REVIEW: The Frogbeats C4...an explosively good custom in ear monitor....SERIOUSLY!
Oct 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #106 of 253
My wording was bad. I asked LFF about the C4 vs Paradox, and asked David some questions about the C4 vs C5 at the top of this page. Its been nothing but crickets since. Maybe PM would be more effective but I think asking questions on an open forum is more beneficial for the public in general. Usually there are more people wondering the exact same things.

I'm not sure its a matter of "they can't be bothered to answer". As Flysweep said, LFF is an MOT now and has restrictions on what he can and can't say about his products (though I don't know what exactly those restrictions are).

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #107 of 253
Should have the C4 sometime next week, very excited now
rolleyes.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #110 of 253
Quote:
My wording was bad. I asked LFF about the C4 vs Paradox, and asked David some questions about the C4 vs C5 at the top of this page. Its been nothing but crickets since. Maybe PM would be more effective but I think asking questions on an open forum is more beneficial for the public in general. Usually there are more people wondering the exact same things.

Completely agree!

Questhate gave a good explanation.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #111 of 253
Quote:
Completely agree!

Questhate gave a good explanation.

Fair enough, we can forget about the Paradox in this thread.

Focusing on the C4 that you reviewed though, how do you know it is neutral?  Obviously that word gets misused a lot, and so it's always instructive to ask somebody what their reference is. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #114 of 253
Quote:

Fair enough, we can forget about the Paradox in this thread.

Focusing on the C4 that you reviewed though, how do you know it is neutral?  Obviously that word gets misused a lot, and so it's always instructive to ask somebody what their reference is. 

I use two things to check for neutrality...tone sweeps and a binaural recording I made.

I don't think I need to explain tone sweeps.

I use the binaural recording because it hits every single area that's important...including the accuracy of the 3D soundstage and I was there live so I know what it should sound like.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #115 of 253
Why do you use two midrange and treble drivers? Is it done for higher SPL capabilities?

You say C5 bass goes lower than C4, but LFF states C4 doesn't roll off until 10hz. Is he exaggerating? Why would you need to go any lower? I wonder how he can even tell its rolling off that low if those frequencies aren't audible? Hearing harmonics maybe? I'm a little confused, as any careful reader should be.

You said the C5 is a little V shaped in sound signature. Can you tell us a little more about this? How drastic is it, and why was it done if flat is supposedly the "smartest" way to tune according to others in this thread?

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #116 of 253
Quote:
Why do you use two midrange and treble drivers? Is it done for higher SPL capabilities?
You say C5 bass goes lower than C4, but LFF states C4 doesn't roll off until 10hz. Is he exaggerating? Why would you need to go any lower? I wonder how he can even tell its rolling off that low if those frequencies aren't audible? Hearing harmonics maybe? I'm a little confused, as any careful reader should be.
You said the C5 is a little V shaped in sound signature. Can you tell us a little more about this? How drastic is it, and why was it done if flat is supposedly the "smartest" way to tune according to others in this thread?

It goes both lower and higher. You'll have to ask LFF about that, I'm sure he'll explain. I can't really answer the question "Is he exaggerating".

I have explained the V-shaped signature in several posts before this. It's not drastic at all, the signature remains relatively flat but does, as any V-shape does, have an accentuated treble and bass. Usually defined as a "fun" sound signature. We wanted to add variation to our line up and offer different sound signature options with the earphones, rather than them all being the same but with one additional driver. It's not so much the improvement over the C4 that make the C5 different, but rather the sound signature you pick. I have the C5s and I find them pretty flat but still have a bit of "oomph" that I find very enjoyable. However my experience with the C4 is somewhat limited right now as I only listened to our initial dummy versions to establish what signature we wanted on them.

Naturally, the "smartest" way is a matter of opinion, and I thought that having an option for people is nicer choice rather than sticking to one signature. People can choose what they want and we're getting interest for both .

Trust me, it isn't easy to describe these sort of things without having a review as a backup to my claims. Main reason as to why we're trying to get a C5 review up as soon as possible. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #117 of 253
Still very tempted but it is is quite a leap of faith. I just purchased the Heir 4A.i, which is the mots impressive iem I heard, but sadly the treble was slightly overdone for my taste (despite being described as neutral) and the soundstage was very flat. 
frown.gif
 Being a new company, resell value is likely to be quite low.
@ZimmerX, Are they any universals you heard that you would be able to quickly compare to the C5? Since owning the PFE232, I realised how much I value imaging/positoning and soundstage depth, How is the C5 in that regard?

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #118 of 253
until a review of the c5's up its hard to say, maybe the westone ES5 reviews would be a good starting point at this time. ive pulled the pin on my wallet for the c5's judging by the review of the c4 i seriously think they know what their doing. The triple.fi's are well known for their V shaped sound signature i had pair kicking around for a few years and are one of my personal favourites its just a shame that the 'fit' is somewhat lacking.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #119 of 253
Quote:
until a review of the c5's up its hard to say, maybe the westone ES5 reviews would be a good starting point at this time. ive pulled the pin on my wallet for the c5's judging by the review of the c4 i seriously think they know what their doing. The triple.fi's are well known for their V shaped sound signature i had pair kicking around for a few years and are one of my personal favourites its just a shame that the 'fit' is somewhat lacking.

You better convince yourself that's the case now that you paid for it 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back