Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Sep 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #241 of 828
Quote:
Being new..with my Violectric V800, V200, Audeze LCD-2's and (now) Amarra....(I tried a HiFace 2 USB interface but could discern no difference in the sound in my Mac setup so back it went to Amazon)....  I am rediscovering my whole catalog of music in a new sonic environment. What I am finding is something good and something bad.... some recordings that I merely "liked" before are so well recorded (and that fact is brought to light by this equipment), and I am more than WOWED by that sonic purity along with the music,  while some of my other recordings where I have really "LOVED" the music in the past are poorly recorded and this fact is screamingly obvious now...and it is disappointing as the poor tech quality of the recording takes away from the music big time.  It took me a little time to realize what was going on.  At first I thought, Hey this expensive equipment is no better the my Skull Candy Buds plugged into the headphone jack on my Mac....but alas...I think I realize the truth now.  So this is kind of a love hate thing for me right now!!!! LOL! Has anyone else experienced this mini roller-coaster ride?
I plan on purchasing a Anedio D2 DAC (as I am on the waiting list for the Sept. batch), for a small 300B tube amp/bookshelf speaker set up I am putting together,   so I will have something to compare the Violectrics to when I get the new DAC. This should be fun and interesting and I am looking forward to it.

Shame that the HiFace 2 didn't work out for you!!!

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #244 of 828
not always. My ignorance about estat sound's killing me 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ignorance is a bliss.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #246 of 828
Quote:
Actually I never like estat sound, not even SR007, never heard SR009 though, but I ignore them, => that's ignorance  
eek.gif

You should invest in a HE-6 and some kind of speaker amp (ideally) 
overall surpasses stats. Even though the mkII is scary aural.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #247 of 828
yeah many had reported that they couldn't get along with estat and eventually come back to dynamic. But in my case I haven't listened to any estat so it's still a misery. And as a Holmes's fan I need to solve it 
rolleyes.gif

If it doesn't work then I will drop the cash on the new fostex live happy with it. 
Quote:
Actually I never like estat sound, not even SR007, never heard SR009 though, but I ignore them, => that's ignorance  
eek.gif

I have heard the he  6 in a beta 24 and it didn't impress me but it could be the amp is not ideal for it. Still love to try a speaker tab with it but not in the near future 
Quote:
You should invest in a HE-6 and some kind of speaker amp (ideally) 
overall surpasses stats. Even though the mkII is scary aural.

Back to the topic. Any one had done a direct comparison between the v800 and larvy da11 ? ZombieX and Project86 did mentioned it but never in depth. I prefer the v800 since it offer more output and the matching look with my v200 
biggrin.gif

but the image control of da11 is interesting ( don't know how it works in real life through) 

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #249 of 828
Quote:

Back to the topic. Any one had done a direct comparison between the v800 and larvy da11 ? ZombieX and Project86 did mentioned it but never in depth. I prefer the v800 since it offer more output and the matching look with my v200 
biggrin.gif

but the image control of da11 is interesting ( don't know how it works in real life through) 

I have both, in the following systems :

1) DA11 or V800 - Vovox balanced cables - Phonitor - HD650 / HD800
2) DA11 or V800 - some cardas cables - Stax 323S - SR 507.

I've only used them both so far with USB. I personally prefer the DA11. They're both roughly the same in every way, except that I find the V800's sound to be a little hollow and thin (typically what some people refer as the "Sabre" sound, although it doesn't have a Sabre chip inside). The DA11 seems "matter" to me (although trebles are just as grainless and silky / sparkly as the V800), more substantial, fleshier, PRATier, wit more body, substance (pick your favorite words). Detail retrieval is too close for me to say that one is better than another one. Soundstage is something I've never really got with headphones anyway, so I wouldn't be able to tell you which one images best. They're both as grainy / grainless as the other. This impression may change using a different input than USB.
I really like the extra goodies of the DA11, but not the ones you may think about. The PIC system is like every other imaging tricks on DACs / amps (including the Phonitor), basically not really convincing. What I really like though is the ability to switch on / off the main output, which allows me to "switch off" the sound, but not the DAC, allowing for zero transient when "switching on" (in reality just reactivating the output). I quite like the stepped volume control, although the lever is a pain.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #252 of 828
Quote:
Violectric has really put out a stunning product that deserves attention also in the audio mastering field.
I've read a review from a guy who has a blog in australia.He does a lot of dac reviews and placed the v800 among average products saying :

"Whichever way you string it, there's a slightly superior option elsewhere, sometimes for a diminished wallet hit. In short, the Violectric V800's rivals are either cheaper or better specified. In a few select cases, said competition's sound possesses greater resolution and superior musical poise. However, if you're looking for a sound that's unashamedly unromantic, of dry humour, straight spoken and tight - where bass tightness translates to bass leanness - then you might just find the Violectric V800 ticks your boxes. Das ist ein groovy beat, ja?"

i totally disagree with him.That's why i almost never read reviews by audiophile guys who don't have trained ears or do comparison tests in average listening enviroments.

I tested the v800 with plenty of reference material and all my impressions are really positive.Let's say it has upgraded my whole listening chain.

recommended!!!
thumb.gif

Have you had the chance to check out and compare the V800 to other studio DACs,excepted Mytek Stereo 96? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #253 of 828
Quote:

Have you had the chance to check out and compare the V800 to other studio DACs,excepted Mytek Stereo 96? 

No at the moment.By the way i've always considered the mytek stereo96 a very good dac especially for audio mastering purposes.V800 has more detail more articulation on transients
more extension on both side of the frequency spectrum and gives you a better picture of all the flaws coming from the recording you are listening to.
My V800 is fed by the hiface two with a bluejeans spdif cable and the stock power cable of the dac has been replaced with a custom made one built with military grade silver plated copper.
Two days ago  i've updated the hiface two drivers and the sonic perfomance of the combo has gone a step ahead.This weekend i'll try this with the hiface two:

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

if there'll be a clear improvement i'll post a brief review.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #254 of 828
Quote:

.......... I prefer OFF...more natural sounding to me, especially on Redbook. With BEST, I find the music having a little artificial smoothness to it, plus a little sheen that glosses over the entire spectrum. 

I've had several occaisions to listen to my V800 with resample mode in the OFF position. While I do find it brighter than BEST, I still prefer BEST.

I tend to listen at, say, volumes where lower frequencies like 30 Hz and below need no augmentation:wink: At those volumes I find that BEST has the right balance in terms of clarity, naturalness, and amount of high frequency energy in the music.

PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back