Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
May 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #873 of 2,566
Quote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/275840/SE%205-way%20Molds.pdf

Looks similar to my ear sizes. Not too small, but the canal parts can be somewhat thin. But the concha parts have good symmetric capacity.

May 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #874 of 2,566
Quote:

They look quite normal/average to me. Not big, not small.

Have you been specifically told by someone that you have small ears..?

Well yes, by Grzegorz actually. This is what he emailed.

Hi Geert,Your impressions have arrived, thank you.However, your canals are too thin to make it for the 5-way’s, unfortunately, as presumed. Moreover, the canals might be too thin to make anything in silicone, not just the 5-way’s, because of the fact that silicone is flexible and the canals would bend too much (they are very thing and long), preventing you from inserting silicone monitors into your ears at all.Therefore, if going custom, I’d suggest trying non-flexible, acrylic monitors, perhaps.Sorry about that and thank you very much for your interest once again.

May 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #875 of 2,566
Quote:
Well yes, by Grzegorz actually. This is what he emailed.

Well, I defer to Grzegorz' greater technical experience, if he feels that to be the case.

I look at your images and they appear quite average in size, to me, but Grzegorz is making silicone CIEMs every day for many years. He is very technically proficient.

The final decider would be for you to risk sending him the impressions to see what he thinks of them when they are in front of his eyes. Of course, that would cost you some shipping, but if you are prepared to do that, I don't suppose he would object to looking at them in reality, for a couple of minutes. If the answer is no, then you have incurred a bit of wasted expense, but it's not the end of the world.

May 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #876 of 2,566
Well considering I was about to spend a lot of money on a CIEM, I really didn't mind spending the 20 euro shipping cost. The bad news is that I received that mail after he received and inspected my impressions. After I send him those pictures he already said it  looked worrying. That's why I'm diligently searching for an alternative. Which of course will take some time, because after months and months of reading, i decided on the 5-way. Now i'll have to start over again, which is — I must admit — a little disappointing.

And like I said before, Grzegorz was a real pleasure to deal with, very fast in responding, very structured answers. And it is only logical he has to deny people from his products if the promised quality can not be achieved.

May 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #878 of 2,566
I am so happy that I'm about to join this big yet small family!!!
Grzegorz:
"Fortunately, it will be possible to make the 5-way's for you with some protrusion. Luckily, the conchas are capacious and their shape, structure and symmetry allows it, though barely and it's still quite difficult to make it."

Thank god, it finally worked!
Big thanks to my audiologist too, for using up a whole tube of impression materials to fill my whole ear upon my request!
Big thanks to Tupac for "lending" me his address and poisoning me every now and then during these hard months with his se5 impressions so that I did not give up trying.
Finally, HUGE thanks to Grzegorz for making this miracle happen, I never thought my ear size would fit se5way! Oh and also for the super fast speed 1 week production time!!!

May 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #879 of 2,566
Quote:
Grzegorz:
"Fortunately, it will be possible to make the 5-way's for you with some protrusion. Luckily, the conchas are capacious and their shape, structure and symmetry allows it, though barely and it's still quite difficult to make it."

Big thanks to my audiologist too, for using up a whole tube of impression materials to fill my whole ear upon my request!
Big thanks to Tupac for "lending" me his address and poisoning me every now and then during these hard months with his se5 impressions so that I did not give up trying.
Finally, HUGE thanks to Grzegorz for making this miracle happen, I never thought my ear size would fit se5way! Oh and also for the super fast speed 1 week production time!!!

You just gave me a hope 
happy_face1.gif
 Also I am impressed by the production time, that's wonderful. If everything goes ok, before this summer finishes I am getting mine too. I hope my ear canals are large enough.

Well, enjoy your little diamonds and welcome to the club 
wink.gif

May 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #880 of 2,566
Quote:
Grzegorz:

In my opinion, they are totally worth it. Hope you will love them.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #881 of 2,566

Thanks Joe for the awesome review.
Thanks Tupac for everthing you did for me (and to me).
Thank everybody on this forum for their truthful and unselfish sharing.
This is an engineer marvel in 21th century.
Oh, these, both of them, the player too, actually.
And when you pair them together, heaven's open, angels fall, falling down into my ears : )

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #882 of 2,566

And when you pair them together, heaven's open, angels fall, falling down into my ears : )
I am trully interested in this pairing. ..tell us mooooooooooore.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #883 of 2,566
Quote:

Nice!  Glad to hear everything turned out fine and you are hearing what I hear when I listen to the SE5.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #884 of 2,566
So far, I have none of the issue mentioned before.
It is not dark at all. But it is less bright than, say, the sennheiser HD800.
The bass quantity is never too much, less than my JH16 for sure. In fact, you might even find it bass lacking on some tracks if you are used to bass heavy headphones.
Sound stage is not narrow at all, deep and 3D.
The vocals, however, at higher listening volume, stands out of the rest a bit for some recordings. For others, no issue at all.
The most amazing thing is the attack and decay. The naturalness of each note is superb, organic indeed.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #885 of 2,566
So far, I have none of the issue mentioned before.
It is not dark at all. But it is less bright than, say, the sennheiser HD800.
The bass quantity is never too much, less than my JH16 for sure. In fact, you might even find it bass lacking on some tracks if you are used to bass heavy headphones.
Sound stage is not narrow at all, deep and 3D.
The vocals, however, at higher listening volume, stands out of the rest a bit for some recordings. For others, no issue at all.
The most amazing thing is the attack and decay. The naturalness of each note is superb, organic indeed.

So glad you love them :)
And we can exchange the dx100 and 901 back if you wish :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back