Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
May 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #796 of 2,566
Just received my 5-way :)

How much burn in do they need? I feel that they are a litte bit sharp around frequencies for female voices (4kHz?) But they are not dark and soft as I had expected, not yet anyway. I find my JH16 to be less fatigue then the 5-way right out of the box.

May 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #797 of 2,566
133 ohms impedance
Guys, I have a newbie question.

I didn't read all the thread yet, no time unfortunately. In SE website, the specs are not mentioned. What are the impedance and sensivity of these ciems?

For me, they are kind of end game ciem and soon or late they will be mine. I am just curious and being impatient for the moment.

May 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #798 of 2,566
What source are you using ? Also, try a lot of different tracks because the se5 are very revealing, so tracks with average mastering will sound bad.

How much burn in do they need? I feel that they are a litte bit sharp around frequencies for female voices (4kHz?) But they are not dark and soft as I had expected, not yet anyway. I find my JH16 to be less fatigue then the 5-way right out of the box.

May 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #799 of 2,566
Quote:

That's what I find for my 5 way rev.2, a little bit more emphasis on upper mid, but still no way near fatigue, it just makes the detail easier for you to hear. Yeah, probably try other source or songs.

May 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #801 of 2,566
Allow me to answer :). Yes, they are perfect for each other. Best combo I've heard so far.

Thanks Mimouille. I remember you are using it with Tera Player. TP has enough juice to drive it properly? I read 'great' things about TP but drivin power hungry iems/headphones wasn't one of them.

Edit: Typo

May 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #802 of 2,566
I use Tera Player with and with out the Portaphile 627. And yes there is big difference between tracks. Some tracks without a harsh upper mid is fantastic. But I still feel a bit of emphasis on upper mids that feels like a coloration coming from JH16. But I have no other cable to use but the stock cable that is not burned in. The sound is much more dens than JH16 in a good way. But it is hard to compare this two since they are very different. When switching from SE to JH it is like there is an reverb added to the music with much wider and thinner sound. But the color of human voices is different between these two for sure. Witch one that has flattest response I can't tell. But comming from JH16 I feel a emphasis on the upper mids on SE-5. Van morrison has a very woody voice and he becomes even more woody and nasal harsh on SE-5 :)

May 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #803 of 2,566
I must say it is very hard to compare the 5-way with JH-16 since the 5-way change much as commented before and they are very different. I am used to listening to higher volumes with JH-16 and when I listen at the same volume on the 5-way the upper mid (voices) can become to much, but when I lower the volume the JH-16 seams thin and body less in voices and then I clearly prefer 5-way. I believe Joe like to listening at lower volumes and then the 5-way seams really good and maybe more true, but I got almost the opposite feeling on high volumes. To me they bring equal amount of details (That is with JH16 driven from 3A witch means phase correction like freqphase) but in different regions since the 5-way emphasise the upper mids and JH-16 emphasise the highs. I said before that the JH16 was wider witch is not true on every track but since it emphasise on the highs it is more airy and mostly give a sense of bigger space but at same time much thinner and a little artificial almost like a reverb effect in comparison with the 5-way. But I personally feel that an emphasise in the upper mids can be more harsh and resonance like, e.g. with applauds and choirs, especially when many male tenors singing their praise to heaven witch can be a scary religious experience on high volumes with 5-way :wink:. But I really must listening more to the 5-way since I am so used to the JH-16 sound. So far I must say that 5-way is really good and easy listening with low volumes since it presents much details and sounds true all ready at very low volumes.
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [size=13.142857551574707px]What do you think of the 5-ways upper mid at (very) high volumes Joe?[/size][/size]
[size=small] [size=13.142857551574707px]Not as smooth / soft as JH16 is it?[/size][/size]
[size=small] And they have kind of different "colors" to there sounds, would you say that the "color" or 5-way is somewhat similar to ACS T1 Live! and that it might have to do with the silicon sound verses acrylic sound?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Thanks[/size]

May 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #804 of 2,566
For me, I do find jh16 has a hump at 4.5k which combines the peak at 8k together taking the presentation very forward (so called acrylic sound). Se5 is more forward around 2-3 k that make it sounds more mid forward generally than jh16 (jh16 has recessed 2-3k IMO). And se5 is way more smoother than jh16 since it's super flat around 6-10k (so called silicone sound?) combing with extremely extended upper treble compared to the rolled off jh16's upper treble.
It's weird that you find a upper mid region stand out from the rest of the spectrum cuz even se5 is full and organic, the entire spectrum is still very flat to me, and I don't think it will change that much when you vary the volume, it shouldn't work like that.

May 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #805 of 2,566
It sounds great out of the Tera. It has more space out of my ak100 mod, but the Tera brings the se5 organic sound to its paroxism. I thing the bass is powerful enough, though of course not as strong as would be with a film size setup I would imagine ( do mot have one )
Thanks Mimouille. I remember you are using it with Tera Player. TP has enough juice to drive it properly? I read 'great' things about TP but drivin power hungry iems/headphones wasn't one of them.

Edit: Typo

May 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #806 of 2,566
Quote:
It sounds great out of the Tera. It has more space out of my ak100 mod, but the Tera brings the se5 organic sound to its paroxism. I thing the bass is powerful enough, though of course not as strong as would be with a film size setup I would imagine ( do mot have one )

Thankyou for the explaning man, soon or late I am getting 5-way that's for sure, but TP I am not sure I would buy it. The things I want and the things TP can give differs a bit. In its own way TP is an excellent player but some aspects of it doesn't fit me.

Maybe upcoming reference dap X5 from FiiO can do the trick. But I have a lot of time in front of me to read and decide 
happy_face1.gif

May 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #808 of 2,566
Quote:
Grzegorz confirmed the SE5 has an impedance of 133. So should be fine with both TP and AK100 (to a lesser extent).

That is not true, the impedance is highly non-linear. It dips to ~20 Ohm (please excuse the lousy voltmeter, hence no chart) at the highs. Similarly to Triple.fi 10 in this regard.
I had 1 dB difference upwards of 5kHz on 10 Ohm vs 0 Ohm output impedance amps.

And yeah, if SE3 sounds like SE5, it's going to be shelved highs as well and strong, boosted bass. Just the kind of Audeze LCD2 rev1 tuning.

May 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #809 of 2,566
Quote:
That is not true, the impedance is highly non-linear. It dips to ~20 Ohm (please excuse the lousy voltmeter, hence no chart) at the highs. Similarly to Triple.fi 10 in this regard.
I had 1 dB difference upwards of 5kHz on 10 Ohm vs 0 Ohm output impedance amps.

And yeah, if SE3 sounds like SE5, it's going to be shelved highs as well and strong, boosted bass. Just the kind of Audeze LCD2 rev1 tuning.

Have you tried a SE with AK100? I have have, as has one of my friends, and it pairs great. So if you haven't, please keep to yourself. It certainly has not boosted bass nor shelved highs neither with the AK100 nor with the Tera. If your pair does, just send it for repair.

May 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #810 of 2,566
*New* AK100 has low output impedance from what I could find, so there you have it. (Just below 1 Ohm.)
Therefore it will drive any kind of balanced armature IEM without changes from stock.
Old AK100 has 22 Ohm output impedance. It will drop treble some - estimated about 2 dB. I don't need to hear it to actually know how much it will do.

I was specifically talking about FiiO E10 (10 Ohms) vs Leckerton UHA 6S (0 Ohms). That gave 1 dB difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back