[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 26, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2,507 of 3,824
  The Sony MH1c seems to have been retired, and I can't find it even on Ebay India!

You are not missing very much tbh. I guess they sound ok for the price but after you have listened to decent mid range iems such a TF10's etc, you'll agree that there is nothing really very special about them at all.

Guys, with the amount you spend during your search for a giant killing budget iem you'd be much better off just splashing out and buying a decent pair in the first place.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2,508 of 3,824

You are not missing very much tbh. I guess they sound ok for the price but after you have listened to decent mid range iems such a TF10's etc, you'll agree that there is nothing really very special about them at all.

Guys, with the amount you spend during your search for a giant killing budget iem you'd be much better off just splashing out and buying a decent pair in the first place.

This.
"buy it once, buy it right."

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #2,509 of 3,824
Personally I feel the MH1's are unbeatable value, for $15 they punch above their price significantly and compete with earphones of mine in the $50-$80 range. Sure a $150 earphone will be better, the whole point of the MH1 for me is I get great sound and I don't worry about destroying them as they are so cheap, plus they are damn hard to destroy anyway, even compared to earphones hundreds of dollars more. Also MH1 have decent isolation and are very portable. MH1 are king of value at $15, nuff said :)

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,511 of 3,824

This is headfi. When did buy it once ever apply.... :wink:

Well, what I'm trying to say is better buy something extremely good and not regret it rather than buying many normal-good IEMs then ended up wanting to buy something better.
But hey, different IEMs have different signature, so as long as you like it, then it's money well spent.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,513 of 3,824
I was using poweramp player with my Z1 and couldn't get the sound I wanted from the MH1 so I installed neutron player and it is by far the best sound I've ever heard, poweramp worked well with my Sennheiser CX 300 but I just couldn't get the same response, MH1 just purchased 2 days ago, I would highly recommend this setup

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,514 of 3,824
I haven't been on this site for a while after finding my favorite combo .. Fiio E9/E10, Shure940 and Yuin OK2. I like to hear my female vocals and I find this combo has been very good and perfect for want I like.

last week I was just browsing and came onto this thread and just could not resist the $15 temptation :) and ordered one straight away. I'm in Sydney and I bought them on ebay for $15 from England and arrived in just 3 days!

I really wasn't expecting too much and I usually won't like IEMs. By the way I got the MH1 not the C .. and I have a converter plug coming so a the moment I'm just using the clip to hold down the button. As long as it works and plays music on the iphone4 I'm happy .. don't need all those buttons.

no burn in yet but just my initial impression:
On the iphone by itself ... it wasn't too special but the sound is very smooth. a bit boomy bottom and I think it overrides the mids. hoping burn in will tighten it a bit. (correction: I changed to a the smaller green tip .. for some reason it changed the sound a lot ... no more boom but forward without any sibilance and just so clear it's very nice) ..vocals are now perfect.

On the E10 it is a different animal!  - much more separation, vocals are more forward and stands out nicely and still very smooth.

E10/E9 combo - even better with even more crisp and standout vocals. The main thing I care about is how clear and smooth vocals are and they certainly stand out nicely and very smooth and enjoyable. I will say these certainly is helped by a DAC and Amping. 

I really like testing new phones with Avril Lavign AOL live session as they're super clear and her voice stands out so much in those ... you can find them on youtube and they sounds amazing.

so all in all ... extremely happy and no way can this be beat for $15. I don't even think the cable is bad at all like most people say .. I find it just a cable and it just does what it does .. the tips are comfy and you get so many pairs with the phones. I'm sure just buying those tips themselves will be more then the $15.

I think what these add to the shures and yuin ok2 is the just right amount of bass to the mix. The Sonys certainly don't lack bass but it also manages to separate out mids/vocals really nicely without intruding onto them while being super smooth.  I'm very impressed at how clear these sound. I've tried many many iems with prices costing 10 times as much and I have not found any that are this clean and smooth for vocals and never found any that I really want to spend money on. I'm used to nice stand out female vocals that the shures940 and yuins give and these certainly compare well. These could turn into my favorite phones. I better buy another pair for spares.

I will report back when they have burnt in for a day or 2 and see if they've changed on the iphone.

just go buy one :)

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2,515 of 3,824

Well, what I'm trying to say is better buy something extremely good and not regret it rather than buying many normal-good IEMs then ended up wanting to buy something better.
But hey, different IEMs have different signature, so as long as you like it, then it's money well spent.

A good chunk of these types of threads is trying new things, not looking for the "giant killer" IEM.  I have a set of extremely good in-ears that I use for critical listening (Monster Gratitudes) but it's fun to try new, cheap or interesting headphones.  I found the headphones I use for working out (Moxpad x3) that way.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,516 of 3,824
I like these so much I've just order 2 more set .. one for my desktop setup, one for the bedroom and one for taking out.
It has much much better soundstage than my Yuin ok2 (more in-head sound) and much fuller sound then the Yuin PK3 ... 

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,517 of 3,824
If someone is offering an mh1 for $20 should i take it?  I love the er4s as a point of reference, but I don't mind more bass.  In fact I add a little sub bass on the er4s with eq to really flatten out the response.  pfe112 is another I like.  The reviews seem to say this is an awesome earphone, and I'm looking for something to replace my pfe112 as a secondary earphone that is more comfortable with less distortion...

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,519 of 3,824
  Also, I think it is omtp.  If i don't care about the controls would that work with any headphone out for just sound?  I assume so?

It should work with most 3-pin stereo out. If not, you can get an adapter online for a few dollars.

These are nice and you don't have to insert as deep as the ER4S, but the bass might be a bit overwhelming in comparison. You'll probably have to turn it down.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,520 of 3,824

Also, I think it is omtp.  If i don't care about the controls would that work with any headphone out for just sound?  I assume so?

It should work with most 3-pin stereo out. If not, you can get an adapter online for a few dollars.

These are nice and you don't have to insert as deep as the ER4S, but the bass might be a bit overwhelming in comparison. You'll probably have to turn it down.

For $20 i figure it's worth a listen...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back