[REVIEW] Sony MW1 - Smart Wireless Headset pro
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #181 of 183
Hi,
do you have any recommendation to replace MW1? The battery started to fail in mine, thinking about replacing it, but would like to see current alternatives as well. BT headset for standard earphones, SD card (or internal memory) functionality is what I prefer to see.

I went looking for alternatives to my aging Sony MW600 earlier this year, A&K has a similar BT adapter that stood out as did some of Audio-Technica's (hard to find in the US tho)... I dunno what the heck Sony is doing with theirs, the newest models I'd seen as the time didn't even have LDAC which is their own (highly touted) codec! At least they had one with USB-C but eh...

I ended up buying the Fiio BTR1 and the EarStudio ES100, Fiio has since come out with a higher end BTR3 (tho battery life and signal issues would give me pause) and a lower end micro BTR (looks like a good value). The BTR1 is alright, a little heavy but it supports AptX-LL as does a little MEE transmitter I have, so I'm using the combo for watching TV (w/OPPO PM-3).

The ES100 is amazing, I was initially apprehensive about the price ($99) but it's easily vindicated itself. Firmware updates and support from EarStudio have been exemplary, they've added a bunch of features along the way including LDAC support and other user requested stuff. The unit sounds great, easily better than my phones or dongles, and I appreciate the balanced out option.

I've not posted on Head Fi in a while but the ES100 thread is a treasure trove of info about the product and BT audio in general. FWIW I actually bought the thing on a whim when I found it on Amazon and saw the nice technical docs they have on their site, then read thru the thread later.

BT has finally gotten to a place where I don't see it as a step down for mobile use, and I still prefer using these kinda easily replaceable adapters with a short cable and my IEM or on-ears than carrying a DAC or buying BT headphones with a limited shelf life.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #183 of 183
What about the build quality of this es100?
It's too bad it doesn't have an sd card slot, and my other contender, shanling m0 doesn't have a mic...

Heh I was gonna mention the m0 and forgot... I don't really mind the plasticky build of the ES100 at all tbh, makes it pretty light and it's not like it looks bad or anything. I like the subdued LED ring light too (and they even made it so we can turn it off or switch it to all white), and the clip feels pretty solidly attached (if not the most grippy, you can tuck some Velcro in it for added grip tho).

I'd rather they go plastic and keep up their level of firmware support, great signal strength, great battery life etc. than sacrifice any of that for a heavier metal case or a pricier glass one; not that they have to be mutually exclusive but that's how it broke down across a few different models tbh. Some people have commented the ES100 buttons are hard to differentiate but I got used to them pretty quick since I usually clip it on in the same direction.

I can usually handle playback control from my watch as well anyway, so I just touch the ES100 for volume. The A&K's buttons looked even worse as far as operating it blind goes... There's a GET Bluewave or something like that with a nifty volume wheel but that had a downside IIRC (I think it turned too easily) and it didn't seem to work as well with sensitive IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back