Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #2,461 of 2,566
But then, this thinking only applies if ultimate realism is the goal to be achieved here. Although I very much strive for realistic reproductions of sound from my IEMs, I also need them to align to my personal tastes, my personal definitions of realistic/reference/fun, etc., and that is achievable through the precautions I take when reading reviews by someone like Nic, who happens to have similar tastes, definitions of sound, and IEMs as I do, if a direct audition of the IEM is not available to me, e.g. the SE5U. Artificial music, although filled with synthetic instruments, effects, etc., can still become either pleasing to the ear or downright harsh or terribly muddy depending on the IEM you use; it doesn't automatically become irrelevant simply because it can't be compared to real-life instruments and therefore doesn't have an "absolute reference". Using live performances as a reference is also tricky because you have to have attended both the live concert and heard the recording of that concert, and then compare the recording to your memory of the concert, assuming your aural memory is 100% accurate. Another problem is what you're hearing as an audience member in a live concert is sound directly from the instrument plus what is captured through the mics/DI and reproduced through the PA system plus reverberations and frequency response changes caused by the acoustic, while what you hear in the recording is captured directly from the mics/DI and then further mixed and mastered, so differences will definitely be present. You do know that a lot of live concerts are recorded with close-mic-ing of the instrument, and that reverb is more likely to have been added in post, right? So, I believe, in the grand scheme of things, it's more efficient (to both the mind and body) to form your own internal frame of reference as to what sounds "good" to you (whether that means realistic, fun, bright, warm, or, in my case, somewhere in between all of that) and understand what qualities in an IEM can give you that. But, as always, YMMV :wink:

I agree with so many things!
It is perfectly legitimate if a person with a similar character is relevant to you.
If you have the same opinion on the sound of matching technical devices, then this is even better.

I also agree with the section on recording live music.

So go for SE5 ULT!

Ps: How do you know that SE5 ULT will win the race?:wink:

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #2,462 of 2,566
I agree with so many things!
It is perfectly legitimate if a person with a similar character is relevant to you.
If you have the same opinion on the sound of matching technical devices, then this is even better.

I also agree with the section on recording live music.

So go for SE5 ULT!

Ps: How do you know that SE5 ULT will win the race?:wink:

Uhh... I'm thinking about it, definitely, Plus, I never said it was going to win; I simply said it was on its way :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2,464 of 2,566
Have you been bribing Nic for inside information with funny tasting cake? ...it would explain Rick Astley. :D

It's just a feeling; it would be pretty anti-climactic for the SE5U to go all this way without taking the crown (as much as I'd like to see my XR win :D) And, as far as funny-tasting cakes are concerned, I'm not aware of any. I can, however, whip up a pretty sick chocolate souffle... For the next shoot-out :wink:

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,465 of 2,566
It's just a feeling; it would be pretty anti-climactic for the SE5U to go all this way without taking the crown (as much as I'd like to see my XR win :D)
It would be quite a feat if the SE5U would pull off another shootout win. Although I would be heartbroken because I can never have them (they won't fit my ears).

And, as far as funny-tasting cakes are concerned, I'm not aware of any. I can, however, whip up a pretty sick chocolate souffle... For the next shoot-out :wink:
Everyone loves chocolate! :D The special Dutch cake is more of an acquired taste I guess. :p

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,466 of 2,566
It would be quite a feat if the SE5U would pull off another shootout win. Although I would be heartbroken because I can never have them (they won't fit my ears).

Everyone loves chocolate! :D The special Dutch cake is more of an acquired taste I guess. :p

If there is indeed a phenomenon known as the "silicone sound", I'd certainly understand. My silicone-filled H8.2 and my silicone FIBAE 2 have this laid-back and put-together sound that's somewhere between expansive and engaging. Of course, that could simply be the Custom Art house sound, but based on reviews and impressions I've read, this seems to be the case with the SE5U. This should be an interesting next couple of weeks :wink:

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2,467 of 2,566
If there is indeed a phenomenon known as the "silicone sound", I'd certainly understand. My silicone-filled H8.2 and my silicone FIBAE 2 have this laid-back and put-together sound that's somewhere between expansive and engaging. Of course, that could simply be the Custom Art house sound, but based on reviews and impressions I've read, this seems to be the case with the SE5U. This should be an interesting next couple of weeks :wink:
I have no idea if there is an aspect of the material in it, but when I discussed my own preferences with Nic he mentioned the SE5U as a possible "end-game" contender for me. I read some of the reviews and it indeed seems to be just the sort of sound I like. Alas, I will have to be content with other people enjoying them. :wink:

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,468 of 2,566
I have no idea if there is an aspect of the material in it, but when I discussed my own preferences with Nic he mentioned the SE5U as a possible "end-game" contender for me. I read some of the reviews and it indeed seems to be just the sort of sound I like. Alas, I will have to be content with other people enjoying them. :wink:

Or... content with getting one of Spiral Ear's lower end models :wink:

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,469 of 2,566
As I've mentioned before in our "Usual Friday" thread that Nic's literature parallels that of the late Alan Greeenspan; whose mere words could influence the world's economy ....

Now look at what Nic's Shootout has done to this thread...

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,470 of 2,566
As I've mentioned before in our "Usual Friday" thread that Nic's literature parallels that of the late Alan Greeenspan; whose mere words could influence the world's economy ....

Now look at what Nic's Shootout has done to this thread...

Better yet, look at what Nic's Shootout has done to the CIEM enthusiast's economy :D

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,471 of 2,566
Hey guys, just a few words on my music preference. I only skimmed through the past 2 pages since I really should be writing the review on rank #2. However, procrastination on Head-Fi and Facebook is 80% of the process, so here we are.

Anyways, to clarify, I do not test the iems with electronic music or pop music. What I meant is that I listen to faster rock, pop, or EDM with the A18 specifically. It's because of its energetic sound based on its treble tuning, and I generally prefer a more bodied, warmer midrange for vocal- and instrument-based music.

I mostly listen to all sorts of rock, as well as easy-listening music like singer/songwriters as Neil Diamond, Paul Simon, and Leonard Cohen for instance. This would be 70% of my musical appetite. However, I also listen to EDM, pop, R&B, and hip-hop for instance, stemming from my more youthful years. I also mentioned this once on the thread. I would look for the post, but as mentioned, I really should be writing at the moment.

Back to the A18; in the same conversation I mentioned I don't personally listen to classical and jazz. However, I always listen to classical with every iem to get a sense of timbre. So my determination of midrange and treble tone mostly results from a combination of classical, easy listening, and contemporary rock (nothing too fast).

Carry on!

ps. Thanks for the nice words guys.

pps. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up = rickrolling (wiki, yes real link)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,472 of 2,566
Hey guys!

As most of you probably know, the SE5U is on it's way to attaining another #1 spot in an IEM shoot-out, this time being @flinkenick's Ranking The Stars. Because of this, interest in the SE5U has skyrocketed, especially among my friends and I here in South-East Asia. Since there are no demo units of the SE5U at all and the only people who have heard them are you guys (owners), I'd like to know if anyone here lives in the SEA region and is willing to arrange sort-of a meet-up or demo tour of some sort. My friends and I are mainly located in Singapore (personally, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, but I visit Singapore very frequently), and it'd be really cool if all of us could get somewhat of an idea of what this mysterious IEM sounds like, and maybe provide impressions (with disclaimers of course that our auditions were with force-fit units and therefore should be taken with a huge pile of salt *ahem* @Mimouille *ahem*) to those who are just as curious as we are. Now, I know that it'll be rather difficult trusting a bunch of strangers with a CIEM that you've purchased with your hard-earned money, but we are very open to discussion of how this meet-up/demo tour will be handled. I really appreciate any help I can get, cheers!

EDIT: I just received word from Calvin of Music Sanctuary, one of the biggest CIEM stores in the world, that he's willing to support the meet-up/tour should it come to fruition. I haven't really gone into specifics with him yet, but I'm guessing this means shipping, all auditioning/testing, and care of the product will be monitored and handled by MS. Thanks!

Regards,
Daniel
A couple considerations:
  • Size: The 5 bores require a user with rather large ear canals so they don't fit everyone. Grzegorz reviews each buyer's canal size before agreeing to make one.
  • Custom Only: Tell me if I am wrong, but so far, I have never heard of a universal or a demo SE5 - probably due to the size issue above. This will make it very difficult to audition unless your ear canals are very gynomous to allow an oversized custom SE5 to fit and get a good seal.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,473 of 2,566
A couple considerations:
  • Size: The 5 bores require a user with rather large ear canals so they don't fit everyone. Grzegorz reviews each buyer's canal size before agreeing to make one.
  • Custom Only: Tell me if I am wrong, but so far, I have never heard of a universal or a demo SE5 - probably due to the size issue above. This will make it very difficult to audition unless your ear canals are very gynomous to allow an oversized custom SE5 to fit and get a good seal.

Yes, I am fully aware of both these points, which is why I'm asking if anyone in SEA is willing to either conduct a meet-up or lend us their unit for us to force-fit, in the absence of demo units. Size shouldn't be a problem considering my ear canals are generally always too large whenever I force-fit anyone else's CIEM, and a friend of mine who had long ago successfully force-fit someone else's SE5U has smaller ear canals than I do.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,474 of 2,566
They are silicones so has that flexability to try someone else's compared to hard acrylics. But also at the same time, since the material easily squeezable, chances are bores can be narrowed with the imprecise fits.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #2,475 of 2,566
They are silicones so has that flexability to try someone else's compared to hard acrylics. But also at the same time, since the material easily squeezable, chances are bores can be narrowed with the imprecise fits.

Based on my experience with my silicone CIEM, though, they might be a challenge to insert at first. I don't know if the bores would get deformed in force fits; although the silicone is soft, the plastic used to make the sound tubes aren't as flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back