Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #1,411 of 2,566
Quote:
Glad I could help
wink.gif
I hope your fit problems will end soon and you can enjoy it without a pain. Good thing that, that's not your only hifi c/iem, in the meantime you can still enjoy 1+2 and all
happy_face1.gif

I found out that giving 5 10 minutes of breaks once an hour is actually helpful. I think it was Tupac who suggested that. Thanks to him
happy_face1.gif

Yeah it's not so bad due to having other IEMs to use but that's besides the point. I want to use them lol :p.

For me I'd need to take a break every 10 minutes and even then at that point it's getting sore on the lower portion of the ear. The upper parts of my ear lobes aren't really causing any major issues at this point. Most of the pain is coming from the bottom part of my ear (not the deep part of my ear though).

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,412 of 2,566
Fitting problem is like: it either doesn't exist in the 1st try or never go away.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,413 of 2,566
  Fitting problem is like: it either doesn't exist in the 1st try or never go away.
tongue_smile.gif

Thankfully that's not necessarily the case for me.
bigsmile_face.gif
So far so good. If this keeps up then I'm set.

Anyways just curious how often you guys clean your SE5s? I've been wiping them down with a little simple green and then use water after each use. I'm not sure how often I should use the dryer as well? I used it about 2 times so far since I've had them. Also when you put your SE5s in its carrying case do you have the ear canal piece facing down or up? Same for when using the dryer? Not sure if it matters? I was thinking it would make more sense to have it face up in the dryer so moisture can escape that way. But was thinking what if a piece of crude goes deeper into the sound tubes....

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,414 of 2,566
I put them in one of my dryers (incl. drying capsules) all the time since I've heard that silicone iems are more prone to moisture damage. I don't clean them every time I put them out of my ears (too lazy) but I clean them before going to sleep or  before using it again (the day after). I have a iem cleaning spray and use my hands to clean them. The tubes always face up when cleaning by spray (no liquid floating down to the canals) and face down when cleaning with the cerumen stick.
Did I mention they sound awesome? What the Senn HD 650 should have been..

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,416 of 2,566
  An audiologist explained to me that ear wax is somewhat acidic and over time (admittedly a long time) can be harmful to silicone.  It's probably a good idea to keep your CIEM canals clean.

I clean the tubes with the included cleaning tool after every time I take them out of my ears. I believe that would be enough? Also time to time I clean the earpieces themselves too, but I am kinda scared of doing that. I don't want any water in the tubes or cable connection area.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,417 of 2,566
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,419 of 2,566

Yeah I will buy one too. How often I should put my monitors in it? (General question for every ciem owner actually, especially SE5way of course)

I would run a drying cycle in the drying machine once a day and then store the ciems in an air tight case like a pelican case and put some desiccants in the case to keep the ciems dry over night. You can get desiccants here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00967JESM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,420 of 2,566

I would run a drying cycle in the drying machine once a day and then store the ciems in an air tight case like a pelican case and put some desiccants in the case to keep the ciems dry over night. You can get desiccants here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00967JESM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just to be clear, the instructions for the dryer don't even tell you to use it daily. That would eventually be harmful and honestly overkill. I use mine weekly, depending on how many hours you listen to yours and if you sweat a lot, you might want to use it every three days or so. Definitely don't use the UV setting daily...

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,421 of 2,566

Just to be clear, the instructions for the dryer don't even tell you to use it daily. That would eventually be harmful and honestly overkill. I use mine weekly, depending on how many hours you listen to yours and if you sweat a lot, you might want to use it every three days or so. Definitely don't use the UV setting daily...

Without using the UV light why would using it once a day be harmful? It's not a heater, so there should not be any heat induced damage, it is only a dehumidifier?

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,422 of 2,566

Without using the UV light why would using it once a day be harmful? It's not a heater, so there should not be any heat induced damage, it is only a dehumidifier?

Um... I don't know where you are getting your information, but the item you linked is a DRYER, it does dehumidify, but with heat. As you know, heat is always electronics worst nightmare (or maybe you don't know). There would be no way this device would be able to get moisture out, if it didn't use heat. It doesn't use desiccants or any variance, so how do you think it works? This dryer, uses convection to release the moisture, pretty simple. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #1,423 of 2,566
It indeed does use heat. I maybe use it once a week. I think that should suffice. The thing is I'm much more anal about keeping my SE5s clean than most it seems. After I am done they get a quick rinse with simple green and water to remove any oils. Then I dry them off with a cotton cloth and store them away. I ensure not to get any water in the housing or cable areas. Supposedly the silicone will absorb your sweat and oils if you don't keep them clean on a regular basis (sounds gross and unsanitary to me).

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #1,424 of 2,566

Um... I don't know where you are getting your information, but the item you linked is a DRYER, it does dehumidify, but with heat. As you know, heat is always electronics worst nightmare (or maybe you don't know). There would be no way this device would be able to get moisture out, if it didn't use heat. It doesn't use desiccants or any variance, so how do you think it works? This dryer, uses convection to release the moisture, pretty simple. 

Oh my bad it does use dry heat, but it is not alot of heat. Here is the review of it by average_joe, he says it's great.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569243/serene-hearing-aid-custom-iem-dryer-and-freshener-review

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #1,425 of 2,566
Hey guys,

I decided to buy a new case for my monitors, as you know Otter one is quite small and opening hurts my fingers even after using more than a month.

What I want is something bigger that I don't need to worry about the cable + if possible I would like to put a dap in it too. Something like let's say iPod Classic size or DX50 size. Which Pelican do you think would be the best for me?

I am not sure about that dap idea though, maybe I will just get something a bit bigger than Otter and keep the dap in my pocket. What other users suggest to me at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back