[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Jun 1, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #661 of 911

Why would people put a bass-killing material in a subwoofer?

Anyway, I got an EVO.  Wasn't overly impressed.  I mean, for the price, ok, kind of impressed.  Took out the big felt.  Then put on the velours.  Better.  Kind of boomy and bloaty for velours though.  Did some pad rolling, put on some airier velours... now we're onto something.  The lower end is probably down about 5db from the stock velours, but the sound is more open.  I think EVO is just a pad (and maybe foam) change away from being really great.  I wonder if poking some holes into the underside pleather of the stock velours would help make them airier.  

The EVO has plenty of detail, it's just hiding behind the bass.

And now I want to try more Superluxes.  ...Even if I expect the 668b to be grainy and boring and have recessed mids and peaky highs.  
biggrin.gif

I've had an interest in the 681 and 681b for a while, but it's hard to figure out the size of their soundstage since some people say it's bigger than EVO and some say smaller than EVO. 

Tyll's review of the 681 and 668b confuses me. "The HD 688B has a warm tilt to it and to my ears was a significant improvement over the HD 681, which thinner sounding in comparison." Isn't the 668b the cold and thinner sounding of the two?  

Because the EVO has too much bass so you can stuff cotton into the cup to make it less boomby.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #664 of 911
after 300+ hour I settled down with no disc foam and velour. no more sibilance.

I can't put it down, it sounded soo demm good, holographic with most well recorded album! all from my iPhone 5 and spotify 320kps.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #665 of 911
  after 300+ hour I settled down with no disc foam and velour. no more sibilance.

I can't put it down, it sounded soo demm good, holographic with most well recorded album! all from my iPhone 5 and spotify 320kps.

I'm rocking that setup too - still can't believe the performance of them at this price point 
dt880smile.png

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #666 of 911
Anyone still listening to their EVO's out there? 

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #667 of 911
Yep, I still use mine every day.  The sound in the right side sometimes cuts out. But if I readjust, the sound comes back. A little annoying but they've been great otherwise.  

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #668 of 911
I still have mine and they are still so fun to listen to. I don't us them as much but they are a great option to have in the stable. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #669 of 911
  Yep, I still use mine every day.  The sound in the right side sometimes cuts out. But if I readjust, the sound comes back. A little annoying but they've been great otherwise.  

I see you have a LD MKIII, I can't use mine with the EVO's how about you?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #670 of 911
I use my 681 Evo's during the day hooked up directly to my computer.  But I have tried them hooked up to my LD MK3 at home.  When I did so, I thought I perceived a slight improvement in sound but I wasn't absolutely sure.  I typically use my LD MK3 with my Sennheiser HD580's.  So when I'm around that setup, I usually don't have any desire to plug in any different phones.  I'll have to try the 681's with the LD again sometime to see how it goes. 

When you say you can't use your LD Mk3 with the Evo's, are you saying the gain is too much?  Or you just have the two in different locations and that you just don't get the use the two together?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #671 of 911
I pick up a hum (possibly from the gain setting) on my EVO's and my HD668B Superlux headphones. I believe the gain is set at 5 on the LD which works great for my DT880 (600 Ohm) but not so good with the Superlux's. I could probably lower the gain and get them to play nice but haven't tried it yet.
I also have a pair of HD600's that sound glorious with the LD but it mostly powers the Beyers. I have a Keces amp that works fantastic with the HD600. 
I've heard the EVO's are a poor man's HD650...never owned the 650 so couldn't say. Have you done any mods to your EVO's?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #672 of 911
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I have a very early LD Mk3.  I ordered mine right after they were released. Even with the Senn 580's I've found that certain types of tubes cause some hum. In my case, the short Voskhod tubes cause hum. I've tried 3 different sets of those tubes with the same result.  No other tubes that I've tried do that.  I'm not sure if the later version has this issue or not. Also, I'll have to double check what the gain is set on my LD.  

My Evo's just have the inner foam removed. This made a nice difference of opening up the sound. Also I unhooked the rubber band that controls the clamping force.  This made the Evo's very comfortable to wear for hours. I've been pleased with their sound so I haven't done any other mods to mine yet. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #674 of 911
  Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I have a very early LD Mk3.  I ordered mine right after they were released. Even with the Senn 580's I've found that certain types of tubes cause some hum. In my case, the short Voskhod tubes cause hum. I've tried 3 different sets of those tubes with the same result.  No other tubes that I've tried do that.  I'm not sure if the later version has this issue or not. Also, I'll have to double check what the gain is set on my LD.  

My Evo's just have the inner foam removed. This made a nice difference of opening up the sound. Also I unhooked the rubber band that controls the clamping force.  This made the Evo's very comfortable to wear for hours. I've been pleased with their sound so I haven't done any other mods to mine yet. 

See now I switch to the Voshkod's when listening to the HD600, I find it opens them up a bit on the highs and makes them a little more dynamic sounding. I get absolutely no hum from my Beyers or Senns with the LD and if I lowered the gain I think I could suppress the hum with the Superlux also. I have a Capella that has a gain knob and turn it down to listen to the Superlux headphones. 
They are awesome for the price I used to think the HD668 was my favorite but I find myself reaching for the EVO out of the two. I also did the foam mod and it was a nice improvement I removed the thick black pad and replaced it with a very thin cotton pad I stole from my wife. Everything improved and bass is still authoritative. If I could I'd back off the bass just a touch with the EVO's but I hate putting an EQ in the chain. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #675 of 911
  Every single day for multiple hours. They are my only cans and I love them to death. If you dont listen to yours,the list in your sig justifies that XD.

They are a fantastic can for the price! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back