[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Jan 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #541 of 911
I also own the 668b and the 681evo. I would recommend the 681evo. The 668b has a little more upper mids than the 681evo, but I don't think anything is missing in the 681evo mids, no loss of detail and it sounds a bit more natural to boot. The bass is more powerfull in the 681evo, but that also has something to do with extension, the 681evo goes noticeably deeper into the low frequencies than the 668b. The highs are somewhat lower in the 681evo, but that is a good thing because there is too much treble in the 668b. The 681evo has more neutral and more natural highs along with the fine balance in the mids.
Build quality is better with the 681evo, much better pads and a better headband.
There is no doubt in my mind, you should clearly go for the 681evo. (Not that the 668b is a bad headphone, the evo is just better in every way, that's all)

@Dafo 
Thank you for your comparizon. I've already rejected HD668B thanks to few nice reviews of Superlux family. Indeed I'm going to go most probably for the EVO but I am also weighing up HD681B now, because one guy here on the forum (@Natsukawa), who owns all Superluxes, said that 681B have slightly bigger sounstage and better instrument separation than EVO while smoother trebles unlike HD681. So I am a little bit confused which one to buy since I like EVO's design more and they sound phenomenally good for their price but still I can imagine that older one often overlooked 681B might be slightly better in terms of sound. Seems like I won't be able to choose one untill I test them in a market (when I have time for that).

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #542 of 911
  @Dafo 
Thank you for your comparizon. I've already rejected HD668B thanks to few nice reviews of Superlux family. Indeed I'm going to go most probably for the EVO but I am also weighing up HD681B now, because one guy here on the forum (@Natsukawa), who owns all Superluxes, said that 681B have slightly bigger sounstage and better instrument separation than EVO while smoother trebles unlike HD681. So I am a little bit confused which one to buy since I like EVO's design more and they sound phenomenally good for their price but still I can imagine that older one often overlooked 681B might be slightly better in terms of sound. Seems like I won't be able to choose one untill I test them in a market (when I have time for that).

You're welcome.
It is always a good idea to listen to a headphone before a purchase and even better if you have the opportunity to compare them with others when listening. Happy listenings when you get the time :)
(Keep in mind there is another small plus in favor of the 681evo and that is the detachable cables and the extra velour pads...)

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #543 of 911

You're welcome.
It is always a good idea to listen to a headphone before a purchase and even better if you have the opportunity to compare them with others when listening. Happy listenings when you get the time :)
(Keep in mind there is another small plus in favor of the 681evo and that is the detachable cables and the extra velour pads...)

Well I guess my local music shop which sells these HPs has also velour pads in their sortiment, so final price would be same as EVO's one. But yes, detachable calble is really practical. I will weigh it up.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #544 of 911
Just now 30 hrs into burning in my new 681 Evo Version IIs and thought I'd ask if there anyone is aware of someone with these Evo's who has elected not to modify them. If so, how are they? I am quite happy with them at the moment, but they are still burning in. Obviously, they are bass-heavy and perhaps a bit recessed in the mids and treble (to me). Is that what others have experienced with the un-modified Evo? I am not very good with my hands and am worried I'll trash them if I do these mods. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #545 of 911
  Just now 30 hrs into burning in my new 681 Evo Version IIs and thought I'd ask if there anyone is aware of someone with these Evo's who has elected not to modify them. If so, how are they? I am quite happy with them at the moment, but they are still burning in. Obviously, they are bass-heavy and perhaps a bit recessed in the mids and treble (to me). Is that what others have experienced with the un-modified Evo? I am not very good with my hands and am worried I'll trash them if I do these mods. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I think i want to use some modified connector cable to evo, maybe can help tightened bass sector a little bit

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #549 of 911
I just decided to buy another one yesterday. I already bought and tested one earlier for a friend. I knew what I was getting into but I was still surprised at the quality. The shop in Germany sell them including extra velvet earpads. I am not going to mod them, except maybe the cable at a later time. I need a plug I like for that and the plug that comes with it I like very much. Aftermarket unimatch plugs are impossible to find.

Normally I use a 2005 Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm which I still like very much. I also have an old Sony F1 which I modified (still needs extra highs from eq) and an AKG 701. So you can see I'm not a basshead. I need speed and transparency. Neutral sound is IMO impossible through closed HP's. I get a headache (plus tinnitus) from to much bass. But I found the 681 Evo has all that plus a deep, not overemphasized bass.
I only use headphones at the computer so I always use equalization. Frequency response is only part of the quality and makes up for most of the character of a HP. I found I hardly needed any with the Evo. What's left is the timedomain. In the week I tested it I wasn't able to fault that. Maybe I will later. But as a thouroughly spoiled audiophile the only way up for me is to the 1k+ and I'n not willing or able to spend that much.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #550 of 911
Does anyone have thoughts or experience on the Evo vs. the Takstar 2050? I have the version II Evo. Love it. Just love it. Am thinking of adding the Takstar to my stable, depending on what you guys have to say.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #551 of 911
Takstar Hi2050 has less bass than the EVOs, slightly more forward mids, and slightly less harsh treble (but around the same ballpark). Takstars are much more solidly built, and also more comfortable (If you get the updated version; the older version has a short headband and will be too small for larger heads). The EVOs have a slightly wider soundstage.

I personally think that the EVOs are the better headphones for music, while the Hi2050s are more suited for gaming/voicechat. 

Considering how cheap they are (I got mine for like $30) I think its a good idea to get them anyways, unless bass is something you value. At the very least I think they are better than the Superlux HD668Bs.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #553 of 911
  Takstar Hi2050 has less bass than the EVOs, slightly more forward mids, and slightly less harsh treble (but around the same ballpark). Takstars are much more solidly built, and also more comfortable (If you get the updated version; the older version has a short headband and will be too small for larger heads). The EVOs have a slightly wider soundstage.

I personally think that the EVOs are the better headphones for music, while the Hi2050s are more suited for gaming/voicechat. 

Considering how cheap they are (I got mine for like $30) I think its a good idea to get them anyways, unless bass is something you value. At the very least I think they are better than the Superlux HD668Bs.

Interesting. I always thought of the evos as the ultimate kind of gaming "headset"
Cool that the takstars are almost as good with soundstage and maybe even better with positioning.

I definitely would say the build quality is the biggest issue with the EVO but for 40$, there really is no room to complain....at least so I thought.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #554 of 911
I have to say I am pretty darn pleased with the build quality of my Evo's at this stage in their life and for the modest price. Maybe that will change, but hopefully they will hold up. I really enjoy listening to music on mine--am not a gamer, yet anyhow.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #555 of 911
  I have to say I am pretty darn pleased with the build quality of my Evo's at this stage in their life and for the modest price. Maybe that will change, but hopefully they will hold up. I really enjoy listening to music on mine--am not a gamer, yet anyhow.

They will most definitely hold up. They're made mostly out of plastic but it's a deceivingly strong plastic.
I never felt like mine would break or snap at any point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back