[REVIEW] Vsonic GR06: WOW!!!
Jun 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Swimsonny

Aka: thegardener & ScooterBilly
Undeclared Member of the Trade: Inearspace
writing positive reviews of products he was reselling.
[size=13.0pt]VSonic GR06 Review[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Intro[/size]
[size=13.0pt]So the VSonic Gr06, I am sure by now that you have heard of it. Through out this review, like all my reviews, I will be reviewing, as it is not thinking about how much they are. However while you read the review think about this, Frogbeats in the UK sell it for £40 and that’s after a recent price raise.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]So we have established one think, these are fairly cheap and could easily be considered as budget earphones. So who are VSonic? VSonic are a Chinese earphone company who took the audiophile world by storm with one of their first earphones, the GR07 (which I still not have the pleasure to try). The reason they were such a hit was to do with their rather cheap price (£100 yeh I know not cheap, but humour me) and the awesome quality that it offered. Since then they have done big things with their own take on a TWFK dual balanced armature (BA) driven earphone and also a range of budget earphones that are all meant to re define what you can get in a price bracket which are the GR02 (and its bass edition), GR99, GR04 and then these the GR06. So they are pretty busy company by the looks of things, so lets go.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]I would also like to thanks Nuckin Futz for allowing me to loan these.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Set-up[/size]
[size=13.0pt]Have been doing most listening of these with my Cowon J3 and FLAC and MP3 but also my iPhone 4 so that I really got to know these earphones. As for tips I chose to use some medium Phonak tips that I found to offer both the best comfort and sound from these earphones compared to Sony Hybrid tips.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Build Quality/Design[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The GR06 incorporates an odd colour scheme as well as an odd shape for a housing of an earphone.  I say this in not a bad way and I quite like the unique design. They have a brown cable and housing and they also have a square housing. I think this is all pretty cool and appreciate them aesthetically for their colour. I though I would also mention about the nozzle on these. It articulates on roughly a 45 degrees rotation so that you can get the most effective fit on these.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]The jack and y-split of these seem to be used in a little of earphones coming out of Chine and Asia recently and they and they seem to be almost identical to what you get with HiSoundAudio earphones. This is a good thing as I think they are very solidly built.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]So starting of these have a right-angled jack which has a gold plated plug and a solid black housing with the VSonic logo on it. The strain relied on them is a bit on the short side but still nothing to worry about. The cable on the GR06s is considered by some to be ‘the best’ and I can see why. Personally the only better cable I have encountered is the Phonak PFE cable. So why is it so good? It is a mixture to its thickness which is only around average (maybe slightly thicker), the suppleness and flexibility which is possible the best and finally its resistance to tangling which will give you no problems, forget the weak Beats by Dre flat cable. The y-split is the same solid plastic as in the jack housing and does also have a slightly longer strain relief but it is nit flexible at all. One thing these do sadly lack, yes there is one thing, is a cable cinch but I have seen some very nice DIY work by some people making one fairly simply.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]The housings do not have a conventional strain relief and the cables just go straight into the housing. The housings are all a lightweight plastic. [/size]

[size=13.0pt]I am very happy with the build of these.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Accessories[/size]
[size=13.0pt]As these are on loan I do not have the accessory kit but just the case. The case is a spring clasp cloth pouch which is portable and everything but not so protective.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]As I have not had anything else I will give you a list:[/size]
[size=13.0pt]1 Set Foam Ear Tips, 1 Set of Bi Flanges, 3 Sets of Hybrids with Foam, 3 Silicone Ear Tips (S/M/L), 5 Sets of Hybrids, Silicone Ear Hook, Storage Case, Warranty Card[/size]

[size=13.0pt]So from the list there is not a lot more other than quite literally (maybe not) a million tips. I can only say this is a good thing and will result in a great fit there. Also from experience with cable guides in the past they are quite handy, as to how good the ones with these are I can unfortunately not say.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Comfort/Fit[/size]
[size=13.0pt]Well when I first saw pictures of these I did not think the looked comfortable due to the square housing. DO NOT LET THIS PUT YOU OFF. With the articulating nozzle this are extremely ergonomic and therefore comfy.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Together with the Phonak tips, ergonomic rotating nozzle and the light plastic housing, these fit extremely pleasantly.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Isolation[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The isolation with Phonak tips is never anything special and there is no change here with you being able to here snippets of the outside world. However if you chose to switch to the stock triple flange tips I am sure that you would get much higher levels of ambient noise reduction.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Microphonics (Cable Noise)[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The cable as I have already mentioned is great. It is also great in this category and you will suffer no annoyance from burn in. This is mainly because they fit over the ear but the cable also contributes to it.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]These have been used and burned in by the owner of these. [/size]
[size=13.0pt]Soundstage and instrument separation[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The soundstage of these is perhaps just more than averagely wide but have no depth to them what so ever. These are actually fairly fast for dynamic and separate instruments fairly well with almost slightly airy sense.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Bass[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The bass probably the most surprising part when I started listening to these. I was expecting small quantity yet tight bass. Not what I got at all. These are not bass heavy earphones but they have very warm bass, which gives of the impression that there is more than there is. At the end of the day the mid-bass quantity will surely satisfy pretty much anyone. The thing is though it is slow and loose, and instead of hitting hard and fast it sort of just slowly washes over you. It is still not bloated and only slightly boomy[/size]

[size=13.0pt]The extension into sub-bass regions is excellent and you are not left with out rumble. Not head pounding like I got with my Thinksound ms01 but a quantity that you can appreciate and it compliments the mid-bass really quite nice.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Midrange[/size]
[size=13.0pt]One word could probably describe as much as a thousand and you have to hear the earphones to really appreciate the mids of the GR06. So these are mid-centric earphones due to the mid being forward. They are beautifully airy and sweet and have a touch of warmth from the bass. They have just other a natural decay which is quite pleasant and are also revealing enough to show of nice details. Instruments are nice but the vocals are even better and they steal the show. The mids are so good I have been tempted to buy a pair being a mid head and these have some truly FANTASTIC mids. [/size]

[size=13.0pt]Treble[/size]
[size=13.0pt]The treble I am going to be harsh on as I think that is maybe ‘worst’ bit of the GR06 sound. The first thing that you notice is that it is sibilant and although that is no be or end all of nay earphones it is of course not ideal. Looking passed that I have found that it rolls of quickly and leaves no extended sparkle. It is also fairly recessed, for example when you are going to listen to a nice guitar solo instead of it sitting way in front of what else is going on, with these the guitar seems to just blend in. Other than that it is quite smooth.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Overall[/size]
[size=13.0pt]So pretty positive review being a review done at price no object hey! So lets bring this all down to their price of £40 and all I can say is go buy one, NOW! You will not be disappointed and even if you do not like the sound of the signature I think VSonic deserve you to give it a try, as I am sure you will love it! I can now only wonder how good the GR07 are as these compete handily with a lot of my earphones ranging up to £120. For £40 you cannot go wrong with this package of sound, accessories and build quality. Easiest recommendation I have ever made.[/size]

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 104
Quote:
hi buddy! long time , huh ? 
nice review! didnt know you were getting these!

Haha yeh it has been indeed. How are you going, got anything new lately.
Yeh actually another member in the UK was kind enough to loan me and i loaned him my Phonak PFE in exchange.
I have still got quite a few more in coming at the moment, check my round ups latest chart on the OP for a list of them!

Oh and thanks of course, i whole heartily recommend these!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 104
Heh, great review! 
smile.gif

Yeah the GR06 is such a great IEM for the price. I do agree though, that it's the harshness in the treble that really brings its price down, just that I see this weakness as a fair reason to have its price lower... 
wink.gif
 Should the GR06 not have this problem... Ohhh boy.. 
redface.gif

Although I do think that saying that is a bit much, especially since I compare the GR06 to it's older brothers (the GR07 and GR01) which are around, or more than, three times the price and is able to perform respectably.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 104
Quote:
Heh, great review! 
smile.gif

Yeah the GR06 is such a great IEM for the price. I do agree though, that it's the harshness in the treble that really brings its price down, just that I see this weakness as a fair reason to have its price lower... 
wink.gif
 Should the GR06 not have this problem... Ohhh boy.. 
redface.gif

Although I do think that saying that is a bit much, especially since I compare the GR06 to it's older brothers (the GR07 and GR01) which are around, or more than, three times the price and is able to perform respectably.

Thanks!

Yeh i did not want to seem like i was bashing its treble as many reviews say how great the treble is etc which i really did not find at all, the bass lacks tightness but that some how works, the treble did not. Well yeh, the forward mids just made me forget about the treble half the time though!

Yeh i can only imagine what the GR07 and GR01 sound like and i think the loaner who sent me the GR06 will let me loan his GR07 so i am quite excited! I have always read about how good Vsonic are etc. and it takes hearing one to believe the hype!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha yeh it has been indeed. How are you going, got anything new lately.
Yeh actually another member in the UK was kind enough to loan me and i loaned him my Phonak PFE in exchange.
I have still got quite a few more in coming at the moment, check my round ups latest chart on the OP for a list of them!

Oh and thanks of course, i whole heartily recommend these!

lucky you to got the chance to try them (so jealous 
mad.gif
 )
i'm surprised you rated then higher than the Crystal

as for me, my Eterna betrayed me. so i have NOTHING now (only my old and beloved K312 , they just ROCK)

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 104
Quote:

mad.gif
 )

as for me, my Eterna betrayed me. so i have NOTHING now (only my old and beloved K312 , they just ROCK)

Ahaha, i was quite lucky to be honest that Nuckin Futz let me loan them, very, ver kind of him!
I think they comfortably beat the Crystal both in my preference and their technical ability.

Aaah, real shame to hear that mate, well at least you have some were to listen to music from even if they are just earbuds! I would look at picking a pair of these up if you are looking at a new pair! You will be happy!

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 104
Ahaha, i was quite lucky to be honest that Nuckin Futz let me loan them, very, ver kind of him!
I think they comfortably beat the Crystal both in my preference and their technical ability.

Aaah, real shame to hear that mate, well at least you have some were to listen to music from even if they are just earbuds! I would look at picking a pair of these up if you are looking at a new pair! You will be happy!

No problem bud, and if your a good boy I'll lend you the 07 :p

What's interesting is how much we agree on the sound except the treble. I quite enjoy the treble on them, I didn't really find them sibilant....only on tracks I believed to be sibilant in the first place. Of course this could be down to having old ears, or just not being as suseptable to sibilance as I thought. I did find there was a peak though in the upper mid range where some vocals could become almost too much.

One of these tracks is 'Invisible kid' by Metallica off the 'St Anger' album. His vocals are covered in sibilance, I think Bob Rock threw out all production techniques for this album....probably why most people hate it!

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 104
Quote:
Quote:

mad.gif
 )

i'm not getting these, until Frogbeats get a new stock, i just love their service. but isolation wont be enough for me, probably... 
there'r also some other earphones around $60 ( +10 or -10 ) that i have in mind

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:
No problem bud, and if your a good boy I'll lend you the 07
tongue.gif

What's interesting is how much we agree on the sound except the treble. I quite enjoy the treble on them, I didn't really find them sibilant....only on tracks I believed to be sibilant in the first place. Of course this could be down to having old ears, or just not being as suseptable to sibilance as I thought. I did find there was a peak though in the upper mid range where some vocals could become almost too much.
One of these tracks is 'Invisible kid' by Metallica off the 'St Anger' album. His vocals are covered in sibilance, I think Bob Rock threw out all production techniques for this album....probably why most people hate it!

Maybe it is just the quality of treble that i am comparing against. How you hear an earphone is very down to what else that you have heard. I say a bit more about sibilance down below but i do think these are sibilant and i hear sibilance on tracks were i do not with other earphones.
As for mid range peaks their is on but not to the level of ASG-1 and i love that and i love these for that reason. But yes to other people it could understandably be too much.
Yeh just put it on now. I have never been a fan of this album to be honest, i will no test with a non sibilant earphone to see as this currently very sibilant! 

As i expected no sibilance with the ASG-1s on this song!
Quote:
i'm not getting these, until Frogbeats get a new stock, i just love their service. but isolation wont be enough for me, probably... 
there'r also some other earphones around $60 ( +10 or -10 ) that i have in mind

Nah isolation is not that bad, slightly off the Crystal, and i am sure if you stick some triple flanges on you will be sweet. I can not see any other earphones at this price competing with these but you nether know whats out their!
Quote:
Great review. I hear them the same way, except for the sibilance.

Thanks mate! Yeh, the sibilance is not as bad as the DBA-02 but is present, not unbearable or nothing but present.

Quote:
Awesome review, my workout set, love them. Sound similar to the asg-1's with the forward mids, but much better overall "IMO".

Thanks mate! They do sound similar but are much warmer. I do not think they are technically close with sped and detail but because of frequency preferences i understand you opinion. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 104
Maybe it is just the quality of treble that i am comparing against. How you hear an earphone is very down to what else that you have heard. I say a bit more about sibilance down below but i do think these are sibilant and i hear sibilance on tracks were i do not with other earphones.
As for mid range peaks their is on but not to the level of ASG-1 and i love that and i love these for that reason. But yes to other people it could understandably be too much.
Yeh just put it on now. I have never been a fan of this album to be honest, i will no test with a non sibilant earphone to see as this currently very sibilant! 

As i expected no sibilance with the ASG-1s on this song!

Yes indeed. I'm listening to the same track on the CAL's and I still get it. It's not all the song but mostly lyrics sung from 1:55-2:35....really bad!
Can't wait to listen to the ASG's man!
Oh forgot to say...great review!

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 104
Quote:
Yes indeed. I'm listening to the same track on the CAL's and I still get it. It's not all the song but mostly lyrics sung from 1:55-2:35....really bad!
Can't wait to listen to the ASG's man!
Oh forgot to say...great review!

Yeh i listened to the whole song first with the GR06, then ASG-1 and finally the EX1000s. Maybe just maybe bit rate of music but then i do not have it very high, I have it in 320, you? It is quite funny as the other day i wa listening to my favourite metallica song, unforgiven II, reload and i noticed the bass drums, i forgot what seconds, are very shaky and nadd for a bit. Was quite surprised at the flaw.

Hmmm your still pretty set on loaning the ASGs then :wink: I was gonna say maybe the DBA-02 as then you will gain an understanding of what i use to reference highs! The thing is with the ASGs, you have to be prepared to handle their MASSIVE mid spike.

Oh, don't worry but thanks man!

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 104
Quote:
Yeh i listened to the whole song first with the GR06, then ASG-1 and finally the EX1000s. Maybe just maybe bit rate of music but then i do not have it very high, I have it in 320, you? It is quite funny as the other day i wa listening to my favourite metallica song, unforgiven II, reload and i noticed the bass drums, i forgot what seconds, are very shaky and nadd for a bit. Was quite surprised at the flaw.

Hmmm your still pretty set on loaning the ASGs then :wink: I was gonna say maybe the DBA-02 as then you will gain an understanding of what i use to reference highs! The thing is with the ASGs, you have to be prepared to handle their MASSIVE mid spike.

Oh, don't worry but thanks man!

Since you have the EX1000 to tide over, why not send in your ASG-1 to get revised? The improvement is virtually night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back