Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Aug 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,306 of 2,566
That sounds interesting. I'd still be interested in hearing it one day as there are some aspects of the 334 that I did quite enjoy. Just the bass and treble....

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,307 of 2,566
That sounds interesting. I'd still be interested in hearing it one day as there are some aspects of the 334 that I did quite enjoy. Just the bass and treble....

The you would like the 335 as both are improved. They are still quite thick and a bit slow. I want a pair of Fitear but still on the fence between 435 and 335, depending non what sig I go for. According to Gavin, 435 is closer to se5.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,308 of 2,566
Quote:
The you would like the 335 as both are improved. They are still quite thick and a bit slow. I want a pair of Fitear but still on the fence between 435 and 335, depending non what sig I go for. According to Gavin, 435 is closer to se5.

I'd probably end up going for the 335 in that case as I want IEMs that are noticeably different from each other yet I like the sound signature instead of collecting IEMs for the slightly different flavors...

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,310 of 2,566
I'd probably end up going for the 335 in that case as I want IEMs that are noticeably different from each other yet I like the sound signature instead of collecting IEMs for the slightly different flavors...

SE5 is great, but... my old SE5 has much more bass rumble compared to my new SE5.. would be very interested to try the NT6 pro more than the fitears.. as I found the sound signature of fitears can be fatiguing after prolonged listening session, IMHO.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,311 of 2,566
Quote:
SE5 is great, but... my old SE5 has much more bass rumble compared to my new SE5.. would be very interested to try the NT6 pro more than the fitears.. as I found the sound signature of fitears can be fatiguing after prolonged listening session, IMHO.

So you also confirm differences. Which do you prefer? Your older unit or your newer one?

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,312 of 2,566
It's hard to say.. but my old SE5 has much more impact on the sub bass region that I miss! :p. Then again I feel the new SE5 is a tad bit smoother and more layered. Then again I don't AB.. it's all going by memory lee..

PS: but the very nice bass rumble is definitely missing on my new pair..

Or maybe was it the rumble from my already sold 3rd anniversary? Can you confirm lee once you have gotten hold of your SE5?

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,313 of 2,566
Quote:
It's hard to say.. but my old SE5 has much more impact on the sub bass region that I miss!
tongue.gif
. Then again I feel the new SE5 is a tad bit smoother and more layered. Then again I don't AB.. it's all going by memory lee..

PS: but the very nice bass rumble is definitely missing on my new pair..

So you also preferred the older model. Well the thing is I don't have a reference to make such a comparison so I'm much less likely to be disappointed :p. Anyways why did you get a new unit? Fit issues? Was it under warranty? Is it still your favorite IEM after this?

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,314 of 2,566
Broken, after just 2 weeks. But, Grzegorz did an amazing job, only took him 1 week to built me a new pair from scratch.

It's my favorite and the only go to iem for now. Makes my kaede, pf x, and togo334 collecting dust lol. Damn it SE5..

Get a TP Lee. the combination is truly amazing!!

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,315 of 2,566
Quote:
Broken, after just 2 weeks. But, Grzegorz did an amazing job, only took him 1 week to built me a new pair from scratch.

It's my favorite and the only go to iem for now. Makes my kaede, pf x, and togo334 collecting dust lol. Damn it SE5..

Get a TP Lee. the combination is truly amazing!!

That sucks :frowning2:. At least he built them fast. He built mine in a week as well. That's very impressive compared to Heirs 8+ weeks. I'm surprised you still have the 334? I thought you sold them?

Anyways guess it's a roll of the dice ain't it :wink:. Can't wait to hear them nonetheless

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,316 of 2,566
That sucks :frowning2:. At least he built them fast. He built mine in a week as well. That's very impressive compared to Heirs 8+ weeks. I'm surprised you still have the 334? I thought you sold them?

Anyways guess it's a roll of the dice ain't it :wink:. Can't wait to hear them nonetheless

Ya.. He builds them fast recently.. took him like 2 weeks to built my first SE5 lol.. not bad at all compared to the other competitors.

I bought tg334 again with the new and improved face plate. Kinda miss the sound ;p.

Lee, do you still have your 3rd anniversary? If yes could you please confirm if you hear / feel more bass rumble with the SE5? Thanks.. Hope you got them soon!

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,317 of 2,566
Quote:
Lee, do you still have your 3rd anniversary? If yes could you please confirm if you hear / feel more bass rumble with the SE5? Thanks.. Hope you got them soon!

Sure. Did your older pair have this effect with the 3rd ANV? I actually was having synergy issues with it when I upgraded to the gold cable. Sounded way too analytical and bass light. Virtually no warmth at all to the sound. Really ruined this pairing on the 1Plus2. But with goodvibes advice I changed the internal memory allocation to 2048 just before reloading the firmware. You do this once you followed the steps and plug the Studio V into the PC with the loader running. So right click on the internal memory, format, 2048. Then when you use the updater just simply select update firmware and do not check the full media erase or format button on the loader itself. This way it will keep the new allocation you assigned.

Basically what this did for him and I was add warmth and more bass quantity to the 3rd ANV. Even smoothing it out a bit. Making it easier on the ears, yet a nice warmth to it. This lends it self to the prat and mids most noticeably. Before I felt the prat was off. Just sounded a bit too mechanical on the gold cable. With this mod it sounds really good yet still very detailed. Love the warmth it adds to the mids :D. Works great on the Flat 4 Suis as well. The 3rd ANV is my go to DAP again for when I go out.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,318 of 2,566
Yep. Very nice and tight bass rumble I could feel it from my jaw up to the cranial skull. No joke!!

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try that. Ooohh maybe the new firmware of the 3rd anniversary that kills the bass rumble? I just recently bought back the 3rd ann like a month ago and it doesn't have the same effect on my new SE5 lol..

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,319 of 2,566
Quote:
Yep. Very nice and tight bass rumble I could feel it from my jaw up to the cranial skull. No joke!!

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try that. Ooohh maybe the new firmware of the 3rd anniversary that kills the bass rumble? I just recently bought back the 3rd ann like a month ago and it doesn't have the same effect on my new SE5 lol..

I doubt it. The new firmware was no good man. I think you'd have been complaining on the thread if it did have the updated firmware. It's sluggish and you can't hold the up or down button to scroll. You have to repeatedly click to move through files. That's bs and I don't have the patience to deal with that. Would have carpel tunnel in no time :p. The only plus really to the update was that it supposedly keeps more settings when you restart. So you don't have to keep changing to random or normal, etc. Other than that the firmware is a failure and they are back to the drawing board....
rolleyes.gif
Anyways let me know how that mod works out for you. If you need help you can PM me or goodvibes to walk you through the steps. It's a definite improvement for me :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back