[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Mar 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #436 of 911
If I remember correctly, I had downloaded a file from this thread- http://www.head-fi.org/t/296647/could-someone-please-direct-me-to-an-mp3-file-of-pink-noise

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #438 of 911
Thanks to the advice on the forum here, I made my purchase from Sonic Sense.  I used their store on Ebay to save the shipping costs and they ship the version 2 of the headphones with the included velour pads as well as the pleather pads (mounted on the headphones).

My intent for the purchase was far from using them as my main pair of headphones, but rather, to have a pair to use when I sleep.  For some reason, my wife doesn't like the fully-open HD-555 Sennheisers.  For a headphone of this price caliber, I'm actually truly surprised at the capabilities of it.  Granted, I'm still putting it through its paces and only have about 30 minutes logged on them.  I'll continue to get the hours logged on them to see if the sound change is notable on my end.

I still need to push some female vocals through them and see how the sound is.  I can appreciate the level of bass as well as the tamed treble.  I am going to swap for the velour pads though as I think the comfort will be better with the velour option.  I remember back with the HE-400 Hifiman headphones, switching between the pleather and the velour pads would provide for some notable changes in the bass.

More experimentation is needed.  Thanks to all who had contributed towards the efforts on these headphones here.  It's nice to have a knock-around pair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and if you get a nick or two on them, you won't feel completely guilty.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #439 of 911
Can someone tell me the differences between the HD681 and the HD681 EVO version?
And are the Black and White versions only different in design, or are there differences in sound/build quality/etc. ?

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #440 of 911
The EVO is the improved version of the 681 with improved design and sound signature. There are no sonic differences between the white and black versions.

As someone who has both, the 681 and the 681 EVO, I recommend the EVO.

Cheers,
K

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #441 of 911
Thanks a lot for the reply mate. Could you just tell me the difference in comfort between the two? Is the gripping force on the head same, and how big is the difference between the pleather (which is on non-EVO) and the velour(which comes with the EVO)?

EDIT: I heard there is a pair of headphones called Presonus HD7 that is very similar, how does it compare to the EVO?

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #442 of 911
Thanks a lot for the reply mate. Could you just tell me the difference in comfort between the two? Is the gripping force on the head same, and how big is the difference between the pleather (which is on non-EVO) and the velour(which comes with the EVO)?

EDIT: I heard there is a pair of headphones called Presonus HD7 that is very similar, how does it compare to the EVO?

The EVO comes with 2 sets of ear pads, pleather and velour. Am using the velour, they sound better. Comfort is about the same, though I must say, I thnk the 681 non EVO might be a bit more comfortable, but only to a very small degree and depending on your head.

Cant comment on the Presonus....

Cheers,
K

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #443 of 911
Many consider filter-modded HD-681 (old version red ring) better than EVO though, even against filter modded EVO. But that`s subjective and depends on source gear, hearing differences etc. also. Still, I wouldn`t call EVO with improved design and sound signature... design is actually more fragile to bending/stretching and headband system don`t fit so good for ppl with larger heads. Earpads and looks are only things improved imo. Presonus HD7 should be same as old version HD-681 if I remember correctly.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #445 of 911
Well, it really depends on your head. I find them a tiny but less comfortable than the original still comfortable though.

Sound wise, for the money you can't go wrong.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #446 of 911
For me, the standard one is fare more comfortable, and when you replace it with SRH840 PLeather or SRH940 Velour Pads ~ theres no contest ;D

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #447 of 911
I own this HP and i found this great with Movies and Music but not so good with female Vocals IMO... Also, for me it's decent for Electronic / Dubstep mix type of Music. So i guess this is more inclined to a "fun" type HP's... 
gs1000.gif

Gaming with BF4 is fun and exiting due to explosions but the bass level over powers the positional accuracy and it needed to EQ the low frequency for competitive play. 

Mods i made was changing to Velour pads that comes with it and removed the felt in front of the driver for clearer Mids and Highs. I've tried experimenting with filter mods to lower the bass and it got more interesting and the Mids and Highs are more detailed but i felt the soundstage/depth got smaller...

Probably, i'll be buying another pair of HP for use with competitive gaming and leaning towards AD900/X or Q701... But the price is 5X more. 
atsmile.gif
k701smile.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #449 of 911
The 668B is no fun HP for me and it has piercing High frequency... It's more flat sounding vs EVO... Not sure though what best frequency response for Metallica music. Both are good HP with different taste and purpose. I like the 668B for classical Music.

Buy both if i were you. :)

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #450 of 911
  I own this HP and i found this great with Movies and Music but not so good with female Vocals IMO... Also, for me it's decent for Electronic / Dubstep mix type of Music. So i

The impressions shared are always appreciated.  I don't want to imply to any members considering these headphones that the female vocals are bad, though - and it really comes down to personal preference.  A large portion of my listening sessions are female vocals.  I've found that the 681 Evo actually performs quite well with female vocals.  Where I now normally pinpoint when it comes to female vocals is with sibilance.  Oftentimes, headphones can do quite poorly in this area with female vocals and one can be experienced to a lot of "SssSsssSSSsss" when listening and it can really take away from the experience.   I've encountered situations with other headphones where I've basically had to cut out listening to any female vocals due to how horribly they were handled.  Even using a bit of EQ adjustment didn't fully resolve some of the issues with other headphones.  With the 681 Evo, I'm quite content with vocals and feel - or from my view or hearing, they do quite well and can even out-do some other headphones that can cost many times more what the Evo costs.

Hi everyone ! i'm newbie, i want to choice headphone  listen Metallica and Eric Clapton, B.B King..., Should i get Hd681 EVO or HD668b ? i have under 50$ for headphone

Another large percentage of my music listening is to blues and jazz.  Clapton, and others, do quite well with the Evo.  I'm happy with the signature - and while I prefer detail, I still find that the Evo being a dark sounding headphone is still not nearly as dark as the modified Fostex T50s that I've modified and listened to.  Plus, with the Evo, I've found the sound stage to be quite good.  There's a good width to the music that I hear.  Plus, the instrument separation is quite surprising - and at times, better than other headphones that I've owned which cost many times more.  Again - just sharing some impressions as we all hear things different than the next person.  Usually all headphones will experience one weakness or another - whether you spend $45 or $800 for them.  It's anticipated or expected that the $800 pair would have less faults, but that isn't always the case.  The key is matching up a pair of headphones to many factors - the type of music we listen to, our budget, the comfort level of the headphones along with many other qualifiers.  There have been times when I've actually performed "side-grades" instead of upgrades.  Sometimes, going from one $150 headphone to another $150 has been more beneficial to me with regards to a better sound matching to my tastes as opposed to going from a $150 pair to a $350 pair.

Yesterday, I received my 2nd pair of 681 Evos.  This most recent pair was from Sonic Sense where they were selling "open box" versions for about $35.00 - with free shipping.  The pair I received had a few small tears and rubs on the cardboard box, but the headphones looked just like new.  Plus, both cables and the velour ear pads were still present in the plastic bags just like if a brand new pair had been sent.  I'm not 100% sure of what I'll do with this 2nd pair.  I may try some modding options to see where I can take the sound.  Though, for a $35 to $45 pair of headphones, It's still good to be able to just sit down, turn on the music and enjoy them for what they are.  If you have a $400 pair of headphones, you will often be overly-critical of the sound as you'll often expect more, given the additional amount that you've paid.  Having the Evos, I'm finding I can just connect to the music easier because my "analysis-paralysis" doesn't set in and get in the way from hearing the music, which is the end result for most of us.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back