REVIEW: The Sennheiser HD 215 (the HD 205's bigger brother)
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #166 of 195
Lol, why would I be annoyed? :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #167 of 195
Quote:

Cuz I wanted to see your impressions on them......
Wasn't a statement but was more of a question
biggrin.gif
HD215 vs HD419 vs HD429 vs HD439 vs HD449 vs HD280????
which to get?
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #168 of 195
Quote:
Quote:

Cuz I wanted to see your impressions on them......
Wasn't a statement but was more of a question
biggrin.gif
HD215 vs HD419 vs HD429 vs HD439 vs HD449 vs HD280????
which to get?
wink_face.gif

Haha, not annoyed at all.  But I will be of limited usefulness as I haven't owned any of those other ones.  The closest I've come is with the HD 428 and HD 448.  However, I wasn't thrilled with any of those. 
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #170 of 195
Using the HD215 for more than 1 year now – with light use. The headphone may/should have been burned-in somehow. What I can say that amplification benefits me: FiiO E11 paired well with it. While Low Gain mode always result in satisfying sound, High Gain mode can add some sparkle (Voltage setting under the amp’s battery always set to High).

Compared to new Beyerdynamic DT150 which I bought few months ago, HD215 sounds ‘lighter’, ‘floating’ and spacious, maybe due to the tight bass. DT150 meanwhile sounds ‘on-the-ground’ and ‘solid’, due to bass quantity. Owning two different characteristic headphones is a unique experience.

@warren: I got the DT150 instead of AKG K240 Studio which you recommend sometime ago, hehe. Still, I’m looking forward to add an AKG in my collection. I’m very interested to hear a different house sound. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #171 of 195
Finally got a pair of cans......
and I got a........
sennheiser hd518......
I love it the only problem I have with it is the 6.3mm jack and low isolation....
but I didn't expect much of it in terms if isolation as it's open back.....
full review is about to come soon after it's had some time to burn in......

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #172 of 195
Sorry for the laggy response guys, been swamped IRL.

Quote:
Thanks
I think ill get the hd439 and if not that I'll get the hd449

Welcome of course, even though I was of no help whatsoever. 
smile.gif
  For the record, I've read better things about the HD 439.  So if I had to pick one of those two blindly, the HD 439 would be it.

Quote:
Using the HD215 for more than 1 year now – with light use. The headphone may/should have been burned-in somehow. What I can say that amplification benefits me: FiiO E11 paired well with it. While Low Gain mode always result in satisfying sound, High Gain mode can add some sparkle (Voltage setting under the amp’s battery always set to High).

TBH, I've only listened to the HD 215 sporadically over the course of the past 6 months or so.  But I'm getting to the point where my long-term take on it is that it's a very good pair of headphones given it's price and classification.  Detail and separation are good across the entire range, with just a slight bit of congestion (comparatively speaking) in the mids.  I just wish that it had a tad more warmth and depth down in the lows.  Not a lot more, but a little bit would help.

I think that - with some modifications to the pads - it might be possible to do bring out some more pass simply and easily.  I'll see if I can fiddle around with it this coming weekend to see what can be done in that area.  Still not wild about the sibilance, but with any luck I'll be able to kill two birds with one stone by messing with the pads.

Quote:
Compared to new Beyerdynamic DT150 which I bought few months ago, HD215 sounds ‘lighter’, ‘floating’ and spacious, maybe due to the tight bass. DT150 meanwhile sounds ‘on-the-ground’ and ‘solid’, due to bass quantity. Owning two different characteristic headphones is a unique experience.

Wow, the DT150 look so old school!  Inadvertent anti-theft feature perhaps? 
biggrin.gif

How do you like them overall?  Put it this way, when you're reaching for cans, which one of the two do you find yourself reaching for more often?  Or do you find yourself switching between the two depending on genres?

Quote:
@warren: I got the DT150 instead of AKG K240 Studio which you recommend sometime ago, hehe. Still, I’m looking forward to add an AKG in my collection. I’m very interested to hear a different house sound.

Cool, no rush on that one.  I don't think the K240 Studio is going away anytime soon.  Plus it's semi-open, and if your current needs require closed cans, no sense getting it right now.  Just keep in mind what I said about the pricing.  It fluctuates wildly (and often).  So to ensure that you get the best price, I'd wait until it drops below $70.  $65 would be a good price if you can get it.

Quote:
Finally got a pair of cans... and I got a... sennheiser hd518... I love it the only problem I have with it is the 6.3mm jack and low isolation... but I didn't expect much of it in terms if isolation as it's open back... full review is about to come soon after it's had some time to burn in...

Whoa!  Even better! 
biggrin.gif
  It's been confirmed that the HD 558 and HD 598 share the same drivers.  Do you happen to know if that's true of the HD 518 as well?

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #173 of 195
Yes same driver....
Different setup....
Hd518 is the most bass heavy. ...
Hd598 is the mist mid and treble heavy. .....
And the hd558 are in between. .....
I can be called some what of a bass head.......
So I went with the hd518 and I got it at a hundred and ten dollars! !!!!!!

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #174 of 195
Quote:
Yes same driver....
Different setup....

Do you have it yet? How do you like the sound? 
(but the HD518 earpad surface material is not nearly as nice as the HD558 and 598 earpad which are the same material just the HD598 is softer, you can buy replacements for about 30-40$ maybe...?)

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #175 of 195
Quote:
Do you have it yet? How do you like the sound? 
(but the HD518 earpad surface material is not nearly as nice as the HD558 and 598 earpad which are the same material just the HD598 is softer, you can buy replacements for about 30-40$ maybe...?)

I've had them for about a week now and have burned them in for about 10 hours.......
I love the sound....
listening to hotel california from hell freezes over you really get to appreciate the headphones.....
in the intro riff when they go into the fast bit you can really hear the fingers hitting the fret board which I can't hear when I am playing it on my other hp's and iem's(Sony XBA-3, Sony XB41EX, XB30EX, Philips SBC3375, Sony ZX100).....
I used to think the XBA-3's were just right for me but the HD 518's really proved me wrong......
Keep in mind all these observations are while using an amp not directly from my source's......
When played directly through the my daps' Samsung Galaxy S3, Apple iPhone 4S, Sony Xperia X10, Sony Xperia X1, Sony Xperia Z and a few laptops and a desktop the volume is never high enough and the lows and highs are also not near what is it when played with an amp......
From all the amps I own the amp that I find best suited is the Creative Sound Blaster Digital Music SX....
Amps I have used with these are Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 USB, Kenwood KR-V999D and a Sony DAV-DZ870KW........
But as I am writing this review I am listening to Klaypex with the hd518's and I will say they make dubstep sound really "fun"........
hope I was helpful......
Sorry for the poor selection of products I'm new in the audiophile world but I am getting there......
My most preferred setup right now is Samsung Galaxy S3=> Custom made Pure Silver wire=> Creative Sound Blaster Digital Music MX=> Sennheiser HD518.....
But my portable setup still remains as Samsung Galaxy S3=> Sony XBA-3, but will change as soon as I get my JDS Labs C5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #176 of 195
Review Update!  Guess what guys (and gals)?  Remember when I said:

Quote:
However, Sennheiser did forget about one little detail here (actually two little details). Both the HD 215 and the HD 205 have a center detent that locks the right ear cup into its original position. In addition to that center detent, the HD 205 also has two more detents - one fully forward, and one fully aft. The HD 215 does not have those two additional detents. You can imagine the problem here.

Because it does not lock into place, the right ear cup has the potential to swing back towards center on its own. This isn't so much a problem when the cans are new because the swing-away joint itself is somewhat stiff. But over time - and with repeated usage - all joints loosen. And someday in the future, it may just be a problem.

The right ear cup is now looser than a $2 audiophile. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Yes same driver....
Different setup....

Any plans to mod it and get it closer to an HD 558 or HD 598?

Quote:
But my portable setup still remains as Samsung Galaxy S3=> Sony XBA-3, but will change as soon as I get my JDS Labs C5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, and just out of curiosity, why a C5?  I'm not saying it's bad, because I haven't heard it at all.  But I have an O2 - and while it measures nice - I think I would have liked something a bit more musical (less sterile) had I known then what I know now.

May 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #178 of 195
The E17 will come in handy if you want a USB DAC along with it.  Ever heard of the iBasso D-Zero?  Also a USB DAC/Amp combo unit, and very affordable.

May 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #180 of 195
Quote:
i did hear of it.....
don't know if i want it.......
i am seriously confused....

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your sanity. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back