note: Total rating is 4.9/5 - these beat Senn IE8 to my ears at half the price!

Let's start with more "objective" things:
1) Cable is truly good quality. Thick, good matte PTFE coatng (I think it's PTFE), heavy duty plug.
The strain relief by earpieces is suprisingly capable. No microphonics, cable spring is low.
2) Frequency response: ONE wide hump of about +4 dB 3-6 kHz. I hear this one will drop with burn-in, we'll see. This is excellent. They don't really need any equalization.
Bandwidth estimated 16 Hz - 18.5kHz - very good. Bass starts rolling off around 28 Hz. EDIT: On hybrids, the hump moves upwards: 4-7k. This is preferable, less sibilant.
3) No adverse harmonics measured or noticed. They don't have any thick or warm feeling to the sound.
4) Impulse response is very good, no fake "fast" bass ringing!
5) High-ish impedance, but can be driven by my crummy cell phone - and with little hiss to boot. Amping improves high end extension.
6) Pretty low isolation in high frequencies with the bi-flanges. Other tips might work better for this.

Now to the subjectives:
1) Port angle regulation is a very useful thing, they fit like a glove and I get excellent in-ear fit.
2) The higher-mid boost seems to add a bit of grainy "rock" feeling to music, cymbal and sitar emphasis, usually not unpleasant and easy to equalize out. Kind of similar to Senn IE7 in this regard, but clearly superior and unveiled. EDIT: Using Hybrid tips, grainy feeling is reduced.
3) Soundstage is pretty decent in width. Due to the hump, depth is slightly reduced, sounding a bit too intimate at times, esp. female vocal - fixing the frequency response makes it just about perfect. A bit of vertical positioning is also present, though not a lot.
4) Bass is nicely rounded with just right timbre and impact.
5) The music gets ethereal airy endless treble quality to it - unlike most dynamics, perhaps except RE252 and RE0. However the bass is far better than either of these.
6) Zero or close to zero midrange bass bleed.
7) When driven from a better source, they seem to slightly smooth out in a good way, sounding a bit more refined.

Tested on albums/tracks:
- Disillusion - Gloria
- Infected Mushroom - IM the supervisor
- Shpongle - Nothing Lasts
- Lao Che - Powstanie Warszawskie
- Dragon Age: Origins Soundtrack
- Kurt Moll - W.A. Mozart, "O wie ich will triumfieren" aria
- Closterkeller - Nero
- Kotoko - assorted tracks
- Dark Tranquility - Projector
- Dream Theater - Metropolis
- Queen - Queen I & II
- Total Annihilation - Soundtrack
- Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
- Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
- Freespace 2 - Soundtrack

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #368 of 583

Quote:
New review incoming:
I think Taobao includes extra tips now, or at least thrown them in to compensate for extended time of delivery?
There are olive style foamies, Sony Hybrids and the usual assortment of silicone (incl. biflange) EDIT: Now using medium Hybrids. Preferable to biflanges.
For now I haven't really experimented with tips; the following review is done using the stock medium biflanges.

- Freespace 2 - Soundtrack

Really, yours came with hybrids?  Mine just came with a whole bunch of extra foam tips, which have long since decored themselves.

Also, Freespace 2 is awesome.  Really, I can't believe there isn't a sequel yet...well I can, but I wish there was.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #369 of 583
New review incoming:

Great information!

I hope you will follow up with an addendum after they have burned in. I'm particularly interested to know whether the 3k-6k hump really smooths out, and if any other significant changes occur. How did you measure it, btw?

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #370 of 583
Thanks for your impressions. 

Can't wait to get mine. Ever since i ordered  from LMUE the days have been so slow... 
etysmile.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #371 of 583
ClieOs or Anyone Else,

1.)  What you have the Clip+ EQ settings at?

Flat or customized (shape?)?...
I'm currently trying to find the right EQ for the GR07.

2.)  Also, which Comply tips work with the GR07?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townyj
How does the Clip+ sound with these..?? Ive been toying with the idea of purchasing a 80gig 5.5G Ipod Video, for rockbox. Do i need another player... Hell no! I just want to spend some money :wink:

Quote:
Quite good, nothing to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back