Review: Ultrasone HFI 580
Jun 20, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

prem

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

This is my first post in head-fi. I'm not new to head-fi though. The information here has helped me a lot to decide on the headphone and IEM that I purchased.

So back to the topic. I recently bought a pair of Ultrasone HFI 580s. Their slight emphasis on bass was the main reason that i went for them. I prefer it because it makes the headphones more fun sounding at lower volumes (I listen at considerably low volumes most of the time). This is exactly why I preferred the Shure SE115 over SE210. But SE115 lack accuracy, but this is something I can live with. :). Another important factor is the 580s are very efficient and easy to drive. I listen to my music mainly from my Macbook pro and Zune HD. 

The 580s are very comfortable. I didn't have any problems with the clamping effect of the headphones that many discuss here. The headphones have about 50+hrs burn-in. My first impression (before their burn-in) was that the bass was a little bit bloated and they sounded a bit harsh on some of the higher frequencies, that I even had to remove them for a moment. But after burning-in, they have really settled considerably. The bass is much more controlled. And the highs don't sound harsh at all.

So the bottom line; the Ultrasone 580s are a great choice for music, they are fun sounding. They also perform exceptionally with movies. 

Thank you all head-fiers for all the information. Now that I've got these, I hope to save my wallet for a while before my next upgrade. :wink:

Regards.

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 18
Ummm.... did you ask a question in there? I didn't get what it was about. Well, welcome to Head-fi! Hope you continue to grow and your wallet continues to shrink! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Ummm.... did you ask a question in there? I didn't get what it was about. Well, welcome to Head-fi! Hope you continue to grow and your wallet continues to shrink! 
beerchug.gif

I just wanted to leave my impressions here PhoneLover

Quote:
oh, we'll get to you somehow....  mwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Well, I know this day will come. I will be all ready to drop some more money on headphones once I'm outta school. Till then, I'm relying on Ultrasones. :)

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 18
I totally agree they have such a FUN sound to them, tried them at a store today, I instantly wanted them*sadly they were out of stock* they had such a different sound then the higher end models, the sounded better IMO.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Yea they sound great for wrap/hip=hop and run just fine out of an Ipod.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Its hard to answer whether or not a headphone is "worth it" over another one, especially because that opinion changes from person to person.  Personally, I would say yes, as the 580s have more bass and a better soundstage, and they're both close in price on Amazon.  If you can have the M50 for 100 bucks and the 580s (at 180 right now) are past your budget, then it might not be worth it.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Its hard to answer whether or not a headphone is "worth it" over another one, especially because that opinion changes from person to person.  Personally, I would say yes, as the 580s have more bass and a better soundstage, and they're both close in price on Amazon.  If you can have the M50 for 100 bucks and the 580s (at 180 right now) are past your budget, then it might not be worth it.

http://www.djdeals.com/ultrasoneHFI580.htm

139 w/ free shipping C:

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 18
I was actually debating on getting these, i currently have the m50's and there just isnt enough bump to them.. Granted they arent amp (which wouldnt make a diff to the m50's anyway) but i listen to a lot of deadmau5 and girltalk... and hiphop.. so i like a lot of bass, but not where its drowning everything else. I use my headphones about 35 hours out of my 40 hours work week...  i heard good things about the Ultrasone PRO 750...  i was also looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro (i would need an amp at some point for those tho, which i dont mind but it will come with time)

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Do these leak sound? I'd like to use these in quiet places e.g library.

No they don't unless you like to listen at ear blowing levels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back