REVIEW | TDK BA200 | 'BACK TO BLACK'
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #32 of 174

Quote:
Expansys is legit.

Quote:
these payment methods are a little risky, but I dunno, if you guys think it's worth it, it doesn't hurt to try. Perhaps you can see if these vendors are trusted in HK first, before pulling the trigger?

Also, if you're really intent on getting your hands on some, I can ask the owner of the store I bought it from to see if he's willing to take PayPal as a payment and ship internationally. The owner is pretty well versed in English, as he went to college (or grad school, not sure) in the states, so he should be comfortable with communicating with you guys. PM me if you're truly interested, and I'll try to make an introduction.

Just found one more site http://www.headphone.com.hk/ - They accept paypal and their shipping charges is high for me 540 HKD's while the cost of the earphone itself is 1180 HKD :D

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #34 of 174

Quote:
kloan, you might want to email or call their Canada site and see if they can just order them for you.

info@expansys.ca - 1.647.724.3335

They'll be way too expensive. They have a tendency to jack their prices up for Canadians.. I'd expect it to be well over $200 from them.

I don't want to pay more than $150 or so.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #35 of 174

Quote:
Hard to imagine any fit problems; the housings are very small and more ergonomic than even Westone housings; however, yes, as I've mentioned before, the small bi-flange tips are pretty uncomfortable. There's a tradeoff between the most neutral, high resolution sound, and comfort. Comply foams with feel much better.

I'm with the Comply tips with the wax guard for a few days now, and you're right, everything about them is a lot better.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #36 of 174
Quote:
 I'm with the Comply tips with the wax guard for a few days now, and you're right, everything about them is a lot better.

The Tx-100 and Ts-100 are both excellent tips for the BA200; I just don't like having to change tips every month. I'm also a detail freak, so I require the extra detail the biflanges deliver. But yes, the BA200 sounds sublimely smooth with the Comply foams.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #37 of 174
I was lurking here and came across this thread. When i did a search on the BA200 I found this very interesting review comparing it with the less expensive models. It seems the lower end BA100 was preferred. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/20/review-tdk-life-record-eb950-ba100-and-ba200-earphones

Have you compared it the BA200 with BA100? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #38 of 174
Quote:
I was lurking here and came across this thread. When i did a search on the BA200 I found this very interesting review comparing it with the less expensive models. It seems the lower end BA100 was preferred. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/20/review-tdk-life-record-eb950-ba100-and-ba200-earphones

Have you compared it the BA200 with BA100? 
smily_headphones1.gif

ClieOS has both, and he happens to think that the BA200 is basically a giant killer. If you ask me, while I only listened to the BA100 once, for about 10 seconds, I say that these reviewers don't know how to review in-ears. They're probably so used to big boomy, uncontrolled bass, that they don't know how to assess tight, true and fast bass. The BA200 has one of the nicest bass responses (bassheads need not apply) I've ever heard in any BA earphone, so I think these reviewers are full of you-know-what.

That's probably the most fanboy-ish statement I've made in a while, but I've listened to (extensively) just about all the high-end in-ears out there, and I can guarantee you that the BA200 is top notch, especially amongst the dual balanced armature IEMs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #39 of 174
The measurements show them being very close. I know we all mostly have different perceptions of what we like best. I have only listened to a couple of balanced arm IEM's and thought they sounded fake and resonant compared to single driver dynamics.

Quote:
ClieOS has both, and he happens to think that the BA200 is basically a giant killer. If you ask me, while I only listened to the BA100 once, for about 10 seconds, I say that these reviewers don't know how to review in-ears. They're probably so used to big boomy, uncontrolled bass, that they don't know how to assess tight, true and fast bass. The BA200 has one of the nicest bass responses (bassheads need not apply) I've ever heard in any BA earphone, so I think these reviewers are full of you-know-what.

That's probably the most fanboy-ish statement I've made in a while, but I've listened to (extensively) just about all the high-end in-ears out there, and I can guarantee you that the BA200 is top notch, especially amongst the dual balanced armature IEMs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #40 of 174
Quote:
The measurements show them being very close. I know we all mostly have different perceptions of what we like best. I have only listened to a couple of balanced arm IEM's and thought they sounded fake and resonant compared to single driver dynamics.

That probably means you just prefer the voicing of dynamic drivers; nothing wrong with that ---- I like the merits of both voice coils and BAs. As for the BA100 vs the BA200, it's not that the BA100 sounds bad. I certainly didn't think so, but if you look again at the FR chart, you'll see that the BA200 is smoother and flatter across the board; that's what I happen to like, and that's what the BA200 excels at --- being a smooth and unoffensive, but still well extended and clear, monitor-like IEM. I certainly didn't say they were for everyone, but for those reviewers to say that "It lacks everything," shows a lack of sophistication on their part in terms of being able to voice what exactly they didn't like about it. Certainly, if the BA100 and BA200 measure so similarly, why do they like the BA100 so much more? I think it speaks a lot to how they hear things, which I can surmise is far from being neutral.

Looking at your list, I too enjoy the Atrio MG7 and CKM99 for what they are; the BA200 is a different kind of beast from both those earphones. It is for people looking for a mostly neutral response, but with a tiny dose of fun, and that's exactly what I tried to express in my review. I can imagine those reviewers absolutely hating the UM3x and perhaps even the W4. Well, perhaps only if they covered up the Westone logo.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #41 of 174
ClieOS has both, and he happens to think that the BA200 is basically a giant killer.

I kind of reach a opposite conclusion from that review - I like BA200 and EB950 more and BA100 less. Not to say BA100 is bad - it is actually one of the nicest sounding Knowles Siren based IEM I ever heard. The problem, it still sounds like a Knowles Siren and there already are a few other brands that offer Siren based IEM with much cheaper price.

Immediately I saw some problems with their measurement setup, noticeably the choice of Musical Fidelity V-Can (with its 5 ohm output impedance) as headphone amp. Adding insult to injury is the additional FR measured under 75 ohm output impedance. If they don't know that they should have used headphone amp with less than 1 ohm output impedance to measure low impedance headphone in order to minimize coloration from the amp, then they shouldn't have made those measurement at all, nor discussing the result on the matter.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #42 of 174
Quote:
Immediately I saw some problems with their measurement setup, noticeably the choice of Musical Fidelity V-Can (with its 5 ohm output impedance) as headphone amp. Adding insult to injury is the additional FR measured under 75 ohm output impedance. If they don't know that they should have used headphone amp with less than 1 ohm output impedance to measure low impedance headphone in order to minimize coloration from the amp, then they shouldn't have made those measurement at all, nor discussing the result on the matter.

I found it weird why they wanted to 'simulate the effects of a low-quality headphone amp'... why would anyone want to do that? If they wanted to measure the response of them coming out of a common DAP like an iPod, I get it, but their setup just sounded completely counter-intuitive.

They also didn't realize that the reason why their impedance curves were so flat with the BA100 and 200 was that both have that impedance compensating circuit inside their Y-splits.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #43 of 174

Quote:
I found it weird why they wanted to 'simulate the effects of a low-quality headphone amp'... why would anyone want to do that? If they wanted to measure the response of them coming out of a common DAP like an iPod, I get it, but their setup just sounded completely counter-intuitive.

They also didn't realize that the reason why their impedance curves were so flat with the BA100 and 200 was that both have that impedance compensating circuit inside their Y-splits.

My BA200 sound better out of my 8 ohm impedance tube amp, way better, that they do out of my 1 ohm impedance 2Stepdance!  But there is more to my gears, look at my sig!

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #44 of 174
Quote:
My BA200 sound better out of my 8 ohm impedance tube amp, way better, that they do out of my 1 ohm impedance 2Stepdance!  But there is more to my gears, look at my sig!

How does it sound? The 5 ohm output impedance might be okay for the BA200 with the impedance adapter circuit, but I tried 32 ohm output impedance on my (former) amp, and it sounded a little more congested.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #45 of 174

Quote:
How does it sound? The 5 ohm output impedance might be okay for the BA200 with the impedance adapter circuit, but I tried 32 ohm output impedance on my (former) amp, and it sounded a little more congested.

Sent my impressions of the BA200 to you yesterday via PM, if you recall!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back