[Review] UM Merlin, FS MG6Pro, AKG K3003
Jun 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #151 of 243
Just gonna chime in and say I got mine, and havn't had any issues with the sound. 

they did change after burn in (which i am now a believer of, at least with these), from messy/muddy/lossy to as good as described. still not perfectly as "clean" as BA's, but its the nature of the beast i've come to realize. still far more detailed and resolving than my universals. bass makes you just want to swim in it. 

fit im still unsure of, well, im sure of how it fits, but im not sure whether to send it back or just leave well enough alone. more to the point i suppose, im not sure if it's something they can fix easily or whether i'd need to get new impressions for (because id like not to lose seal while smiling, and now too, eating). 

i'll shoot an email off and see what FS thinks. anyhow, just thought id chuck my 2c out there. again, thanks for the time to review it shane, sucks it didnt work out well for ya. being completely honest i'd love to try the merlin now too. the cleanliness of the BA's with the deep , visceral and impactful bass of the dynamic low... *leaves head-fi

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #152 of 243
I ordered the merlin's and the mg6's a few weeks ago before the negative review. I don't have the merlin's yet but I got the mg6's yesterday-expecting to be really disappointed. Much to my surprise I really like them. The speed and customer service were truly outstanding (ready 2 weeks after sending impressions), as was the packaging (better than JHA). Soundwise, they're not as detailed as my JH 16 pros (JH 3A), nor do they have the bass impact. What they do have is an incredible soundstage- wide, deep and coherent, very much outside my head. I enjoy the timbre of the instruments. Vocals are quite forward, but not in a way that disturbs me. In fact I find it enjoyable-lyrics are easier to hear and I  imagine that it's true to the intentions of many recordings. I find that they don't mix with all sources. They sound great out of my DX 100 and Colorfly, but for some reason terrible out of my RX MK3. They are lighter and much more comfortable than the JH 16's and the open port, which I thought might be a negative creates a similar feeling to an open headphone and the isolation is still pretty good. Overall I find them non fatiguing and quite speaker-like. Once I've had them in for awhile and become accustomed to their sound signature, they don't draw attention to any particular detail or to themselves-and-last cliche-allow me to just listen to the music. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #153 of 243
Interesting, thanks for the impressions. Mine seem to sound the opposite of what you've described. I have recessed vocals, small soundtage and a fatiguing upper midrange peak. Can you explain a little more on bass impact compared to the JH16? I think there are many interested in that comparison.

I've exchanged PM's with a few owners and impressions seem to be divided. Some a lot like you've described and some similar to mine. I wonder what may be causes of the differing impressions? I'm glad you are enjoying them though and it's good to hear some getting results the opposite of mine.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #154 of 243
Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the impressions. Mine seem to sound the opposite of what you've described. I have recessed vocals, small soundtage and a fatiguing upper midrange peak. Can you explain a little more on bass impact compared to the JH16? I think there are many interested in that comparison.
I've exchanged PM's with a few owners and impressions seem to be divided. Some a lot like you've described and some similar to mine. I wonder what may be causes of the differing impressions? I'm glad you are enjoying them though and it's good to hear some getting results the opposite of mine.

I wonder if it something to do with fit and synergy? (as I said I really did not enjoy them with the RX MK 3 which in most other circumstances is my favorite portable Amp ever). I also think it's much better with some music (jazz, acoustic) than with say opera  As far as the bass goes my impressions were very different to how I've heard it described. For me the bass is present but not strong. I don't get the feeling of my eardrums being pressurized. It's a much more open feeling. I get more of a feeling of pressure from the JH 16's and I'm more aware of a "physical" impact. The JH 16 does have a bass hump by design and the JH 3 has the added bass boost (which I do use) so I suppose it's not that surprising.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #155 of 243
I had 1 refit and 2 complete rebuilds. Fit was very good in the end. No loss of seal with any movement. All 4 sources I use measure flat with most being less than 1 ohm output impedance and one being less than 2 ohm. FS did confirm they have a peak or boost in the FR between 2k and 4k. 2k peaks are ok for me but between 3k and 4k I am very sensitive to peaks. This seems to be the primary source if my issues. But I also found the boosted bass to be overwhelming without EQ.

Edit: it's almost as if we are describing air volume differences if we were talking of sub enclosures...

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #156 of 243
I had 1 refit and 2 complete rebuilds. Fit was very good in the end. No loss of seal with any movement. All 4 sources I use measure flat with most being less than 1 ohm output impedance and one being less than 2 ohm. FS did confirm they have a peak or boost in the FR between 2k and 4k. 2k peaks are ok for me but between 3k and 4k I am very sensitive to peaks. This seems to be the primary source if my issues. But I also found the boosted bass to be overwhelming without EQ.
Edit: it's almost as if we are describing air volume differences if we were talking of sub enclosures...

Since you hear such a different sound from so many MG6pro owners in terms of things like soundstage, could it be that you are getting a vacuum seal that prevents your eardrum from proplerly moving? Try listening with a shallow fit that doesn't quite feel sealed and see how the sound opens up.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #159 of 243
yeah that is completely weird, im not a basshead, but the bass in the mg6pro isn't overwhelming to me. its probably all just "right". previous earphones there clearly wasnt enough (roll off). on this, theres probably a little more than perfectly accurate but because the highs are so nice, and the mids are forward, i quite like how it all comes together.

i've not used the JH16 obviously but if thats the case, thats WAYYY to much bass for me. (although i'd love to try it after hearing that ;D).

pretty much mimicing irvins impressions exactly. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #160 of 243
I think the difference with the JH 16 bass also has to do with the fact that it's much tighter which might be creating some of my impression. Also the seal is tighter and I think needs to be tighter for the BA (something like the vacuum seal mentioned by Kunlun) in order to sound at their best. Subsequent to my first impressions I have listened to some bass heavy jazz and the mg6 does certainly produce a lot of bass when it's in the recording, although I do prefer the tightness of the JH 16. That may of course improve with burn in as some have reported. One more thing-with the JH 3A the bass hump can be defeated entirely and on the other end you can dial it up to ridiculous levels.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #162 of 243
Quote:
Hi shotgunshane,

Have you heard the AS2?

He's heard the generic version of the AS2, he's posted really positive impressions in the Aurisonics thread. In a nut shell, he thinks they are technically better than both the Merlin and the MG6Pro if I remember correctly 

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #163 of 243
I'm also interested in hearing more on how it compares to the merlin. This is about all I've found so far:

Quote:
Dale also owns the UM Merlin. It has a tough time keeping up with the AS2

Well I'm not sure about the having trouble keeping up part but the prototype I heard was more neutral and faster than the Merlin.  Not that it exactly sounded like this but if you imagine the CK10 combined the EX1000, you can get a general idea.  I thought it was very, very good and more fitting to my newly acquired neutral leaning tastes.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #164 of 243
That's right, I've heard the prototype of the AS-2. I only had about an hour or so with it a couple of months ago, so I can't really expand on the few comments I've made on it. Suffice to say I was impressed enough that I've ordered it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #165 of 243
very intersting thread, subscribed

this will probally help me make my choice

as an atrio owner i can only wish that there was a coustem iem that sounded similer hopping somthing with better mids, guss i just have to wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back