[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,596 of 3,824
  I've been listening to these for a couple weeks now and I can't believe how good they sound. The clarity, detail and smoothness make it so that you just melt into the music. It's so non-fatiguing and enjoyable. I'm very happy with them and I just want to thank head-fi for leading me to them.

Oh btw, I bought the following adapter/converter from an ebay seller and it works great and has nearly the same exact flat cable as the MH1 so it looks like it was made for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Phone-Headset-Smart-Converter-Adapter-For-iPhone-Moto-to-Nokia-HTC-Samsung-/121136254602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c34488e8a

Quick question to everyone in this thread, if I was to replace the input jack on the MH1 with the input jack on the above adapter, would this fix the problem? I am thinking about cutting off and rewiring it to the MH1 wire. I just like to have a clean look rather than bunch of sections connecting to each other.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,597 of 3,824
  Quick question to everyone in this thread, if I was to replace the input jack on the MH1 with the input jack on the above adapter, would this fix the problem? I am thinking about cutting off and rewiring it to the MH1 wire. I just like to have a clean look rather than bunch of sections connecting to each other.

Of course it would, it's just wires and a jack
smily_headphones1.gif
  The only hard part might be finding out which of the 4 wires is for the remote/mic if the wires are covered in any insulation that needs burning off - I'll leave that for someone who's recabled some to answer.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,599 of 3,824
Quote:

Might not be a driver issue. I bought an MH1 and within a couple of days both sides went really quiet. Tried the hairdryer etc and finally gave up on them. Then, many months later, about week ago, I tried them again but they were still the same. Tried a recable - still the same. Disappointment! Frustration! ... Brainwave! ... tried lifting (slightly) one edge of the small filter in front of the iem ... and Voila!!! .... sound, GLORIOUS SOUND!!! Still using them with the filters slightly lifted and they sound great. But they're probably a bit coloured coz the filters aren't (really) doing what they're meant to - still need to figure out what to do about the filters - any ideas, anyone? Meanwhile I've ordered another pair from the same ebay seller you got yours from! ... fingers and toes crossed! Hoping this is the same problem you and others have been having with one side going quiet.

So, my filters seem to be faulty .. Has any one tried experimenting with different filters/filter-materials? I can't really understand why they'd suddenly stop sound getting through ... the glue on them melted??? These are the ones with the white dot in the black circle. Wonder if the problems some of you have had with the sound going low is related to the filters too, and in particular, to this type of filter?  I've tried them without the filters (both with the foam still in, and the foam out) but they get a bit too bright and the highs loose their smoothness. Any ideas would be much appreciated : )

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,600 of 3,824
I'm actually thinking of using my TF10 connector on the MH1 and then use some putty to blend them together.
This:

On this:

My question: is it possible to use some acrylic or enamel based paint (used on plastic models) to cover the exposed wires instead of using electrical tape or heat shrink to prevent the copper wire and the left/right wire from touching one another. And would it affect the quality of the sound?

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,601 of 3,824
Can I suggest you use Sugru for the mod?  It's like plasticine that turns to rubber so very easy to use, and it's non conductive so you can stick it straight on/around the wires without needing to paint them.  As long as whatever you use is non conductive the sound will be unaffected so if your paint makes this claim that would work too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2,602 of 3,824
Hey dudes,
since my MH1's turned to be faulty I ordered 2 other sets of IEMS
Brainwavz Delta and Sencor Imperial IP100M
The Sencor Just arrived.Awesome build quality.
The best 10$ sound I ever heard :)
Out of the box they have a bit less detail than the MH1's
However the general sound signature is very similar.
The mids and the highs have almost the same tuning.
They have more bass and mid bass than MH1 .The sub bass is the same.

Here are some photos:

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #2,603 of 3,824
  Hey dudes,
since my MH1's turned to be faulty I ordered 2 other sets of IEMS
Brainwavz Delta and Sencor Imperial IP100M
The Sencor Just arrived.Awesome build quality.
The best 10$ sound I ever heard :)
Out of the box they have a bit less detail than the MH1's
However the general sound signature is very similar.
The mids and the highs have almost the same tuning.
They have more bass and mid bass than MH1 .The sub bass is the same.

Hey buddy, where did you get those Imperials from? They look like a great Christmas gift...

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2,604 of 3,824
Hey buddy, where did you get those Imperials from? They look like a great Christmas gift...

Well, I am from Bulgaria and I got them from a bulgarian online store.
I never heard of that brand before but they looked interesting so I decided to get them.
It seems that their products should be available everywhere in Europe.
They have other interesting looking models including in-ears and over-ears.
BTW I received my Brainwavz Delta.
If the deltas are really neutral then these have a 12 db bass boost over them and should be considered basshead.
They also are also extremely easy to drive (at 4 volume dots left on my iPad I can't stand the volume)

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,605 of 3,824
Nov 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,606 of 3,824
Just a silly (maybe) question: doesn't the "microphonic" cable drive you mad?
!!
I mean: each time I touch it or it just rubs agains my shirt, it reverberates through the iems!!!!
drives me insane

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,607 of 3,824
  Just a silly (maybe) question: doesn't the "microphonic" cable drive you mad?
!!
I mean: each time I touch it or it just rubs agains my shirt, it reverberates through the iems!!!!
drives me insane

It can.  Try wearing the cord behind your neck and clip the shirt clip so there is a bit of slack above the clip.  Have the clip on the cable so it's around your shoulder, just a bit lower.  That works great for me.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,608 of 3,824
Please forgive me my tresspass in not reading this entire thread. 

These headphones are both on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-MH1-BL-LiveSound-Headset/dp/B005GDVBAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384709419&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mh1c

and

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-MH1-WO-LiveSound-Headset/dp/B005GDVB6S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384709419&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+mh1c

I have an iphone 4. Are these the ones to get? If not, is there an adapter also on amazon that I can get to make these the ones to get?

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,609 of 3,824
  Please forgive me my tresspass in not reading this entire thread. 

These headphones are both on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-MH1-BL-LiveSound-Headset/dp/B005GDVBAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384709419&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mh1c

and

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-MH1-WO-LiveSound-Headset/dp/B005GDVB6S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384709419&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+mh1c

I have an iphone 4. Are these the ones to get? If not, is there an adapter also on amazon that I can get to make these the ones to get?

These two are the same - both MH1C (the other option is the MH1)

Neither versions buttons will work with the iphone as they are made for Android (MH1C) and Sony's old phone OS (MH1).  You might be able to get them to work just as headphones with a 3 pin adaptor, or a recable/plug mod as discussed a couple of pages back, but as they come they don't play nicely at all - the volume jumps about randomly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back