Review: Sunrise Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition
May 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 262
Quote:
So tell me this, if the margin is not already super thin, why not just spend 1% or even 0.1% of the total R&D cost to make their products a tiny bit different/better quality from the rest to get an edge in marketing? If there's no need to worry about profit, wouldn't it make so much more economical and financial sense to invest in a little quality control and design improvement? 

If I am correct you raise two points here, better marketing and an improved quality control, right? However, I think you need to see the two as mutually exclusive in today's market. Better marketing does not equal better quality control. I think we can all agree to that. If the aim is to get an edge in marketing as you say then surely this edge must be significant enough to beat the market leaders in terms of marketing and brand recognition? If so, then you are asking companies like Sunrise to compete with the likes of Monster (Dr. Dre series) and Skullcandy. Sadly, in today's market, this means either getting a celebrity endorsement or using all the colors of the rainbow, preferably with some fur, on your products.

BUT I agree that there are companies who manage to get an edge without taking that route. An example is Sennheiser. They are hugely popular in the Netherlands. But the difference is that, whereas Monster (Dr. Dre series) and Skullcandy have most of their succes to thank to above mentioned marketing, Sennheiser is popular because they managed to be present in every single major electronics store here, sometimes as the sole brand besides Monster, Skullcandy and your Sony's and Philips. Now I am not saying that Sennheiser does not do an excellent job in product design, what I mean is that their succes is largely accrued to a solid brand recognition as a "Hi-Fi" brand.

Now where does a company like Sunrise stand? It can't compete with the likes of Monster (Dr. Dre series) and Skullcandy but it is also in no position to go head-on with the likes of Sennheiser (in Europe) or Audio-Technica (in Japan). However from the two, I hope their ultimate goal is to be in the same league as the latter two. For this to work they need to create a brand first, and that means creating a reputation as a quality producer of IEM amongst geeks like us.

Now this relates to your second point, better quality control, and this is a point where I do agree with you. However this is an area where I think Joker has the upper-hand and I let him do the talking, and having read his post I must say his argument seems pretty solid too me :)

Anyway, that was fun.

May 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 262
How is the burn-in process for the X-IE coming along Joker?

popcorn.gif

May 15, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 262

Quote:
How is the burn-in process for the X-IE coming along Joker?

popcorn.gif

Slowly.. got about 120 hours on them now. Clarity has improved - I'd say it's about on par with the MEE CC51 and RE-ZERO now. Impressive considering that the sound signature is fuller and more lush than both.

May 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 262

Quote:
Slowly.. got about 120 hours on them now. Clarity has improved - I'd say it's about on par with the MEE CC51 and RE-ZERO now. Impressive considering that the sound signature is fuller and more lush than both.

Well that is good to hear! the CC51 was my only serious alternative instead of these, am glad I ended up with the X-IE though (though microphonics when worn down is really bothering me). Looking forward to the big review once these break-in!

May 17, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #20 of 262
If I enjoyed the Sunrise Xscape V1 but felt like the mids/vocals were a bit too recessed/not engaging enough, which version would you suggest Joker? I enjoy analytical and loved my ER6i's, but I felt like the V1's had the vocals much further back than the my ER6i's which surprised me.

May 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #21 of 262
Just wondering, but why is it that the Impressive Edition requires 200 hours of burn in by the manufacturer whereas the Xcited dont? I am curious as to how this works, hope you or someone else might have an answer :D

May 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 262

Quote:
If I enjoyed the Sunrise Xscape V1 but felt like the mids/vocals were a bit too recessed/not engaging enough, which version would you suggest Joker? I enjoy analytical and loved my ER6i's, but I felt like the V1's had the vocals much further back than the my ER6i's which surprised me.

How many hours did you have on the V1s?

May 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 262
Hello Joker, first of all, i'd like to thank you for your giant IEM comparison thread, helped a lot.

About two years ago i bought a pair of RE0's and loved them to death, but i lost them. So, now i'm going to buy a new pair of IEM's because i have a vacation coming up, and well i want some new headphones finally haha. I think i've basically decided on the Re-Zeros, but do you think i would be very dissapointed/unhappy if i didn't wait for the Xcited?

May 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 262
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the amount of time burned in but I had them for a good month. 4-5 hours a day x 20 days would be something like 100 hours? The mids were not moving foward as far as I could tell.

May 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 262

Quote:
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the amount of time burned in but I had them for a good month. 4-5 hours a day x 20 days would be something like 100 hours? The mids were not moving foward as far as I could tell.

Yeah, I thought the same and almost got rid of them.  200+ on the V1s made the difference for my set.  Mids and vocals are great on mine.

May 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 262
Quote:
Well that is good to hear! the CC51 was my only serious alternative instead of these, am glad I ended up with the X-IE though (though microphonics when worn down is really bothering me). Looking forward to the big review once these break-in!

I wouldn't discount the CC51 just yet - some (like myself) may even prefer the thinner note presentation of the CC51 or be willing to give up the thickness of the IE for the more aggressive detailing of the MEElecs. CC51 cable is a little less microphonic though it is a bit harder to wear over-the-ear.

Quote:

You'd probably have to move away from Sunrise. The Xcited is definitely more analytical than the V1 with a brighter, more airy sound but the vocals aren't any more dominant. The IE is the opposite, with lush, smooth, attention-grabbing mids but without any analytical edge. The RE-ZERO might be a better fit for your situation.

Quote:
Just wondering, but why is it that the Impressive Edition requires 200 hours of burn in by the manufacturer whereas the Xcited dont? I am curious as to how this works, hope you or someone else might have an answer :D

Not really sure. The changes I'm hearing between 0 hours and the 130 or so it has now are small and it really isn't all that bad out of the box. Not comparing it with the Xcited helps as the two are completely different in signature.

Quote:
Where do I buy these?

Probably ebay and lendmeurears.com as usual once they are officially released.

Quote:
Hello Joker, first of all, i'd like to thank you for your giant IEM comparison thread, helped a lot.

About two years ago i bought a pair of RE0's and loved them to death, but i lost them. So, now i'm going to buy a new pair of IEM's because i have a vacation coming up, and well i want some new headphones finally haha. I think i've basically decided on the Re-Zeros, but do you think i would be very dissapointed/unhappy if i didn't wait for the Xcited?

There is nothing wrong with the RE-ZERO - it's still a great earphone. Compared to the Xcited you will get a slightly less crisp and spacious sound with a more balanced midrange and smoother treble.

May 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #29 of 262
Would I lose a lot of detail compared to Xscape V1 or ER6i if I went Impressive Edition Joker? (currently leaning toward IE). I actually chose this direction because I wanted to try tasting something slightly different. I've been given a choice between the two for warranty and need to decide which one to go. Thanks for the help.

May 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #30 of 262

Quote:
Would I lose a lot of detail compared to Xscape V1 or ER6i if I went Impressive Edition Joker? (currently leaning toward IE). I actually chose this direction because I wanted to try tasting something slightly different. I've been given a choice between the two for warranty and need to decide which one to go. Thanks for the help.

No, not a lot. The ER6i and V1 are leaner-sounding than the IE so they have a bit of an advantage but for its sound signature the IE fares quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back