[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,581 of 3,824
  First attempt at recabling the MH1s. Didn't remember to take photos until I'd already done the housing terminations.

1) I used a craft knife to cut the rubber strain relief away from the side facing the ear so I could get at the terminations. If there's a proper way to remove the strain relief I'd be happy to know since I want to recable my other pair with silver wire in the new year.

2) Solder your new wires on. I used 26 AWG OCC 7N copper wire from toxic cables. Remember to label the ground and the signal wires.

3) I put the strain relief back on, then added a length of memory wire held on with heatshrink.

4) I planned to keep things simple with a 3 strand cable so I soldered the ground wire together I also twisted the wire around each other to stop them splitting.

5) At this point I decided how long to make the rest of the cable, then doubled it when I cut the wire so I could account for the loss of length from braiding. Label your wires at both ends.

6) Braid dem wires, I use masking tape to hold the braid together until I finish assembling the cable.

7) Finish up the soldering to the right, left and ground channels.

8) Use heatshrink to isolate the channel electrically, then a larger piece to hold them all together. Epoxy putty is another option.

9) Same for the 3.5mm jack. I've used a Neutrik 3.5mm straight jack since I gave about 15 of them in a drawer.

10) Look at your fancy new cable and listen to your improved MH1s.

Maybe I missed something, but did you explain how you got the ear guides to stay formed?

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,582 of 3,824

Maybe I missed something, but did you explain how you got the ear guides to stay formed?

"3) I put the strain relief back on, then added a length of memory wire held on with heatshrink."

I guess he salvaged the wire used in a broken cable, but any solid core wire would work - you could use a thin paperclip 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2,583 of 3,824

"3) I put the strain relief back on, then added a length of memory wire held on with heatshrink."

I guess he salvaged the wire used in a broken cable, but any solid core wire would work - you could use a thin paperclip 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, i didn't know what he meant by "memory wire".  So basically anything metal wire that holds a shape?  Route it along the cable and bend it to shape then heat shrink it down?

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,584 of 3,824

Oh, i didn't know what he meant by "memory wire".  So basically anything metal wire that holds a shape?  Route it along the cable and bend it to shape then heat shrink it down?

Memory is usually TiNickel and after forming the shape you want and heating it to temp it retains the shape no matter how much you bend or twist it.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,585 of 3,824
Quote:

Memory is usually TiNickel and after forming the shape you want and heating it to temp it retains the shape no matter how much you bend or twist it.

Oh right, didn't realise there's a posh version!  The wire in the TF10 stock cables I've destroyed was paperclip-like and I can see a similar wire in my Teds Headfood cable, Heir Magnus 1 and the clear ASG stock cable. The only cable I've had with a pre-formed bend was the whiplash hybrid and that was less comfortable as it was bent too soon after the connector for the ear/IEM pairing I was using (this wont be a problem on a fixed recable, unless you lend/sell them to someone else...)

Yup.  Feel free to try and find the stuff Hutnicks mentioned but at the end of the day it just has to be stiff enough to stay round your ear and not so thick as to cause discomfort.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,586 of 3,824
  Quote:
Oh right, didn't realise there's a posh version!  The wire in the TF10 stock cables I've destroyed was paperclip-like and I can see a similar wire in my Teds Headfood cable, Heir Magnus 1 and the clear ASG stock cable. The only cable I've had with a pre-formed bend was the whiplash hybrid and that was less comfortable as it was bent too soon after the connector for the ear/IEM pairing I was using (this wont be a problem on a fixed recable, unless you lend/sell them to someone else...)

Yup.  Feel free to try and find the stuff Hutnicks mentioned but at the end of the day it just has to be stiff enough to stay round your ear and not so thick as to cause discomfort.

Its magick...............http://www.imagesco.com/nitinol/files/nitimm.pdf
Worth a look. Could be the next big audiophool thingy. What better to complement custom earmolds than an ear clip out of exoctic metal shaped to your own head. The possibilities are endless
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,587 of 3,824
楼主放毒真是牛逼……放到我都想买了(it is frequently for the host to possess the outrageous critics...and it is also very frequently in China...after looking at the article,I would like to have a MH1...i really hope it can definitely fit my ear...)

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #2,588 of 3,824

Its magick...............http://www.imagesco.com/nitinol/files/nitimm.pdf
Worth a look. Could be the next big audiophool thingy. What better to complement custom earmolds than an ear clip out of exoctic metal shaped to your own head. The possibilities are endless
biggrin.gif

Nevermind audiophools and their custom shaped headbands and earhooks surely there's a use for this stuff as a temperature dependant switch, or a reusable fuse... I wonder how conductive it is and how keen it is to return to it's original shape...  The possibilities are indeed endless!

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,592 of 3,824

You could buy a new one for $20. :p. Otherwise, if my recable goes well might be willing to do another...

Yeah but you know, everybody hates the stock cable :p
Let me know if your up for the task :) 

I'll know in a few days once I have my new soldering iron.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,593 of 3,824
 Originally Posted by alexander321
Hi. I just got my MH1's. (cause they are compatible with my nokia 808) They sound really good , but there is one problem which bothers me really. After a few minutes of listening the left bud (with the remote) starts to get quieter and quieter. Is my pair faulty ? Can I solve the issue without recabling ? Also they have more sub bass and less mids than my XB500 ? 

Might not be a driver issue. I bought an MH1 and within a couple of days both sides went really quiet. Tried the hairdryer etc and finally gave up on them. Then, many months later, about week ago, I tried them again but they were still the same. Tried a recable - still the same. Disappointment! Frustration! ... Brainwave! ... tried lifting (slightly) one edge of the small filter in front of the iem ... and Voila!!! .... sound, GLORIOUS SOUND!!! Still using them with the filters slightly lifted and they sound great. But they're probably a bit coloured coz the filters aren't (really) doing what they're meant to - still need to figure out what to do about the filters - any ideas, anyone? Meanwhile I've ordered another pair from the same ebay seller you got yours from! ... fingers and toes crossed! Hoping this is the same problem you and others have been having with one side going quiet.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,594 of 3,824

Originally Posted by alexander321
Hi. I just got my MH1's. (cause they are compatible with my nokia 808) They sound really good , but there is one problem which bothers me really. After a few minutes of listening the left bud (with the remote) starts to get quieter and quieter. Is my pair faulty ? Can I solve the issue without recabling ? Also they have more sub bass and less mids than my XB500 ? 

Might not be a driver issue. I bought an MH1 and within a couple of days both sides went really quiet. Tried the hairdryer etc and finally gave up on them. Then, many months later, about week ago, I tried them again but they were still the same. Tried a recable - still the same. Disappointment! Frustration! ... Brainwave! ... tried lifting (slightly) one edge of the small filter in front of the iem ... and Voila!!! .... sound, GLORIOUS SOUND!!! Still using them with the filters slightly lifted and they sound great. But they're probably a bit coloured coz the filters aren't (really) doing what they're meant to - still need to figure out what to do about the filters - any ideas, anyone? Meanwhile I've ordered another pair from the same ebay seller you got yours from! ... fingers and toes crossed! Hoping this is the same problem you and others have been having with one side going quiet.

Crap, if people keep buying them from that seller there won't be any extras left for me to mod. haha :wink:

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,595 of 3,824
I've been listening to these for a couple weeks now and I can't believe how good they sound. The clarity, detail and smoothness make it so that you just melt into the music. It's so non-fatiguing and enjoyable. I'm very happy with them and I just want to thank head-fi for leading me to them.

Oh btw, I bought the following adapter/converter from an ebay seller and it works great and has nearly the same exact flat cable as the MH1 so it looks like it was made for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Phone-Headset-Smart-Converter-Adapter-For-iPhone-Moto-to-Nokia-HTC-Samsung-/121136254602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c34488e8a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back