[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Feb 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #556 of 911
  They will most definitely hold up. They're made mostly out of plastic but it's a deceivingly strong plastic.
I never felt like mine would break or snap at any point. 

I dropped mine 3-4 times and they hit ground pretty hard. Nothing happend tho,they still work like the 1st day.It happend because cable stuck on chair wheel as always,and here you see how much removable cable saved me,if it was straight up connected without removable cable ,they would've probably died the 1st time I ripped cable.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #558 of 911
They're made mostly out of plastic but it's a deceivingly strong plastic.

Typical remark for Americans who call all polymers 'plastic'. Not every plastic is recycled plastic bag LDPE. The Superlux are probably made out of a high quality polymer like ABS. Nothing wrong with that. Expensive headphones usually use metal, wood and leather on the outside to justify the high price. To make it 'exude' quality. But the real quality of a headphone is in the drivers, in comfort and ergonomics and durability. Often composites and 'plastics' are perfectly suited for their task and sometimes even better than metals. You wouldn't buy an aluminum surfboard would you?

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #561 of 911
I thought about this some more and one I think is worth considering for you is the Soundmagic HP200 at about $200. It's open, has strong bass and a great soundstage. Lots of detail. "Lively," people say of it. One more worth thinking about is the hd558, which has solid bass and a warm sound signature in another open can. Can get used for 90 bucks, I think. Just random thoughts for you to consider. Good luck!

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #563 of 911
  Is this worth 70 bucks? Am from australia and it's a bit more costy online.. or should I get theSuperlux HD681 for only 40?

I don't know about the normal hd681 except that it uses the same drivers I think.
Honestly I'd just go for the normal one. The evo have a very consumer friendly yet accurate sound signature to them but you can mod the normal ones to get the same, or an even better effect. Stock they still sound pretty good according to others, just beware if you don't like enhanced highs.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #564 of 911
Honestly, I'd say it is worth $70 to get the Evo. It is a very fun can to listen to and you don't have to do a lot of extensive modding to get really good sound out of it (as many people do with the 681B). I have much more expensive cans than the Evo and I still really enjoy listening to them. For what it's worth, Another thing for you to possibly check out is the Takstar HI2050. It might be a bit better priced than the Evo in NSW or wherever you are. Not certain about that, but it could be the case. You should check it out, just in case. Good luck, mate!

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #565 of 911
Ok so I bought the 681 Evos last week.  I wanted a upgrade from my headset for gaming and some music listening.   And they are that.   Overall im happy with them.   I realize now that I dont like auto headbands.  A constant pushing force against the top of the head isnt pleasant to me.   Luckily, with some tiny zip ties I was able to remedy this problem.  Ive thought about returning these for the 668b's.  But im not sure if that would matter much for my purposes.  Ive heard the 668b called more boring.  And I doubt the soundstage is much different for gaming so......

What pads fit these under $20?   The stock velour ones are decent.   But my ears touch the driver.   Any with more depth to them that are velour/velvet?   AKG240 pads seems to be about the same thickness in pictures.   The thickness of the Brainwavz HM5 pads looks exactly like what im looking for, but they dont fit these. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #566 of 911
  Ok so I bought the 681 Evos last week.  I wanted a upgrade from my headset for gaming and some music listening.   And they are that.   Overall im happy with them.   I realize now that I dont like auto headbands.  A constant pushing force against the top of the head isnt pleasant to me.   Luckily, with some tiny zip ties I was able to remedy this problem.  Ive thought about returning these for the 668b's.  But im not sure if that would matter much for my purposes.  Ive heard the 668b called more boring.  And I doubt the soundstage is much different for gaming so......

What pads fit these under $20?   The stock velour ones are decent.   But my ears touch the driver.   Any with more depth to them that are velour/velvet?   AKG240 pads seems to be about the same thickness in pictures.   The thickness of the Brainwavz HM5 pads looks exactly like what im looking for, but they dont fit these. 

yes evo doesn't had self adjusting headband, mine often cranked and  make me annoyed, then yes those stock velvet pad doesn't give a good sq 

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #567 of 911
My Evo's have developed an intermittent issue.  The sound on the right side goes out sometimes.  But if I twist them a little, the sound comes back.  I think I may open them up and redo the wiring over the weekend.  Has anyone else done this?  Was it fairly straightforward?  Do you have pics?  

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #568 of 911
That's what I thought about the EVOs, the re-attachable cable was a plus for me and the design was pretty sick for headphones, the original ones look like more of an 80's space-age (steampunk) kind of theme not that you wouldn't like it but the EVO comes with velvet pads and ideally you don't really have to mod it straight out of the box as it pretty much got everything you need for the time being. Can't wait for these cans to arrive. Thanks all for the suggests & opinions. Appreciate.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #569 of 911
  That's what I thought about the EVOs, the re-attachable cable was a plus for me and the design was pretty sick for headphones, the original ones look like more of an 80's space-age kind of theme not that you wouldn't like it but the EVO comes with velvet pads and ideally you don't really have to mod it straight out of the box as it pretty much got everything you need for the time being. Can't wait for these cans to arrive. Thanks all for the suggests & opinions. Appreciate.

Not sure if someones already told you but I believe the foam mod is a must with these. Very easy to do, when you change the pleather pads out for the velour's there is a thick felt disc at the center of the driver screen. It's glued on but mine came off easily. I replaced it with a thin cotton makeup removing pad I stole from my wife. Gone was the thick woolly bass and muffled highs replaced by nice low end and much cleaner treble. I also let mine simmer on low for over 50 hours before doing any listening.
I really enjoy this headphone even though I have some other "higher-end" cans. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #570 of 911
  Not sure if someones already told you but I believe the foam mod is a must with these. Very easy to do, when you change the pleather pads out for the velour's there is a thick felt disc at the center of the driver screen. It's glued on but mine came off easily. I replaced it with a thin cotton makeup removing pad I stole from my wife. Gone was the thick woolly bass and muffled highs replaced by nice low end and much cleaner treble. I also let mine simmer on low for over 50 hours before doing any listening.
I really enjoy this headphone even though I have some other "higher-end" cans. 

How do you do burn-in process? I heard mix reviews about this, I'm not eager to try it but if it makes a significant different then it couldn't hurt. So how long and what did you use for the burn-in process? The foam mod seems simple enough, can do that, by the way which one do you prefer Superlux HD668b or HD681 EVO? Seems like you own both was just curious, thank you for the suggestions. I listen to mainly (vocal) pop, hip-hop, techno but also mix of genres of music. Wouldn't mind if the bass was punchy (hopefully these are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back