Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #196 of 625

Quote:
Is there any by chance that UM made a mistake with my Miracle ?
Cause after some burn-in and source changing nothing was improved. Should I send back my pair along with my complaints ?

Dynamic drivers are usually the ones that change with burn in.  You probably just don't like the sound signature and in that case it's unfortunate.  The biggest part of choosing a custom is choosing one that suits your actual listening preferences. 

Maybe if you talk to them, they can give you an idea of which of their line-up may suit you better.  Maybe even in an extreme case they'll redo your iem and give you a different model.  I wouldn't really expect that but who knows?

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #197 of 625

Quote:
Cause after some burn-in and source changing nothing was improved. Should I send back my pair along with my complaints ?

What do you mean by source changing? You should try at least 320kbps or FLAC to get the most out of the miracle.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #198 of 625
What do you mean by source changing? You should try at least 320kbps or FLAC to get the most out of the miracle.

Agree. Low res files aren't usable for judging the sound quality of a high end iem.
When I (very rarely) listen to 192kbps mp3 files I find them dry and harsh sounding compared to FLAC.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #199 of 625
Actually, I changed to flac/wav files but it's still not right.
Not really my taste because I asked a friend which also has a Miracle, sent him my flac files.
And he confirmed that he couldn't find the same problem.
Can wearing style/position affect my hearing experience ?

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #200 of 625
What's your problem again? too much highs in the miracle for you?

Is your seal good enough? There is a seal tester link floating around. if that's not the case then it seems like the miracle just isn't your cup of tea.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #201 of 625

Quote:
Can wearing style/position affect my hearing experience ?

Absolutely. I am new to customs and received my miracles a couple of weeks ago. I was all for sending them back until I finally got them seated properly in the ear canal. They sounded just terrible, and I thought I had a dud pair on my hands.

Having got them correctly installed, the picture changed dramatically. The sound, as they say, just blew me away.

Now, I like them even better than my beloved HE-6, and that's really saying something.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #202 of 625
Quote:
Now, I like them even better than my beloved HE-6, and that's really saying something.
biggrin.gif

Now THAT is interesting.
How's the frequency response and transparency vs. the HE-6?

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #203 of 625

Quote:
Now THAT is interesting.
How's the frequency response and transparency vs. the HE-6?

For me, the Miracles pretty much provide "Goldilocks-style" frequency response. I find the balance that they strike between low, mids and highs to be just right. The bass quantity and quality is superior to the HE-6, to my ears. Any more, would probably be a distraction - so in that sense I'm glad I did not opt for the Merlins (a bass enthusiast would obviously take the reverse position).

Transparency the Miracles has in spades, certainly more so than the HE-6's to my ears. I really can't imagine the glass in the proverbial window getting much thinner than this!  Also, as I have noted elsewhere, the Miracles manage to pull off the trick of producing a very weighty sound whilst at the same time retaining great delicacy and lightness of touch. (Something which I find to be really helpful for many forms of classical music.)

The Miracles may sound ever-so-slightly more forward in the mids than the HE-6's, but that could just be an artefact of the superior transparency.    

Finally, I should also add that I have the HE-6's pretty well amped (given their infamy in the power-hunger stakes), with a vintage TOTL HK930 dual transformer integrated receiver. So I am probably not falling into the trap of comparing the Miracles with a struggling pair of HE-6s. (As another point of reference, I confess to totally preferring the sonic signature of the HE-6 to that of the LCD2 - having previously much preferred the HD600 to the HD650.)

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #204 of 625

Quote:

For me, the Miracles pretty much provide "Goldilocks-style" frequency response. I find the balance that they strike between low, mids and highs to be just right. The bass quantity and quality is superior to the HE-6, to my ears. Any more, would probably be a distraction - so in that sense I'm glad I did not opt for the Merlins (a bass enthusiast would obviously take the reverse position).

Transparency the Miracles has in spades, certainly more so than the HE-6's to my ears. I really can't imagine the glass in the proverbial window getting much thinner than this!  Also, as I have noted elsewhere, the Miracles manage to pull off the trick of producing a very weighty sound whilst at the same time retaining great delicacy and lightness of touch. (Something which I find to be really helpful for many forms of classical music.)

The Miracles may sound ever-so-slightly more forward in the mids than the HE-6's, but that could just be an artefact of the superior transparency.    

Finally, I should also add that I have the HE-6's pretty well amped (given their infamy in the power-hunger stakes), with a vintage TOTL HK930 dual transformer integrated receiver. So I am probably not falling into the trap of comparing the Miracles with a struggling pair of HE-6s. (As another point of reference, I confess to totally preferring the sonic signature of the HE-6 to that of the LCD2 - having previously much preferred the HD600 to the HD650.)

Well said. I feel like we are always talking about HE-this and LCD-that, but there are some top tier customs out there which can rival even the best full sized headphones, and in some ways surpass them. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #205 of 625
Quote:

There is a chance you dont like its sound signature.
I myself own a Miracle and kind of regret getting it because frankly im not really blown away by them.
I find them slightly dark, closed in and while it is not really recessed but i find its mids to be lacking because of the laidback nature.
They actually remind me of a closed headphone like Denon D2000 rather than an open headphone like the HD600. 
My impression is also i think because of my source which is just straight to IP4 headphone out. Also i have been mainly listening to speakers which might also makes me feel underwhelmed by an IEM.

I dont have them with me right now as they are back with UM for a refit due to an uncomfortable fit which is the main reason i go with them due to their local presence that makes it easier for me to deal with them.

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #206 of 625
Hi, I recently own the Denons d2000 and feel the same way about them too., vocals are behind the bass and treble (lows and highs encompasses the mids) which really annoys me, 
is the UM Miracle like the denons in any way?
to be honest i rather mids more forward where the mids encompass the bass and treble.
please help

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #207 of 625
Quote:
Hi, I recently own the Denons d2000 and feel the same way about them too., vocals are behind the bass and treble (lows and highs encompasses the mids) which really annoys me, 
is the UM Miracle like the denons in any way?
to be honest i rather mids more forward where the mids encompass the bass and treble.
please help

IMO, if i were to compare Miracle to a headphone, i would say it have a very similar sound signature to beyer dt880

sparkly, crisp highs....very tight punch on bass....mids very clear, but may sound lean and dry

so to me, it doesnt resemble denon in any way

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #208 of 625
The miracle vocal is not as recessed as the Denon but its definitely not forward as well.
If you are a vocal lover kind of person (like i am) then i dont think it will suit you as its laidback vocal will underwhelm you.
Try a demo unit first and see if you like it. i was hoping for the custom unit to make the vocal clearer due to the better enclosure but i found its full custom sound to be not that much better really.
I am also interested for ArrigoShred impression on his thread once he receives his Miracle to see how he likes it seeing that he likes his ES5 for its vocal criteria.

Its hard to know really if you will like it or not till you get one yourself :p

Good thing about UM custom is that i hope its resell perspective should be better than JH/Westone since UM offer a reshell service themselves which eliminates the dilemma of a reshelled custom iem not being the same thing as a full custom due to the reshelling done by someone else.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #209 of 625

Quote:
The miracle vocal is not as recessed as the Denon but its definitely not forward as well.
If you are a vocal lover kind of person (like i am) then i dont think it will suit you as its laidback vocal will underwhelm you.
Try a demo unit first and see if you like it. i was hoping for the custom unit to make the vocal clearer due to the better enclosure but i found its full custom sound to be not that much better really.
I am also interested for ArrigoShred impression on his thread once he receives his Miracle to see how he likes it seeing that he likes his ES5 for its vocal criteria.

Its hard to know really if you will like it or not till you get one yourself :p

Good thing about UM custom is that i hope its resell perspective should be better than JH/Westone since UM offer a reshell service themselves which eliminates the dilemma of a reshelled custom iem not being the same thing as a full custom due to the reshelling done by someone else.

Waiting for his impressions and review too.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #210 of 625

Thanks for you insight RockaRolla, its makes it much clear to somehow highlight the distinctiveness between the two when comparing to the beyers. I just thought they where somehow like the denon in the way thats sum1 mentioned they are a little recessed.

Well they probably aren't it's just that the since the UM Miracles are very transparent, the Midrange is smooth and flat. As many would classify laid back thank you sum1 for your honest opinions.

I am wow'ed by luscious mids not minding so much if they are slightly forward as such like on the Westone Es5s. However I believe the Miracles do excel more in terms of soundstage from what I've read.
I think partly due to the smashing highs and well extended lows, the midrange of the miracles seem  not as apparent per se.(from what i've read)
I shall be on the lookout for more reviews before taking the plunge. 
I know its true its hard to know if you will like it until you try, however a rough indicator that flat midrange is a put off since having a background of IEM's ands headphones that have lacked the midrange(bit behind the treble and bass).
For know I seek more about the ES5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back