Review: Stax SR-001 MK2 in-the-earspeakers.
Mar 22, 2002 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Driftwood

100+ Head-Fier
[size=small]Stax SR-001 MK2 Electrostatic in-the-earspeakers[/size]
Electrostatic Sound on the go!

List Price:
$455 Retail (US)

Street Price:
$248 + $40 shipping (to the US) + 6% credit card surcharge ($305.28)
EIFL Exports, Japan. http://www.netspace.or.jp/~eifl/eifl/export/export2.htm
To order, contact Koji Wakabayashi, <kojieifl@saturn.netspace.or.jp>
Ships Worldwide.

$419 + $10 shipping
Soundscape Audio & Video, USA. http://www.soundscapeaudiovideo.com/
To order, contact info@soundscapeaudiovideo.com
Ships to US only.

Manufacturer:
STAX Ltd. (http://www.stax.co.jp/).
Phone: 81-49-258-3988
Email: info@stax.co.jp

001.JPG

Introduction.
I joined the Head-Fi community in February 2002 after looking around for more information about the Sennheiser HD-600 which I had recently purchased. I was extremely happy with the HD-600, but being large and open, it seemed that it was a headphone restricted for home use. (Except for in some rare cases, such as Audio&Me). As a result, I spent a good deal of time before I registered on Head-Fi looking for a portable system which could equal the HD-600. I know that the obvious answer is the etymotics, but despite their universally high regard, they didn't really interest me. Some people complained of the microphonic effects, and said that they experienced problems while walking. In addition, The extensive amounts of isolation provided by these headphones did not seem to make them the ideal portable headphone for me. However, the market seems to have a big gap between the etymotics and the nearest competition. But after looking around, there seemed to be one system that fit the bill: the Stax SR-001.

The Company.
Stax has been around since 1938, and although they once made a wide variety of audio products, since 1996 they have limited themselves exclusively to electrostatic headphones. Stax advertises their products not as headphones, but as earspeakers. In addition, they have a small range of products which are designed to fit within the ear, in a fashion similar but not quite like that of earbuds, and this line they call in-the-earspeakers. The SR-001 is the "portable" model from in this line.

Electrostatics.
People seem to either really like or have never tried electrostatics. The problem with electrostatic headphones (and speakers as well) is the cost. Electrostatic speakers are expensive, and electrostatic headphones are no exception. There are only a few dynamic headphones which reside within the same price range as electrostatics. The SR-001 seems to be the cheapest model, which still weighs in with a hefty retail of $455 (US). At this price, they seem to be the most expensive in-the-ear style headphone (that I am aware of), but in reality (like most things audio) can be found for much cheaper, and I got mine for $305 shipped, which is about the same as it would have cost me to get etymotics.

Description.
The SR-001 consists of The SRM-001 driver unit and the S-001 MK2 in-the-earspeakers. The driver unit is necessary in order to supply the massive voltage needed by electrostatics and runs on 2AA batteries, or about 4V, if you want to run on DC (an AC adapter is not included.) Batteries last about 5 hours. The driver unit contains a volume dial and two LEDs which indicate power and if they are getting adequate voltage (it is red when warming up, or when batteries are low, and green otherwise). The headphones are connected to the unit with a bizzare connector which as far as I know is present in this model alone, and thus restricts you to using the headphones and driver unit together. No other headphones will plug in to the driver unit; the headphones will not plug into anything BUT the driver unit.
The headphones themselves are attached to a inexpensive (cheap) looking headband that is detachable. The headband is plastic on the sides with a metal band covered with leather on the top. The headband is adjustable, but it seems like adjustment of the headband is the least important of any headphone I have dealt with in terms of getting it to be comfortable. Most of the weight is actually resting in the ears and not on the headband. This may seem uncomfortable, but it really isn't, once you get used to it. The headband is basically there to keep the headphones tight against the ears. Sometimes I find it nice to listen to the headphones with the headband removed, but you really get a lot better sound (and in particular bass) if you have the headband on. However, I enjoy the flexibility. It is nice to be able to take the headband off when I don't feel like wearing it, and still not have to worry about the headphones falling off.
This brings me to an interesting point. The headphones are unlike any other in terms of their fit. They seem from the pictures that they are like any other earbud, but with a piece that extends deeper than usual into the ear canal. This however is not the case. The main body of the headphone is too large to fit in the ear, and it sits outside the ear while they extend into your ear (but not into your ear canal like the etymotics) making for a light but secure fit when not using the headband.

Construction.
The most disappointing thing about the SR-001 is the construction. This hits you right out of the box. For $455 it seems that Stax could have done a lot more in terms of materials. the headphones are made out of plastic, and the driver unit is exremely light. With batteries, the driver unit seems to have a little bit more solidity to it. I am thankful that it is so light though, in that I never notice it while I am carrying it. The headphones themselves seem solid enough and the cable is a ribbon style, but the headband is quite shoddy. It really looks like it was taken from some $5 headphones. I suppose it isn't all bad though, because the headband is not really necessary to the comfort of these headphones, and it might even be a good idea because I see the band being the part most prone to breakage, and so I imagine it would be cheap to replace. In addition, these headphones have a real "sleeper" look to them, so I can't imagine anyone would see them and imagine their performance. I have no fear of anyone trying to steal them, as people who do not know exactly what they are would immediately write them off as very inexpensive headphones.
Do not be detered by the construction of the SR-001 however! Over the time that I have had them, I believe stax actually made some wise decisions in terms of construction. These headphones are not showy, but they do have quality in all the right places. The band is cheap, but everything else is very solid, and I do not fear that they will get broken. I have acctually really come to like how they are built.

Fit.
I think that something needs to be said about the fit of these headphones. It takes a little getting used to. Initially, about everyone who has tried them on has winced in pain. However, it only takes a few minutes to get the hang of them. After the first (uncomfortable) try, you figure out how they fit on you, and you can put them on without any discomfort whatsoever. If you get them on correctly, you do not even really feel that they are on. Over time, they can put a little pressure on the inside of your ears if you are wearing the headband, but I have worn them for extended periods of time with little discomfort, so this should not be too much of an issue. They are certainly not as comfy as the HD-600, but I wasn't expecting this. Also, I find (as does setmenu) that the fit is best (and so is the bass) on these headphones when the lead from each earpiece is tilted slightly forward. This is actually the most natural way of wearing these headphones anyway.

Sound.
I know that the most important issue to everyone here is the sound, so I will try to do this section justice. I have not reviewed any audio equipment before, so please bear with me. In addition, I fear that I am not as worldly in the ways of audio as some, so I don't have the basis for comparison that many others do. However, I do have a Melos SHA-1 and Sennheiser HD-600 which seems as good a benchmark as any, so I at least have something to compare it to.
The first thing I noticed when I listened to these headphones was how quick and crisp they were. I was shocked! I had read that since these were electrostatic and very small, they were extremely fast. This is the truth! Detail is able to really show through these headphones. A number of other people have tried to describe this as being able to hear each instrument seperately and distinctly, and I see no other way to describe it. The HD-600 seems to blend everything together in comparison.
The SR-001 seems to roll off a little on the treble. You will not get the incredible highs here that you get with the HD-600, but I find this forgivable. It gives the music a warmer sound in my opinion, and although I do notice that that extreme highs are not quite so present here, it is not distracting. It is a nice alternative from the HD-600, as sometimes I prefer one sound and sometimes I prefer the other. However, the treble is very clear, and almost more enjoyable than the HD-600 because it seems effortless here. Smaller details are also more noticable. Small twinkling sounds that were almost inaudible before at the beginning of the song "incantation" by Delerium sound amazing on the Stax.
These headphones are small, and have a hard time producing some of the really low frequencies with any sort of head-shaking punch, but the bass is definately audible. The bass is much better to all the other earbuds I have heard. I suspect that the etymotics would have the SR-001 beat here, but I have not heard the etymotics, so I cannot say for sure. In details, these headphones again excel. It is very hard for me to explain, but the bass lines sound very clear and sharp here, where in the HD-600 the same passages just sounded like bass in comparison. The bass in "incantation" is actually quite melodic and hearing it on the SR-001 gives me quite an emotional response. On the HD-600, it is an intriguing bass line, but here... I have heard this song literally hundreds of times, and the quickness to the bass is just stunning. I think that is the only way to describe it - the HD-600 sounds slow and undetailed in comparison.
The midrange is excellent. I am not sure of the proper audiophile-accepted terms to use here, but to me it sounds much more forward and sweet than the HD-600. The details shine through again here. The amazing quickness of these headphones is also very audible. Every attack and every release of every note is now detectable. Everything sounds so clear... This is definately a very strong aspect of the SR-001.
The soundstage is also excellent. I get a much larger soundstage than the HD-600. I think that part of it is the excellent midrange. I don't know if I can explain exactly why, but I feel a lot closer than I do with the HD-600. A lot of people have commented that the HD-600 give you that "last row" feeling, and now I see what they mean. The SR-001 makes me feel a lot closer to the performance.
The HD-600 sound is a lot more full. I am not sure exactly what the difference is; my ears are not refined enough for that, or I do not yet have the experience to be able to fully break down the difference. But whereas the HD-600 gives a full, rich, enjoyable listening experience, the SR-001 gives an equally enjoyable experience, but in a completely different way. The SR-001 seems to almost let you see "inside" the music. The SR-001 does not have the full, robust sound of the HD-600, but it has a very clean, clear, quick, more forward presentation that I find very enjoyable every time I switch to the SR-001.

Wrapping it up.
I know I have been rambling and incoherent so far, but please bear with me. I have been listening to the HD-600 and the SR-001 as I type this, and comparing them so closely has revealed some interesting things to my ears that I have a hard time putting to words. The HD-600 is neither better or worse than the SR-001 in my opinion. The two have such different presentations of the music, that it seems difficult to even compare. I am very gald I have both, becasue every time I switch from one to the other, I am impressed anew.

Ordering:
I feel it necessary to say a bit about purchasing these headphones as well. I would recommend EIFL exports very highly. I would not hesitate to buy from them again. Koji Wakabayashi was a pleasure to deal with, and answered all of my questions quickly and clearly. I was afraid that ordering from japan would result in some communication difficulties, but Mr. Wakabayashi spoke excellent english and was very friendly.
EIFL exports accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express, but if you pay with credit card there is a 6% surcharge. In addition, paying via credit card requires you to send your credit card information via email which I know a number of you feel hesitant to do. I suppose you could call, but long distance charges and time zone differences made this prohibitive for me.
Alternatively, you can save the 6% and send an international money order. If you take this route, the total cost should be $288.

Equipment.
Sony D-25S (for simplicity sake)
Markertek mini-mini cable
Also (for comparison):
Melos SHA-1
Sennheiser HD-600

Disclaimer: I was not able to use the same cables for the SR-001 and the HD-600. I tried a variety of setups, but since I have to use the Melos with the HD-600 and the associated driver unit with the stax headphones, I was forced to have slightly different setups. I know that this may result in some of what I was hearing being affected by the cables, but as this is a review of the SR-001 and not a comparison to the HD-600, I believe that my results are valid. I guess you will just have to accept that when I mention comparisons to the HD-600, It is understood I mean comparisons to the HD-600 with the SHA-1.

Please go easy on me. I am american, but english was never my strong point. I do not have the skill for a straightforward, easy to understand writing style that others here such as jude posess. In addition, this is my first review, and in the scheme of things, I am still a greenhorn. I am also afraid that I do not possess the refined ear required for reviewing, so what I tried to express here was my best attempt.

I hope this helps some of you who are considering buying the SR-001. If you have any questions, please ask me. I know that my review here is rather sloppy, but I would like to help as much as I can. Any feedback will help me to clarify and improve this review. If you have any questions you do not want to post here, please feel free to PM me or email me at ssauci1 [at] umbc [dot] edu.

Thanks!
Driftwood

Mar 22, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 30
Driftwood,

Get rid of the disclaimers...you don't need them. You did a fine job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 30
Here, Here!

A wonderful review. Thoughtful, and definitely coherent (no ramblings that I can see). Intelligent opinions presented with restraint and useful qualifiers. One of the most useful reviews I have read. Thanks for taking the chance on the Stax's, Driftwood, and for taking the time to write this. They "sound" awesome.

BTW, I see that Headroom's site carries them now for $399. Is that a new addition?

Mar 22, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 30
Driftwood
I agree nice review!
If you like the 001s have a listen to their big brothers you will be
doomed
very_evil_smiley.gif

setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 30
Driftwood

This was a very professional and well written review. I especially liked the way you broke things down at the beginning, listing the places where it is sold, manufacturer's web site picture and retail and street prices. Very nice. Thank you.

One other question, if you don't mind, is -- how well do these things isolate? Or do they isolate at all? You said one reason you wrote the Etymotic off of your list is because they isolate too much. Since these are Electrostatic, can I assume they're open? (I think Stax only makes one closed Electrostatic and it just came out this year.) How loud do these seem to other people when you're listening at normal volumes?

From your review, these seem like the ideal headphone for walking and moving around, maybe biking and that sort of thing, but I wonder if the Etymotic isn't still better for trains, airplanes and noisy offices (when you can manage to not be interrupted) because they isolate well enough to not disturb your cube neighbor or the guy in the next seat.

Mar 22, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 30
i agree on the fact that this was a great review. it also really opened my eyes up to electrostatics. i had never really considered them before, but now i'm quite interested.. i figure it's the only thing i haven't gotten so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and if you want to see a fine example of babbling and incoherency, read any of my posts.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Thanks for the wonderful review, Driftwood. Well-planned, well-written, and thoroughly enjoyable and informative......A+!
The downside of reading your review, howver, is yet another headphone has just been added to my "gotta try" list.
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 30
man! now I know you guys are just being nice!
redface.gif
I know my review wasn't that good...

but anyway, honestly, thank you for all your kind comments. The SR-001 is a very nice headphone and although it is small and portable, it certainly gives the HD-600 a run for its money!

the SR-001 isolates very little from my experience, but I can't say that I have ever really done any serious investigation about this. The only thing that I can say is that yesterday I had them on and had music on softly (but quite audible) and I was watching tv at the same time, and could hear the tv fine, but the tv did not drown out the music at all. Don't ask me why I was doing both at once... but there you go. For some this is probably a downside, but I really happen to like it. If you have the headphones on at any sort of volume though, I wouldn't worry about having outside noise audible while you are listening. Oh, and by the way, you don't have to worry about these headphones leaking to the outside world at all, they don't. They can't be heard outside the ear at all, as far as I can tell (when my girlfriend was wearing them, I could not hear them at all).

The only downside that I did not mention, which I feel I must in the interest of being fair, is that these headphones do get affected by wind. If it is very windy and you are walking into the wind while wearing these, it does cause a "whoosh" noise, but if, under the circumstances when you are walking directly into the wind, you turn your head slightly to the side, you no longer have the problem. It is really very minor, and I am not sure exactly what is causing the wind noise to be audible like that, but there you go. It has only really happened to me when it has been quite windy though.

Driftwood

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 30
Driftwood
what about that lovely noise the diaphram makes as you adjust
the fit.....don't you just love it...crunch crackle crunch
eek.gif

Setmenu

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 30
hehe... it is a little unsettling... I like how in the instructions it actually has a disclaimer that says that that sound is normal, and no, you aren't breaking them!

Driftwood

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 30
I have it on good authority that the Stax SR-001 is unfortunately being discontinued.

I have a pair of these and recently had to have one of the drivers replaced by the UK agent.

I used the SR-001 as my main portable cans from mid 1997 to late 2000 and can honestly say that these are the best portable headphones PERIOD! These phones and my trusty MZ-R30 are a killer combination.

I've been using a variety of Earbuds since and can say that none of them even come close. Personally, i'm just waiting to get a replacement headband from the UK dealer and i'll be back using them.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 30
Discontinued!!
eek.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

That IS a real shame........Dam.
Hell seems everything I like gets discontinued!!!
mad.gif

That means unless I buy[panic buy] more.....If my present unit
fails I will have NO summer phones!

ETYs are too invasive for my tastes and the Stax seemed a good
half way house.

Setmenu

I will have to email Stax, is it from them this news originated??

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 30
Excellent review, Driftwood! I bought a pair of these a couple of months ago and although I like them, I don't have much use for a portable right now so I may put them up for sale if anyone's interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back