[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,396 of 3,824
No it will not. Actually DON'T touch the buttons with an iDevice!
I use an iPhone and none of the buttons work. Instead the middle button (Play/Pause) jumped to max volume! Luckily I had the volume limiter enabled or my ears'd be ringing now.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,398 of 3,824
Dont worry they are offering at a lower price on their other amazon listing for £114.90 + 3.95.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008BRAQJO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I guess they must have read about the hype on these bad boys.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,400 of 3,824
Quote:
The Play/Pause button works alright on my 4th gen iPod Touch and iPhone 4.

How about the mic? 

Quote:
No it will not. Actually DON'T touch the buttons with an iDevice!
I use an iPhone and none of the buttons work. Instead the middle button (Play/Pause) jumped to max volume! Luckily I had the volume limiter enabled or my ears'd be ringing now.

What iPhone are you using?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,401 of 3,824
Received mine today. Really like it, especially the bass. Soundstage is a bit small, maybe it will be improved with burn-in? Who knows. But what the hell is up with the volume of these? I have to turn the volume all the way up. With my other IEMs it's usually just half way, about 50-60% of the volume slider on my phone.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,403 of 3,824
Quote:
Yeah they need more juice than most of my other 'phones. I find the soundstage to be pretty big though.

Do they really need more "juice"? I think they have just low volumes. Or they need as much juice as full sized headphones...which is/would be kinda ridiculous. I never had any other IEMs that would need me to turn the volume all the way up, only for headphones without the use of an amp. Probably wouldn't have gotten it if I knew beforehand. About the soundstage, I feel they are smaller than the GR06 and Pro Alphas or maybe they are less airy than those aforementioned.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,404 of 3,824
Quote:
Do they really need more "juice"? I think they have just low volumes. Or they need as much juice as full sized headphones...which is/would be kinda ridiculous. I never had any other IEMs that would need me to turn the volume all the way up, only for headphones without the use of an amp. Probably wouldn't have gotten it if I knew beforehand. About the soundstage, I feel they are smaller than the GR06 and Pro Alphas or maybe they are less airy than those aforementioned.

yes they do need more juice, more than my UM3X or W4R i have mine at 3/4 whereas the W4 would be a little below halfway and the um3x would be at about 1/3

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,405 of 3,824
Quote:
yes they do need more juice, more than my UM3X or W4R i have mine at 3/4 whereas the W4 would be a little below halfway and the um3x would be at about 1/3

I actually have it over 100%, since i'm also using Voodoo Sound to boost the volume. With other IEMs I set the Voodoo Sound to +1.5db and 50-60% volume. With this IEM I have my phone at 90% volume and +3.0db. Really unfortunate that I haven't read anything about that before. It's draining my phone like crazy.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #1,406 of 3,824
Quote:
How about the mic? 

LOL, you think after blowing my ears I'll try them with an iPhone again? Let somebody else try! :p
I plug them into the FiiO E17 exclusively now.

However, the whole design is a flaw, though. So arguably they might sound good (below 50 €!) but I think they're worth nothing because of the most stupid cable design I have ever experienced. The bulky control buttons aren't helping the looks either.

You get what you pay for. I had rather spent the money on a meal, though.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,407 of 3,824
Quote:

LOL, you think after blowing my ears I'll try them with an iPhone again? Let somebody else try! :p
I plug them into the FiiO E17 exclusively now.

However, the whole design is a flaw, though. So arguably they might sound good (below 50 €!) but I think they're worth nothing because of the most stupid cable design I have ever experienced. The bulky control buttons aren't helping the looks either.

You get what you pay for. I had rather spent the money on a meal, though.

+1
the bulky button design ruins the aethetics, but the mic works fine (I do have to say i own a sony phone, i'd be really surprised if it didn't work)

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,410 of 3,824
Well my MH1c CTIA version arrived today. First impressions are that its significantly bassier than the MH1 livesound version, however if it follows the trend of the livesound that should settle down a lot after 48 hours of burn in or so. Here are some pretty pics.

The Livesound and the CTIA version have different filters. with the CTIA on the right having a pair of rather cheaper looking and thicker filters. Not sure how this affects sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back