[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,522 of 3,824
Sorry if it has been posted before (I'm sure it has....
redface.gif
) but
-does this specific model require an adapter/connector for a "normal" dap (ie ipod 5th gen video)
-what about the need for a connector when paired with iphone?

Thanks!!

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2,523 of 3,824
redface.gif
) but
-does this specific model require an adapter/connector for a "normal" dap (ie ipod 5th gen video)

Thanks!!

needs connector with iphone, not with ipod. Basically any product that supports microphone head sets (eg a phone) needs an adapter.

cheapest adapter for 1$ here, I bought one, haven't received yet, will report back:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Male-to-Female-3-5mm-Headset-Phone-Convert-Adapter-For-iPhone-HTC-Samsung-Nokia-/271255134690?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3f2810e1e2&_uhb=1

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,524 of 3,824

redface.gif
) but

Thanks!!

needs connector with iphone, not with ipod. Basically any product that supports microphone head sets (eg a phone) needs an adapter.

cheapest adapter for 1$ here, I bought one, haven't received yet, will report back:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Male-to-Female-3-5mm-Headset-Phone-Convert-Adapter-For-iPhone-HTC-Samsung-Nokia-/271255134690?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3f2810e1e2&_uhb=1

Holy poop batman!  I was NOT expecting this much quality from these things.  Granted I've listened for about 1 minute.  But still, they are much less bassy than I expected (mh1 model).

Unfortunately, they do not work plugged directly into any of my 3.5mm devices.  I need to use a 1/4" adapter into my sound interface to hear the sound properly.  I'm thinking a small extension type 3.5 cable might fix the other devices?  I assume it's not a matter of pin layout, since the sound interface works?  But rather the contacting?

UPDATE:  I have a feeling this might be the best $20 I've ever spent on audio gear.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,525 of 3,824

redface.gif
) but

Thanks!!

Holy poop batman!  I was NOT expecting this much quality from these things.  Granted I've listened for about 1 minute.  But still, they are much less bassy than I expected (mh1 model).

Unfortunately, they do not work plugged directly into any of my 3.5mm devices.  I need to use a 1/4" adapter into my sound interface to hear the sound properly.  I'm thinking a small extension type 3.5 cable might fix the other devices?  I assume it's not a matter of pin layout, since the sound interface works?  But rather the contacting?

Also, this doesn't work with the C5 JDS amp...  don't see why?

UPDATE:

I tried them with this:

and they work fine.  I'll have to grab a single extender.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,529 of 3,824

UPDATE:  I have a feeling this might be the best $20 I've ever spent on audio gear.

Simply bridge the mic and gnd contacts on the minijack

I scratched away the black insulation between the 2 and filled with solder then buffed with very fine emery paper...works like a charm in all my devices now

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2,531 of 3,824
..........."Simply bridge the mic and gnd contacts on the minijack

I scratched away the black insulation between the 2 and filled with solder then buffed with very fine emery paper...works like a charm in all my devices now"

Guido i didn't really get it at all!!:o:o
Sorry.....you couldn't post a drawing of what you did?

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,532 of 3,824
Guido i didn't really get it at all!!
redface.gif
:xf_eek:

Here is a standard 3 pin and a 4 pin connector - the difference is the extra band (see red arrow). 

All you need to do is scratch out the black ring and fill the gap with solder to connect the two sections, then smooth it down so it doesn't stick out.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #2,533 of 3,824

Guido i didn't really get it at all!!
redface.gif
:xf_eek:

Here is a standard 3 pin and a 4 pin connector - the difference is the extra band (see red arrow). 

All you need to do is scratch out the black ring and fill the gap with solder to connect the two sections, then smooth it down so it doesn't stick out.

I'm a DIY kinda guy, but I would hate to ruin these since I got them for $20 and would have to spend more to get them again. :p  Sounds easy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back