[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
May 3, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #481 of 911

While the Asus cards do offer a good sound quality and value - one can easily opt for some of the Asus cards above $150 on up to $499.  However, do keep in mind, most motherboards with the on-board sound card options usually have an optical output.  I've found that having a DAC which accepts an optical input can be the best value.  If you're not a gamer and don't need the best sound card, the optical will send a very clean and pure signal so your DAC and amp can do the rest of the work.  The savings from not purchasing a sound card can be applied towards the cost of your DAC.  Your sound quality will be better, too.

With that said, I still have my trusty $29 Asus sound card in my computer as I use it for routing the standard computer output to my desktop speakers.  This keeps the optical dedicated for my music.  I realize that one can configure the outputs where Foobar would use the defined output - e.g. optical and the standard output could be sent to the speakers.  In my case, it just seemed easier to keep each process handled by the respective sound devices.  I've found that using the optical output can be a bit of less interrupted sound session too.  The USB outputs for sound to the DAC and amp can bog down a bit depending on system processes.  This of course can be remedied by adjusting the buffer in Foobar for Wasapi accordingly.  I've just found that the optical output took a bit less tweaking on the buffer though.

Uhn, interesting.

Unfortunatly my motherboard doesn`t have an optical output ( MSI H77MA-G43 ) i`m a gamer, but i don`t play a lot of FPS, mostly RPG games so i don`t really need an sound card, and i not very interested in Creative or Dolby stuff.
This is my first good headphone ( i`ve use just cheap chinese headphones and some really cheap sony sold in Brazil ) and i`m really impressed with it, and for sure i`ll buying others headphones in the future.
Would you recomend some cheap usb DAC on ebay? Maybe it`s better to buy an DAC now and an AMP after a while instead of the DGX.

May 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #482 of 911
  eeeh. After only a couple days use (1 week?!) My evo has gone back to the muddy state it was OOTB. Anyone ever experienced that? I haven't used it at any super loud volume yet it seems like my drivers are damaged, the sound comes out sort of ringing/muddy. I've mainly been listening to rock/metal these past two days could that be it? :| I'm scared lol.

EDIT: Eh, had a huge clip and then it went back to above average. Basses are booming a lot more since still getting a bit of a muddy mid/bass but I guess burn in period isn't over

I think this mid/bass hump is the weakness of EVO, if you listen to rock/metal then a little EQ to correct this frequencies could be more necessary

May 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #483 of 911
  I think this little mid/bass hump is the weakness of EVO, if you listen to rock/metal then a little EQ to correct this frequencies could be more necessary

I am beginning to think this as well.  I've had my EVOs for about 2 weeks now.  I have ran them for about 30-40 hours and I still hear the mid/bass hump too.  Switched back to my plain ole HD 681s. I think I may like the signature of the HD 681s better than the EVOs. 

May 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #484 of 911

I am beginning to think this as well.  I've had my EVOs for about 2 weeks now.  I have ran them for about 30-40 hours and I still hear the mid/bass hump too.  Switched back to my plain ole HD 681s. I think I may like the signature of the HD 681s better than the EVOs. 

For me this EQ fixed the vocals and brought more presence to the guitar sounds, if you wanna try it...

-1db for 31Hz | -4db 62Hz | -2db 125Hz | -0,4db 250Hz | 4db 500Hz | 5db 1Khz | 5,5db 2Khz | -7db 4Khz | 3db 8Khz | -1db 16Khz

pre-amp = -5,5b >> 

soon i'll make a filtermod to correct frequencies

May 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #485 of 911
Hi guys, let me share my impressions:

I've had other Luxes in the past: Samson SR850 as my first set of home cans and the HD661 as my portable. I used my SR850 for mixing and mastering amateur recordings, which served it purpose. The bass is very lacking to my taste, unless I push the cups to my head. The HD661 has a sound signature that I really love, specially when paired with a dark portable amp, like the FiiO e20i. It has great details on high, a good mid and a low reach deep enough for my songs: Van Halen, DragonForce, EDM, dubstep, U2, etc. But sound stage is cramped and comfort is lacking.

With the EVO, I was expecting the best of both worlds. But out of the box, with the included velour pads, I felt it was too dark. Too much mid-bass hump (boomy) which I HATE! It has a clear high but LESS detailed than the SR850 or HD611. (NOT good for DragonForce songs). And my biggest gripe is the recessed mids. I just feel that no male vocals and guitar solos (1kHz-4kHz) are represented correctly, leaving me something to desire. Although, heavy bass songs, such as Dominik Hauser's Rains of Castemere sounds great on it. No amount of EQ-ing fixed my problem.

Until....
I read about removing the felt discs in front of the drivers. I was hopeless and decided to give it a shot. The result was better. A reduction of the boomyness and more detailed high, i.e. more "analytical" to my ears. But it doesn't fix my mid/vocal gripe. Then I removed the foam as well. Which only reduced the the bass somewhat.

But then...
I decided to play with the EQ-again. I increased 16Hz by 4dB, 250Hz by 1dB, 1-3kHz by 4dB, 4kHz by 6dB and 16kHz by 3dB. I like my music loud!

Suddenly, there it is! A headphone with tight, non-boomy bass, with a good and very noticeable rumble for bass drums (although the left cup has more rumble vs the right, probably common to single entry cans, but CMIIW), a prominent mid for male rock vocals and guitar solos, an 'analytical' non-piercing high to hear the details of the cymbals with no sibilance (although not at the SR850 level of details). This is from the Nexus 4 as source, Spotify premium (Extreme Quality streaming) and no amp. The best of both worlds.

After a very few simple mods I found my perfect headphone! And I'm really glad that I did, because I gave away the SR850 to a friend and the HD661 got stolen.

Now, I don't know if I need to do any filter mods, but I don't supposed I do, because I'm satisfied with the EVO right now. Superlux has did it again!

Although, I need suggestion for a cable replacement. My 1m cable jack is already giving out, I need to adjust it every few minutes just to make sure it properly connected. I'm looking for a ready made cable (not DIY) from an trusted brand, but cheap enough to justify the purchase. I'm considering one from FiiO. Anyone has an experience with their cable? I read copper wire will improve the sound even more. Is the FiiO copper? Or should I get another brand?

And can anyone confirm that the left cup has more rumble than the right? Never had dual-entry headphones to confirm it my self.

Thanks guys, you guys are the greatest.

May 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #487 of 911
With the EVO, I was expecting the best of both worlds. But out of the box, with the included velour pads, I felt it was too dark. Too much mid-bass hump (boomy) which I HATE! It has a clear high but LESS detailed than the SR850 or HD611. (NOT good for DragonForce songs). And my biggest gripe is the recessed mids. I just feel that no male vocals and guitar solos (1kHz-4kHz) are represented correctly, leaving me something to desire. Although, heavy bass songs, such as Dominik Hauser's Rains of Castemere sounds great on it. No amount of EQ-ing fixed my problem.

Until....
I read about removing the felt discs in front of the drivers. I was hopeless and decided to give it a shot. The result was better. A reduction of the boomyness and more detailed high, i.e. more "analytical" to my ears. But it doesn't fix my mid/vocal gripe. Then I removed the foam as well. Which only reduced the the bass somewhat.

But then...
I decided to play with the EQ-again. I increased 16Hz by 4dB, 250Hz by 1dB, 1-3kHz by 4dB, 4kHz by 6dB and 16kHz by 3dB. I like my music loud!

Suddenly, there it is! A headphone with tight, non-boomy bass, with a good and very noticeable rumble for bass drums (although the left cup has more rumble vs the right, probably common to single entry cans, but CMIIW), a prominent mid for male rock vocals and guitar solos, an 'analytical' non-piercing high to hear the details of the cymbals with no sibilance (although not at the SR850 level of details). This is from the Nexus 4 as source, Spotify premium (Extreme Quality streaming) and no amp. The best of both worlds.

Just removed the inner felt discs over the drivers on my EVO and I agree.  Sound quality seems to have improved.  I'm liking it so far but it does make the EVO brighter.  May have to EQ the highs down a bit but it definitely helped with the mid bass hump.

May 27, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #488 of 911
Just removed the inner felt discs over the drivers on my EVO and I agree.  Sound quality seems to have improved.  I'm liking it so far but it does make the EVO brighter.  May have to EQ the highs down a bit but it definitely helped with the mid bass hump.

I guess it depends on what kind music you're listening to. I ended up increasing the highs in the 16-20kHz instead, because the EVO has a drop in frequency response in those range, in exchange for a bit of added harshness. For bright metal songs, not increasing them means loss of details. Although, didn't touch 5-15kHz.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #490 of 911
Removed the felt glued to the drivers, put back on the thick foam disc...gotta say it is now by far my favorite headphone. FAR prefer it over my 668b now. Removing the felt disc gives the headphone more "airiness", while putting back the foam disc in front of the driver makes it less sibilant.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #491 of 911
See now I have the EVO and HD668B and prefer the 668's with most material. I like its neutrality and how nothing overpowers anything else in the frequency range (after a long breakin). The EVO is a little bassy and coloured to me, don't get me wrong I really like the headphone but you have to be listening to the right material. Removing the foam, is it difficult? Is the foam actually glued to the driver or the driver screen? I'm thinking about trying it but is it reversible if you don't like it? Any instructions?

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #493 of 911
Listening to my EVO's from the O2 and they rock on Rush Chronicles, great fun
beyersmile.png

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #495 of 911
Yes, open those plastic clamps and pieces. 2 options - change rubber lines with softer rubber or put longer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back