Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Mar 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #601 of 2,566
Quote:

Just wanted to dig up this thread and report back. I just got my SE 5-Way back and absolutely no more issues! Thanks Grzegorz!
It's a breath of fresh air after using a broken pair of em3pros. Really spacious and detailed though my S9 probably doesn't do it justice. 
But sounds great and absolutely no complaints.

While I'm at it posting here, I'm still considering aftermarket/replacement cables (in particular the TWag v3 and TWcu v3 Hybrid cable from Whiplash).
Partly considering this also as I'm getting a fair bit of microphonics with the stock cable, the connector won't fit through my phone case without an extension of some sort, and I really don't like memory wire...

I know Joe has mentioned he hasn't tried too many aftermarket cables with the 5-way but does anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Great to hear your issues have been remedied!  I will be able to do some cable testing down the road, but unfortunately I don't have time for it at the moment.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #602 of 2,566
Am I the only one who hears lack of high in SE5? Listened Metallica today. Cimbals are very recessed. Cimbals have very wide frequency range. Looks like I hear the only mid part of it in SE5. I hear the high part of cimbals in Miracle and Hidition NT6 but not in SE5. It's like SE5 has cut at 10Khz or around that value.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #603 of 2,566
Quote:
Am I the only one who hears lack of high in SE5? Listened Metallica today. Cimbals are very recessed. Cimbals have very wide frequency range. Looks like I hear the only mid part of it in SE5. I hear the high part of cimbals in Miracle and Hidition NT6 but not in SE5. It's like SE5 has cut at 10Khz or around that value.

Joe could you maybe try to listen to the same song to confirm if it is a problem on his part ? Oh, and also, if they suck, why are you using them as your avatar ?

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #604 of 2,566
Quote:
Oh, and also, if they suck, why are you using them as your avatar ?

I'm to lazy to change it, sorry for that :)

I sent mine to Grzegorz for check and reshell (bad fit). Now my SE5 looks different - black translucent. But the lack of high stayed.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #607 of 2,566
Quote:
I'm not hearing any recessed highs... cymbals sounds well extended in my music but haven't heard the Metallica. Will do more listening when I got home...

Unfortunately I hear very different. Even my SM3 which is dark sound brighter than SE5. And I feel lack of high all the time when I listen to SE5.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #608 of 2,566
Unfortunately I hear very different. Even my SM3 which is dark sound brighter than SE5. And I feel lack of high all the time when I listen to SE5.

Maybe it's more the way of the presentation that doesn't suit your preference rather than the actual technical ability of the SE5 itself. I just tested using the android frequency test program and I can hear frequency from 5hz-18khz no problem and definitely there is no cut off in the 10khz region......

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #609 of 2,566
Quote:
Maybe it's more the way of the presentation that doesn't suit your preference rather than the actual technical ability of the SE5 itself. I just tested using the android frequency test program and I can hear frequency from 5hz-18khz no problem and definitely there is no cut off in the 10khz region......

That test programs usually show nothing because different frequencies mask each other. I mean if IEM has a lot of sub bass, it will affect vocal and cimbals. And so on. The only way to test IEM is listening to the music but not test signals....

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #610 of 2,566
Quote:

That test programs usually show nothing because different frequencies mask each other. I mean if IEM has a lot of sub bass, it will affect vocal and cimbals. And so on. The only way to test IEM is listening to the music but not test signals....

If I understand correctly, he uses a program which plays the various frequencies and he listens to see if he hears them. If that is correct, the comment does not apply.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #611 of 2,566
Quote:
If I understand correctly, he uses a program which plays the various frequencies and he listens to see if he hears them. If that is correct, the comment does not apply.

If IEM plays frequency 18,5 KHz when you try test signal, that does not mean you will hear that frequency when you listen to music. Because different frequencies mask each other. That means if IEM has a lot of bass, the high must be equalized to sound louder.

Test signal - 18KHz. Hear well. Music - all frequencies. 18KHz - hear badly.

Make sense?

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #613 of 2,566
Quote:

Not just you, I have said, time and again, that they're largely bass boosted and have shelved highs. The cut is actually first at 4.5 kHz, then another on top of it at 10 kHz.
The extension is excellent and they're largely equalizable - but that brings out the suppressed ringing in 3-5kHz range.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #614 of 2,566
Quote:
Not just you, I have said, time and again, that they're largely bass boosted and have shelved highs. The cut is actually first at 4.5 kHz, then again at 10 kHz.
The extension is excellent and they're largely equalizable - but that brings out the suppressed ringing in 3-5kHz range.
frown.gif

That's sad. I almost do not listen to SE5 since I bought it almost a year ago. I always feel like someone stole my cymbals. Now I sent my NT6 for reshell and have to return to SE5. Trying different cables and players without result. May be I should play with equalizer now :)

And the second problem of SE5 for me is bass bust somewhere at mid bass region. The music and vocal sound boomy sometimes because of that. Listen to The Civil Wars to understand what I mean. Booo-Wooo sounds very often

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #615 of 2,566
Quote:
Not just you, I have said, time and again, that they're largely bass boosted and have shelved highs. The cut is actually first at 4.5 kHz, then again at 10 kHz.
frown.gif

Funny, I recall you saying something totally different. Allow me to quote you if I may.

Originally Posted by AstralStorm 

Correction: My refitted SE-5 have arrived. Simply a stunning experience. They're perceptually near flat in range 30 Hz - 18.5 kHz when driven off a competent source and roll very gently beyond.

Of note, high output impedance will exaggerate midbass slightly, reduce bass control, cut all highest end and make them dip in 5-8kHz and peak around 10k due to an interaction with the crossovers. Make sure you use a proper amp or source. If somone calls them non-fatiguing, they're likely using a source with high output impedance, since it has exactly that effect on the sound of SE-5.

Bass is highly competent, brightness is on par with RE272 but more even. Extension is seemingly infinite. Control on both ends of the spectrum is perfect.

Bass reverb is actually better than dynamic driver GR07's and definitely better than RE272. Not sure which IEM has a similar amount of both bass and control.
Perhaps UM Merlin could compete in bass with those, but I haven't heard. Quantity is exactly right to my taste, a smidgen more than GR07, but more even.

Brightness is similar to RE272 which is just right, but the sound in general is far more solid, tangible and textured; without the resonant bell-like effect.

Soundstaging is excellent, very coherent and three-dimensional. Width is precisely as wide as it should be. Realism is such that masterfully done recordings actually come out exactly as live, which is no small feat.

Isolation is extremely good - different though from Comply-equipped IEMs, slightly less in high frequencies, but better at low end and generally more even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back