Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Dec 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #31 of 625

This is our our universal demo units sit.  This one in particular is the Mage and was taken about 5 minutes ago.  As you can see the fit is quite good for a universal.  That said, we still strongly recommend going for a full custom and do not recommend purchasing a universal from us.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #32 of 625
Why would you not recommend a universal? Universal customs would hold a higher resale if someone didn't like the sound signature and the buyer wouldn't have to get them remolded.

Quote:
This is our our universal demo units sit.  This one in particular is the Mage and was taken about 5 minutes ago.  As you can see the fit is quite good for a universal.  That said, we still strongly recommend going for a full custom and do not recommend purchasing a universal from us.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #33 of 625
Based on our personal opinion and opinions of some of our clients, their customs sound significantly better than their universal demo's.  We speculate this may be due to tuning, bone conduction, isolation and fit however we cannot quantify this, these are merely the opinions of us and our clients, however you can tell just by looking at the picture that the isolation will not be as good as a custom and hence diminish sound quality.

Unique Melody is not in the industry to compete with the likes of Shure and UE with their universal solutions.  We primarily manufacture custom pieces and we are striving to be the best at that.  

One point to clarify, it is Unique Melody's policy to only sell a universal unit to those customers whom live in remote areas whereby access to an audiologist is impractical or whereby due to the shape of your ear it is not possible to take an ear impression/build a custom.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 625
I think I heavily agree with the Australian representative of Unique Melody. As I remember reading in that "universal - what a waste of money" (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523951/universals-what-a-waste-of-money/60#post_7078837) thread, it isn't as simple as grabbing a sound signature and putting it into an acryllic shell. Customs are far more customized than just the acryllic shell fitting into your ears perfectly for comfort. As we know, sound is unfortunately a delicate, fuzzy little thing.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #35 of 625
I finally got a hold of an audiologist in my country who seems to know her business and after exchanging words with Stephen (whose response has been top-notch) and decided to go for the custom option with the Miracle. If I'm enjoying DBA-02 a lot, I am confident will  love the Miracle.
thanks you all for your comments and specially project86 for getting my attention on the Miracle!!
Now to figure out which color to choose, so far the black translucent I like the most so far
regards, Jose

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #36 of 625
I know FR graphs arent the end all be all, but the dip in the lower mid range, followed by the rising response from 1k to 2.5k is worrying (too much in that range makes things sound nasal). Not to mention the huge spike around 7-8k. But again maybe they do indeed sound good.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 625

Quote:
I know FR graphs arent the end all be all, but the dip in the lower mid range, followed by the rising response from 1k to 2.5k is worrying (too much in that range makes things sound nasal). Not to mention the huge spike around 7-8k. But again maybe they do indeed sound good.

In the case of the Miracle, the FR chart is frankly almost worthless, except perhaps when looking at the very low end from 20Hz to 100Hz or so. The rest of it didn't match what I was hearing at all. Looking at my review of the UM Aero, it would appear that model actually has more bass than the Miracle, which was far from the case. Also, it looks like the Miracle would be far too aggressive with the spike you mentioned. Simply not the case from what I heard.

Sometimes FR charts are much more useful. I described the sound of my 1964-T customs in another thread, and then the company later released the chart which matched almost exatcly with what I was describing. But with the UM products that has never been the case. I don't know why. All measurements are taken with different equipment though, so you can't really compare measurements from Headroom, UM, and 1964 and expect a good result.

In any case, I understand your scepticism based on the chart, but in my experience it is unfounded.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #38 of 625
Hi guys:
As a mentioned earlier in this thread I all set on going all the way up to the Mirage, despite never tried a custom before.
Nevertheless, to put my mind at rest on this huge expenditure on IEMs (it never occurred to me to spend more than 300$ on IEM, less alone 830$!!) I would like yo know if any of you have had the the change to hear both Miracle and Fischer Audio DBA-02. the Latter being my current IEM and the one I like the most of the very few I have heard so far.
Would I get smoother mids and highs? more clarity than DBAs? how head-stage compare? Is the bass deeper and stronger on the Mirage?
Initially I was considering the likes 1964 ears and the Mage at significant much less money but realize that after expending that much money I would still get a nagging thought that something better is out there!! then again, if I keep coming to this forum, something better will always show up!!
thanks to all at this community for allowing me to enjoying music so much after discovering these many awesome IEMs
regards
Jose

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #39 of 625

Quote:
Hi guys:
As a mentioned earlier in this thread I all set on going all the way up to the Mirage, despite never tried a custom before.
Nevertheless, to put my mind at rest on this huge expenditure on IEMs (it never occurred to me to spend more than 300$ on IEM, less alone 830$!!) I would like yo know if any of you have had the the change to hear both Miracle and Fischer Audio DBA-02. the Latter being my current IEM and the one I like the most of the very few I have heard so far.
Would I get smoother mids and highs? more clarity than DBAs? how head-stage compare? Is the bass deeper and stronger on the Mirage?
Initially I was considering the likes 1964 ears and the Mage at significant much less money but realize that after expending that much money I would still get a nagging thought that something better is out there!! then again, if I keep coming to this forum, something better will always show up!!
thanks to all at this community for allowing me to enjoying music so much after discovering these many awesome IEMs
regards
Jose

Hi there,

although i have never heard the DBA-02, i had auditioned the miracle before and trust me the demo unit alone will blow u out of the water already...

forget about the mage, i rather u wait out for afew more months and get the funds and get the miracle instead
wifout hearing the miracle, the mage is awesome but once u heard the miracle, the mage seems to missing out alot especially on the lows

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #40 of 625
Awesome!!! I will do my best to gather the funds before Mirage's Xmas sales ends!! thanks for your comment!! Jose

Quote:
Hi there, although i have never heard the DBA-02, i had auditioned the miracle before and trust me the demo unit alone will blow u out of the water already...
forget about the mage, i rather u wait out for afew more months and get the funds and get the miracle instead
wifout hearing the miracle, the mage is awesome but once u heard the miracle, the mage seems to missing out alot especially on the lows

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #41 of 625

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys:
regards
Jose

Hi there,

although i have never heard the DBA-02, i had auditioned the miracle before and trust me the demo unit alone will blow u out of the water already...

Then do you feel that the ES5s are better?

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #42 of 625

Quote:
Then do you feel that the ES5s are better?

its gonna be an unfair comparison since the es5 is a full custom while miracle was a demo unit...
but anyway heres my humble impressions

ES5 is more neutral as compared to the miracle, none of the freq. stands out, while in contrast miracle's highs was the most prominent..
Miracle had a slightly bright and sparkly treble whereas es5 was more toned down, but both excel equally in extension

for mids, nth much to say both are equally excellent, overall very smooth and intimate

for bass, felt that the es5 seems to hit a little lower than the miracle and conveyed a more natural feel, realism to the bass as compared to the 2d-thud on the miracle
on some songs, esp. bass heavy songs, the es5 had a more 3d feel to it wif a fuller body whereas miracle came off as thud, like abit no power
however, both are still tight and punchy and presents great quality

soundstaging-wise, i felt the miracle was slightly wider and also because of the treble, they seemed more airy compared to my es5

but like i mentioned earlier, ones a full-custom another's a demo, so a full custom miracle will definitely have better quality than its demo version (what i think would be more bass quantity to counter-balance the highs)

all in all, both are flagships of their respective brands and u cant really go wrong wif either, they are just presented differently thats all

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #43 of 625
RockaRolla- thanks very much for your impressions! I'd love to be able to hear the ES5 someday. Your take on the Miracle is somewhat different than mine, which probably has to do with the variations in fit attributed to the use of standard tips. Even though we both may have achieved a decent fit, we obviously got a different result. The great thing about a true custom is that we can eliminate that variable.

I'm pretty set on buying the Miracle one of these days, but if I end up going another direction I'll be going straight to the ES5. Like you said I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #44 of 625
Thanks for the review, brilliant as usual.

This may be a little ridiculous price wise, but since its the only headphone I actually have on your list, how does the bass QUANTITY compare between the Miracle and the RX700 :)? I am trying to decide between a 1964Q, Miracle or the JH16 (yeah I know price wise its not quite fair) and the Miracle sure sounds good, I am just not sure if it will deliver enough bass for me (data point: I absolutely hate the RE0 bass).

To complicate matters further, I will be in Singapore starting January 5 and hence get the chance to visit Jaben but I fear the 830USD XMas Sale for the Miracle will have gone by then...

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #45 of 625

Quote:
Thanks for the review, brilliant as usual.

This may be a little ridiculous price wise, but since its the only headphone I actually have on your list, how does the bass QUANTITY compare between the Miracle and the RX700 :)? I am trying to decide between a 1964Q, Miracle or the JH16 (yeah I know price wise its not quite fair) and the Miracle sure sounds good, I am just not sure if it will deliver enough bass for me (data point: I absolutely hate the RE0 bass).

To complicate matters further, I will be in Singapore starting January 5 and hence get the chance to visit Jaben but I fear the 830USD XMas Sale for the Miracle will have gone by then...

hello,

your worries are unfounded, miracle will definitely have enough bass for you!
However if you are an extreme basshead, you should look at jh16 instead...sorry about the RX700/1964-Q though, have not demo-ed them before, so no comments

Btw, the official distributor for UM products in singapore is Stereo Electronics...they do provide demo units for marvel/aero/mage/miracle
For auditioning of JH customs, you will have to proceed to Jaben

hope you have a fun time here!
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back