[REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro
Apr 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #106 of 183
Maybe he just enjoys the smartphone's touch screen control and software; easier to create playlists, apply things like sw crossfeed, etc. Having easily accessed music storage off board for smartphones is already possible in a number of ways tho...

The more expensive and bulky yet universal solution is one of those portable wifi-connected hard drives that allow smartphone access thru an app (over direct or shared wifi). There'd a few dozen models, they'll work with Android, iOS, PCs, etc.

A cheaper but potentially more convenient (and decidedly more compact) solution for recent Android phones would be a 3-6" USB OTG cable with one of those thumbnail sized USB microSD readers attached at the end (the kind that only stick out like 5mm from a USB port). Costs like $5 altogether + the cost of the card (64GB is down to what, $30?) and acts just like internal storage if you get a fast card.

I'm surprised that kinda thing isn't more common already considering almost everyone is ditching removable storage yet USB OTG is now commonplace amongst recent phones, it's just like using a flash drive on a PC, almost sidesteps the issue altogether.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #107 of 183
Quote:

Just a heads-up for those who're wondering about the HTC BH S600, I received it two days ago and it's going back where it came from. Tried it with several earpieces, and paired with my SGS3 the sound quality is a clear step down from the MW1 / HS3000 and significantly worse than a wired connection. Apparently ClieOS is right when he says that aptX alone doesn't guarantee great sound quality. Too bad, cause I actually liked its form factor and minimalist design very much.

Well that was bad start for HTC. Yes I agreed too, aptX doesn't guarantee good sound quality, but the one applying on Samsung HS3000 indeed very good & clean, except for the bass and lower output current. Too bad we wasn't given many models too choose from.

I've came across i.Tech ClipMusic 808 develop news some time last year, strange it wasn't even in i.Tech 2013 line up as of today. Wondering what went wrong with it. The last Stereo bluetooth ClipMusic 803 from them was actually quite good, only to let down to frequently disconnect from Samsung Galaxy Tab, S, S2 and Note 1. It having built-in FM-Stereo and 2GB memory for MP3, the same functionality like Sony MW1 and price almost the same. It did have a upper over Sony, it was having a better mic with noice cancellation feature. Sound quality wise, it was not better than Sony MW600, under the audition with my old Sony EX500SL. Too bad I've gave it away to my friend as he's having bluetooth connection problem with his black MW600 and iphone 4s. It is the same connection problem like my white MW600 are having with my Samsung Galaxy devices. Think most Sony stereo bluetooth wasn't that stable or maybe they only suited for Sony mobile device only?

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #109 of 183
Quote:
I haven't had any connection issues with my MW600 and HTC phone, haven't tried it with my iPod touch... The range isn't great but that isn't an issue for my use.

Great to know it was ok with htc phone. Many Singapore users was not that lucky.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #110 of 183
Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking of how to navigate 60+ GB of music on a 2 line screen would not be the most comfortable. My music collection would easily span more than 64gb and as I'm planning on getting a HTC One, coming from an iphone 4 32gb, I can't upgrade storage (its the 64gb dev edition but thats still not enough as I carry a huge amount of synced documentation via evernote, dropbox etc). As another poster commented there are the new 1tb Seagate Wireless Plus drives available but if I'm not carrying a briefcase its not going to work out. FWP to be honest though.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #111 of 183
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking of how to navigate 60+ GB of music on a 2 line screen would not be the most comfortable. My music collection would easily span more than 64gb and as I'm planning on getting a HTC One, coming from an iphone 4 32gb, I can't upgrade storage (its the 64gb dev edition but thats still not enough as I carry a huge amount of synced documentation via evernote, dropbox etc). As another poster commented there are the new 1tb Seagate Wireless Plus drives available but if I'm not carrying a briefcase its not going to work out. FWP to be honest though.

You have a point there, but you forget that MW1 only take 32GB of TF card max - even that, I won't want to carry more than a few GB at a times as you have pointed out, navigation will be difficult even though everything is organized by their ID3tag (album, tracks, artist and playlist support). Personally, I don't think putting the whole music collection into smartphone is practical. Streaming is really the only solution. In fact, I have Plex setup on my PC to stream media to my Xperia TX. Of course, this will eat into your data plan if you don't have unlimited access.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #112 of 183
Quote:

You have a point there, but you forget that MW1 only take 32GB of TF card max - even that, I won't want to carry more than a few GB at a times as you have pointed out, navigation will be difficult even though everything is organized by their ID3tag (album, tracks, artist and playlist support). Personally, I don't think putting the whole music collection into smartphone is practical. Streaming is really the only solution. In fact, I have Plex setup on my PC to stream media to my Xperia TX. Of course, this will eat into your data plan if you don't have unlimited access.

I may try to add a bluetooth adapter to my little used ipod classic instead. Regards the TF capacity (and I know there is little else but this guys word) someone in the comments section of this review says he's using a 64gb card. http://lesterchan.net/blog/2012/09/07/sony-mw1-smart-wireless-headset-pro-review/

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #113 of 183
If you format a 64GB TF (must be a SDXC, default in exFAT) into FAT32 (which is what SDHC uses), most devices will read it. The big problem is whether it will read pass the first 32GB (most do, some don't). I actually have a 64GB TF card, but didn't bother to try.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #114 of 183
USB OTG cable + micro reader IMO, if you're sitting down anywhere you need that large a collection then the little cable hanging from the One isn't a big deal, and you can always transfer stuff back and forth between phone and the little external reader... Those cables/readers are small enough to fit on a keychain.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #115 of 183
Quote:
USB OTG cable + micro reader IMO, if you're sitting down anywhere you need that large a collection then the little cable hanging from the One isn't a big deal, and you can always transfer stuff back and forth between phone and the little external reader... Those cables/readers are small enough to fit on a keychain.

I've gone a slightly different route, getting one of these - Quite funnily, where my OTG cable is short, and quite rigid, and where the USB port is on the One, it ends up looking like a little TV aerial ;o)

...It is funny how quickly things change, was running the MW1 with the Xperia Z, but now the One is my main device, I'm just using the headphone out...  

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #116 of 183
Nice! In practice it's pretty much the same thing I was suggesting, there's micro readers that are exactly the same size as that and the microSD card is actually slipped in from the port side (into the half that would usually be solid plastic)... This is the one I've been carrying for a while now, just because I always have spare cards. I drilled a hole on the lid for the short keychain loop as one of the reviewers cleverly suggested.

I've yet to jump to a phone without expandable storage but when I upgrade my HTC EVO LTE I probably won't think twice about it thanks to USB OTG. With microSD cards getting shoved underneath battery doors over the last couple of years the versatility was mostly killed anyway. Thru the last three phones I've only jumped to a larger card once while still owning the phone, and I pretty much never take them out unless I'm rooting the phone or something because it's too annoying taking the case off etc. Same reason I rarely battery swapped even when I had extras...

Isn't the One's USB port on the bottom? You went with a straight OTG cable I guess? I'd love to find one that's just ridiculously short, like no cable at all, just the micro plug straight into a female A port... Combined with one of these small drives/readers it'd literally be like having a phone thumbdrive. :p

Do you actually prefer the One's hp-out to the MW1? I haven't read a lot of reviews but I've yet to see anyone comment on the supposed custom amp even tho it was one of HTC's PR bullet points. Even Anandtech didn't, I think, and their phone reviews are easily the most exhaustive.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #117 of 183
Hello, I'm New here

1st of All thank you ClieOS, for reviewing Sony MW1, and I just bought it, but i have some problems with the MW1, Im using Xperia SL, when im playing games theres a sound delay of a sec, i dont know what's the problem, but calls, music if fine. 

Xperia SL have bluetooth 3.0 btw, and MW1 have the latest software.

Thanks in advance

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #118 of 183
If you are using firmware E, then it might be a tab slow. Try revert back to firmware D using the SUS.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #119 of 183
Impulse...

That is a clever little adapter, probably handier than my approach... will look out for one (cannot see one on Amazon.co.uk from my first look...)

The cable I have isn't straight, but - it is (despite the image shown on the link) short, and rigid, and - where, like you say the One's USB is on the bottom, when held in landscape, that is when the little setup looks like a TV aerial lol

Re the One (M7) headphone out, I find it very accomplished, a little shouty maybe (not abrasive though, not the same thing, just - not a relaxed listen), but - good nonetheless - a great match (even if only to my ears) to the Sony XBA4...

It definitely sounds better than the MW1, which has treble distortion from time to time, but - that doesn't mean the MW1 is a bad product, still definitely has its uses :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #120 of 183
Quote:
If you are using firmware E, then it might be a tab slow. Try revert back to firmware D using the SUS.

I had to add a delay of -0,35 seconds on BS Player, although when I had the iPhone, it seemed to keep synced well...

Guess it could be an android thing?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back