[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
May 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #271 of 583
I think LMUE is the better choice if they have stock again but this other company did right by me. I was actually lucky as they had just started to sell these and initially were only $150 so offered $145 and landed them for that price with shipping included. I think they realized they could be charging more and have adjusted their prices accordingly. I'm just happy to such an amazing sound for such a reasonable price.

Guess I will be having a garage sale in the next week or two though as I clear out my other gear as I am almost 100% sure these are going to be my new go to IEM.

May 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #273 of 583
OH I forgot, assuming nobody has any issue with these looking like they are fakes...

Yes, they look like mine, bought from LMUE.

Wow, that's quite the endorsement you've given these 'phones.

It wears so easily, and a good seal just happens, no muss, no fuss.

About the only thing which is a very slight let down for me is the cable. It looks like the IE8 cable, but it has memory and tangles way too easily. Otherwise, the GR07 is a special 'phone, indeed.

May 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #274 of 583
Just grabbed a pair of Shure Olive tips and using a pair of needle nose pliers stretched the hole and put them on so far I like them even more but will switch back and forth a few days so see which tip I prefer the most, so far they are all comfortable. The cable does look like it will have a bit of memory/tangle issues but thats OK as most of the IEM's I have owned have had similar issues.

I have to say the more I listen to these the more I will be standing behind my initial statement. I know for others these won't be the best IEM they have heard and I am sure that other higher priced IEM's will pants these but I think they compete against the $400 IEM's I have heard very easily.

May 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #277 of 583
Can anyone here give a quick off-the-top-of-their-head comparison between the GR07 and the ATH-CK10? From what I have read, it would seem the CK10 has better a clearer, more pin-point soundstage and resolution all-around, except in the bass department, where it is also ever so slightly light. Since lend me ur ears has these back in stock, would the price difference ($155 shipped vs. $255 shipped) be worth it or not? Bass is important to me, but I am willing to do some EQ'ing to get something closer to the sound signature I like, in case the CK10 is too light in the bottom.

The below is probably a bit too much to read about my sound preferences, but in case you do... well... apprecriated.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555672/suggest-a-price-range-sweet-spot-for-someone-who-likes-the-sound-of-hd600

May 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #278 of 583
Here's a small list, several songs of which I used in past reviews and are staples of what I use when reviewing.

Jazz - listening to Patricia Barber - Miss Otis Regrets, Light my Fire
Celtic - Loreena McKennit - Stolen Child, Lullaby, Carrighfergus (male singing)
Hard Rock - AC/DC - Cold Hearted Man, Let There be Rock, Led Zeppelin - All of my Love, Over the Hills and Far Away, Dazed and Confused, Pink Floyd - High Hopes, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Kansas - Hopelessly Human, Dust in the Wind, Heart - Magic Man, Barracuda
Rock - Meatloaf - Two out of Three Aint Bad, Heaven Can Wait, Supertramp - Rudy, Crime of the Century, Eagles - New Kid in Town, Hotel California, 7 Bridges Road
Classical - Choral music, Arvo Part (choral and stringed instruments), I have not tried a lot of full size orchestra pieces.
Folk/Country/Accoustic - Blue Rodeo - 5 Days in May, Dark Angel, Johnny Cash - Hurt, I Hung my Head
Misc - Sting - The Hounds of Winter, I Hung my Head, Lithium Sunset

OK now I have to be honest. I am going by memory in regards to the IE8 and MTPC as I do not have them on hand to do a true A/B test. But from memory and my own reviews I know what I struggled with the most with both those IEM's so can say why I think the GR07 is better. The bottom line is the IE8 were to dark and the mids to veiled for some of the music I liked best. When the IE8 worked they were stunning but when they didn't work well... they didn't work so well. In fact there are a couple songs I have listed that very well will sound better from the IE8 (I won't say which as it will be interesting to see if you have a similar opinion, one song in particular sacred the pants off me at the beginning when I first heard it on the IE8 but again I won't say which :wink: ). The MTPC was just to hot in the lower treble for me and the sound stage wasn't quite what I like size wise (little to small).

I also have to say I am a sucker for a bargain and at the price of the GR07 they are a bargain when compared to these other IEM's considering they retail for half or more the price of the other gear and are at least arguably as good as that gear.

May 26, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #279 of 583
Can anyone here give a quick off-the-top-of-their-head comparison between the GR07 and the ATH-CK10? From what I have read, it would seem the CK10 has better a clearer, more pin-point soundstage and resolution all-around, except in the bass department, where it is also ever so slightly light. Since lend me ur ears has these back in stock, would the price difference ($155 shipped vs. $255 shipped) be worth it or not? Bass is important to me, but I am willing to do some EQ'ing to get something closer to the sound signature I like, in case the CK10 is too light in the bottom.

The below is probably a bit too much to read about my sound preferences, but in case you do... well... apprecriated.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555672/suggest-a-price-range-sweet-spot-for-someone-who-likes-the-sound-of-hd600

Say, I have both of those!

They are quite different from each other. I won't talk about soundstage, since it's not something I focus on much, but I will talk about general FR characteristics (to my ear, that is).

Many feel the CK10 is treble oriented, and in a way I can see what they mean. To me it's an extremely balanced treble. It matches in amplitude, generally speaking, the mids and bass. So the result is a rather flat curve. Now for many, this is too much treble, as they are used to/prefer a treble which rolls off.

My experience with the GR07 is that the mids are a tad recessed, as compared to the CK10. But it's not a huge thing at all. Without A/B'ing them, it can be tough to notice the difference.

For bass, the GR07 and CK10 differ quite a lot. The CK10 is faster, despite the GR07 being quite fast itself. But the CK10 rolls off rather abruptly below 50Hz, and so if you really enjoy the low bass frequencies (some call it sub-bass I guess) I don't think an EQ will help much. It certainly didn't for me. Someone did a tone test and declared that there is output well below 50Hz, but I can't hear it with actual music. The GR07, by comparison, has (almost?) the same sub bass extension as the IE8, but without the mid bass bloat which comes with the IE8. To my mind, it really is perfect. That it isn't as fast as the CK10 isn't necessarily a bad thing either, since it tends result in a fuller, thicker, sound. However, I don't want to dimish the value of the CK10 bass, because it's very fast and precise sounding, and that can be quite enjoyable for me.

I think the two 'phones are complementary. I tend to pick between them depending on what I'm listening to. If the song is overly trebly, I go for the GR07, and if it's mixed with too much bass, I go for the CK10. If it demands pounding bass, definitely the GR07! I generally prefer the CK10 for rock and metal. The GR07 is great when the source material is questionable.

A quick peek at your link says you will be 70% electronica... I'd probably say the GR07 is a better fit. Underworld's Barking CD is absolutely stunning on the GR07, while a bit thin on CK10.

May 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #280 of 583
dweaver,

I don't have quite a bit of that selection, though I have some. I also have other songs by some of those artists, so I'll do what I can.

May 26, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #281 of 583
Hm, a quick observation I made:  there seems to be a number on a little sticker on the side of the box, opposite to the clasp.  Mine says 00088.  Could be a serial number...anyone else have one of these too?  Mind posting what your number is?

Also, it seems that after tweaking the nozzle around a whole lot, the nozzle on the left earpiece is looser than the nozzle on the right earpiece now...it's quite easy to move out of position now.  I guess I can live with it though.

May 26, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #282 of 583
Hmmm that is interesting about the number, mine is 00058. If they are serial numbers they have not sold to many of these as of yet :).

May 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #283 of 583
Thanks AngryBaconGod!

I think that does it. I find the sub 50Hz region to be important, so the GR07 seems like the choice for me.

It's back at lend me ur ears for USD 155 shipped and it sounds like this is a good choice for my tastes. I can't listen to it without buying it, so I'll just bite the bullet and get the GR07.

Thank you all here at head-fi for the impressions you write: this is really a great forum.

May 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #284 of 583
Good luck justAsking; I think at that price from LMUE thats a heck of a deal and you should jump on a pair. These have almost the same amount of detail as my SM3 with much better bass (deeper and more impactfull and more extended treble). I will do a full A/B comparsion over the next while but the only thing I think the SM3 will have on these is a bit more detail, slightly faster, and the sound stages are completey different which depending on what your listening to will disctate which one you like more. THe GR07 has a more traditional sound stage while the SM3 sort of pluncks you smack dab in the middle of the music.

May 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #285 of 583
so your saying, they pretty much top the Shure 215's. Since Im super new to hi end IEM's but not to music. And the Shure's are the first ones I've ever owned, But now I have the CK10's comming my way and if the Vsonic are better than the Shure's Im getting the Gr07 and selling off the Shure's to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back