Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Nov 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #211 of 625
I have some Miracles on order at the moment, so I can't (yet) add to the discussion from direct experience, however, I did find the following interesting:

Some have questioned how the Miracles can sound neutral and balanced, given that their frequency response chart appears rather uneven:

(http://www.compudio.ca/2010/08/unique-melody-miracle-new-benchmark.html)

If one looks at the following curve depicting human hearing sensitivity:

(http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/audiofool/WindowsLiveWriter/LouderSoundsBetter_12855/FletcherMunson_EqualLoudness2.jpg)

...it's intriguing, if one inverts the Miracles' response chart and juxtaposes it with the above curves (adjusting the scale proportions to match):

or flipped the other way up, whichever way you prefer to compare them:

Whilst I certainly don't claim there is a direct correlation, there are nonetheless some striking similarities.

However, in spite of the similarities observed when inverting one chart against the other, unless I'm reading the human hearing chart incorrectly, the response of the Miracles (and that of many other BA IEMs) appears at odds with what would be an ideal compensatory frequency response, rather than coherent with such an ideal. Shouldn't the charts closely resemble one another without one being inverted? By this, I mean that the chart appears to state that human hearing becomes less sensitive at the frequency extremes - and loudpseakers and headphones/IEMs tend to roll off at the frequency extremes. ...Or perhaps I'm just tired (it's just past 4 am as I type this!). If the frequency response of transducers really is at odds with the frequency sensitivities of human hearing, then, even allowing for the complexities of human psychoacoustics, it seems strange that people should perceive the Miracles, UEMS, or whatever, as being so 'neutral'.

For reference, this is a screenshot of one of Ultimate Ears' CIEM 'Golden Curves' (I'm not certain which model it refers to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPpHBFsvmlg

Of course, these are just frequency curves, and it is subjective sound quality which ultimately matters the most - something I hope to be able to comment upon once I receive my own pair of Miracles. I'm not optimistic that that'll happen this side of Christmas, though, since UM must be inundated with orders at the moment, what with their global promotions.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #212 of 625
Mython

When did you order yours? This is my 5th week of waiting and even though I was told it could take up to 6 weeks the wait is seriously killing me.
frown.gif

Wonder what the average waiting time is for UM

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #213 of 625
Oh, after many years of mail-ordering goods, I've learned to let things ride and not get too attached to when things'll turn up. That's not to say I'm not eager for them to arrive, but I just let things ride.

I completed my order on the first day of this month, so you'll probably receive yours well before I do, mine.

I'm telling myself new year - if it arrives before then, then happy days!

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #215 of 625
There was a huge group buy (17 orders) that sent in their impressions late October, so orders after that time will likely take longer than 6 weeks. 

Not only that but all the other promotional offers from around the world have probably sent a bunch of their impressions in. Needless to say, they definitely have some orders to fulfill. The normal wait time is 4-6 weeks and considering their recent promotions, it's safe to assume that it would probably take closer to the 6 weeks.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #216 of 625

It took me close to 6 weeks to get my Miracle and that is before they have these worldwide promotions.
After i got it, the fit is hurting me so i have to send them back for readjustments. Its now near the 4th  week and i still havent got my  readjusted IEM back :frowning2:

I am afraid UM might just push themselves too hard.

Quote:

Mython

When did you order yours? This is my 5th week of waiting and even though I was told it could take up to 6 weeks the wait is seriously killing me.
frown.gif

Wonder what the average waiting time is for UM

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #217 of 625
I've just sent in my impressions so doesn't look like I'll be getting them anytime this year possibly!

Very keen to see what everyone's artwork is like though, it's nice that one's personality can come through even on IEMs... pretty cool!

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #218 of 625
Haha... I sent my impressions to UM Malaysia at the start of last month. It's been what, 7 weeks? My impressions only arrived at UM Lab on 29th October. Estimated build time from the time it reached UM Lab was 4-5 weeks. So hopefully 2 more weeks... T_T

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #219 of 625

Quote:
Haha... I sent my impressions to UM Malaysia at the start of last month. It's been what, 7 weeks? My impressions only arrived at UM Lab on 29th October. Estimated build time from the time it reached UM Lab was 4-5 weeks. So hopefully 2 more weeks... T_T

It will be worth the wait. Just wait till you pair it with the Twag 
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #221 of 625
It's always a delicate balance for custom IEM companies. Too few orders and they aren't making much money, but each customer gets quick service. Too many orders and they make a huge profit, at the expense of slowing down the process more than they would like.

There's really no way around it. They can't have lab techs loitering without work, nor can they instantly train someone if a bunch of orders come in. So they end up just doing the best they can. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #222 of 625
Well, although I'm eager to receive my Miracles, I'd rather the UM team take their time and do a beautiful job, technically and artistically, than let standards slip a little in order to rush through a backlog of orders.

Quality always matters more to this particular customer than speed 
popcorn.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #223 of 625

Quote:

Very keen to see what everyone's artwork is like though, it's nice that one's personality can come through even on IEMs... pretty cool!

I'll be sure to post mine, then. I've noticed not many folks have been posting artwork lately. Pity...

in the meantime, there're some mock-ups here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/456033/custom-iem-artwork-show-yours-or-use-provided-template-to-make-your-own/30#post_7901236

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #224 of 625
Just placed an order for these baby today.
Now the excruciating 7 weeks wait begins.

Opted for customs art on translucent black shells.

Left

Right

I have a feeling that these would suit me better than my previous Westone ES5.
Can't wait...

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #225 of 625

Quote:
Just placed an order for these baby today.

I have a feeling that these would suit me better than my previous Westone ES5.
Can't wait...

Oh, interesting - there's a great many people on the board who are curious about comparisons between the Miracle and the ES5 - may I ask what it is about the ES5 that you are hoping the Miracle will be different from?

Mostly, from reading around the board (and as others, who've also read around the board, have noted), there are two characteristics that seem to be spoken of:

ES5 allegedly does not have large soundstage as one of it's 'strong' points (YMMV), whereas Miracle apparently has.
Miracle allegedly has a midband that is not as 'lush' as the ES5's - some claim that ES5 is therefore better suited to vocals (YMMV)

Or is there some other reason you hope the Miracle will please your taste more than the ES5..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back