[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #3,571 of 3,824
Depends what you can get it for, I've seen some crazy prices for these recently. If you can get it cheap then for sure it's a no-brainer

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,573 of 3,824
Because they sound good, that doesn't get old.

Head-fi is always focused on the next thing, this is now old hat. People (me included) still rate GR07 and others above the new hybrid trend of headphones, and that's been around for years!

I got mine for £12 but that was before it got really popular. it's now not widely available, Ebay is probably the best bet?

It depends what sort of sound you want and if you need a remote, there are other options out there for sure.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,574 of 3,824
Because they sound good, that doesn't get old.

Head-fi is always focused on the next thing, this is now old hat. People (me included) still rate GR07 and others above the new hybrid trend of headphones, and that's been around for years!

I got mine for £12 but that was before it got really popular. it's now not widely available, Ebay is probably the best bet?

It depends what sort of sound you want and if you need a remote, there are other options out there for sure.

nah I was thinking because you know technology would advance more therefore you could probably get something better. Though I guess you're right. 

I just need something to replace my sony mh750 when they eventually break down you know? So I was thinking some IEMs like Sennheisers would be a good idea but then I heard about these. Mh750 are probably the best stock earphones though compared to what others provide with their phone. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,575 of 3,824
  nah I was thinking because you know technology would advance more therefore you could probably get something better. Though I guess you're right. 

I just need something to replace my sony mh750 when they eventually break down you know? So I was thinking some IEMs like Sennheisers would be a good idea but then I heard about these. Mh750 are probably the best stock earphones though compared to what others provide with their phone. 

This is one of those few tech fields that don't really "get old", maybe because the fundamental techs behind it is very simple.
MH1 was released long ago but that doesn't change the way it sounds. As time passes there may be sets that is considered to have a "higher p/p". But those who liked the MH1 will continue to like it, and it's still worth a try for those who think they may like it.
It's the same for newer sets. If you don't like it you don't like it, doesn't matter if it's only released days ago.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #3,576 of 3,824

This is one of those few tech fields that don't really "get old", maybe because the fundamental techs behind it is very simple.
MH1 was released long ago but that doesn't change the way it sounds. As time passes there may be sets that is considered to have a "higher p/p". But those who liked the MH1 will continue to like it, and it's still worth a try for those who think they may like it.
It's the same for newer sets. If you don't like it you don't like it, doesn't matter if it's only released days ago.

true it does seem odd because we would never say this for computers, cameras, and Tvs which have most certaintly evolved in superior ways over their past models. 

However, my question is if something this great was made for ercisson phones back in the day why haven't they made something like this now? and surely more knowledge and techniques would have been devised ever since. 

this is also as far as I can hard to buy which makes me think it could be a tad bit overhyped. I mean just how good are these? what can they compare against. are they better than audiotechnica im70 or something?

If I could find these easyi'd get them. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #3,577 of 3,824
  true it does seem odd because we would never say this for computers, cameras, and Tvs which have most certaintly evolved in superior ways over their past models. 

However, my question is if something this great was made for ercisson phones back in the day why haven't they made something like this now? and surely more knowledge and techniques would have been devised ever since. 

this is also as far as I can hard to buy which makes me think it could be a tad bit overhyped. I mean just how good are these? what can they compare against. are they better than audiotechnica im70 or something?

If I could find these easyi'd get them. 

Developing great sounding earphones takes a lot of engineer work, and funding that costs money. MH1 are so cheap because they were produced in huge quantities (allowing Sony to invest quite a lot into their R&D), but with a plug pinout that was soon after their release not being used in smartphones any longer. I don't think that it's realistic for a different company to work on earphones in the 5-30$ range and get the same sound quality and stability as in MH1. Engineering great sound takes quite a bit of funding, with such small profit margins it might be impossible to break even, even with huge quantities. 
IIRC, Sead Smailagic (MH1 engineer) wrote something to the likes of the cheaper MH750 being designed to have similar sound to MH1, but being much cheaper to produce so that they could sell them for less / include them with lower-class smartphones. So from that we can assume that the per-unit production costs were relatively high. 
He also wrote that the MH750 are a clear downgrade from the MH1. Not a large one, but noticeable from the cheaper materials. So if you like how the MH750 sound, going for the MH1 next would be a reasonable choice. You can buy them for 16$ including an OMTP-CTIA adapter and shipping here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headset-MH1-EC250-adaptor-For-Sony-Lt26i-st26i-LT39i-C6603-LT36i-st27i-Z1-White-/121828927487?hash=item1c5d91e7ff:g:IrAAAOxydlFSv8Ov

I barely follow Head-Fi any longer since I've been completely happy with my MH1 sets for about 4 years now, but I noticed that there recently was quite the hype about the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, of which some reviewers said that they sound better to them than MH1. However, these are usually sold for 40-60$ and I've read from quite a few users that the build quality is mediocre, with the drivers often stopping to work for a while after a few hours of usage or in more humid environments. Also, there's a large production variation, with different units sounding quite different from each other. 

The Sony MH1 do not have any of those problems. 

There is some progress in the audio technology world, but it's not that fast. Well-engineered equipment from decades ago sounds better than new equipment with less capable engineers or compromises on parts and build quality. MH1 wasn't even released that long ago, and the circumstances with the plug type issue, huge quantities produced and the controversial cable (I actually like it somewhat when used with the shirt clip) that gave them such a great performance/price-ratio are pretty unique. 

I think they are just not talked about much because they are pretty well-known here already. Everything's been said pretty much. Comparison reviews to newer "hot deal" IEMs by well-known reviewers like ClieOS would be nice, but I understand that spending the time without getting much if anything back isn't that enticing.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,578 of 3,824
aertus to help you out I found a pair of mh750 over the weekend (came with girlfriends phone) and they sound pretty good. It's been said before but the MH1 has the same signature but with improved clarity and soundstage. You will like them for sure.

The Tenore is an upgrade again but no remote.

I've just ordered the LG Quadbeat 3, these are the latest bang for buck ONE around here and the reviews doings great.... for £10 from Fleabay its worth a try. Will report back

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,579 of 3,824
  Developing great sounding earphones takes a lot of engineer work, and funding that costs money. MH1 are so cheap because they were produced in huge quantities (allowing Sony to invest quite a lot into their R&D), but with a plug pinout that was soon after their release not being used in smartphones any longer. I don't think that it's realistic for a different company to work on earphones in the 5-30$ range and get the same sound quality and stability as in MH1. Engineering great sound takes quite a bit of funding, with such small profit margins it might be impossible to break even, even with huge quantities. 
IIRC, Sead Smailagic (MH1 engineer) wrote something to the likes of the cheaper MH750 being designed to have similar sound to MH1, but being much cheaper to produce so that they could sell them for less / include them with lower-class smartphones. So from that we can assume that the per-unit production costs were relatively high. 
He also wrote that the MH750 are a clear downgrade from the MH1. Not a large one, but noticeable from the cheaper materials. So if you like how the MH750 sound, going for the MH1 next would be a reasonable choice. You can buy them for 16$ including an OMTP-CTIA adapter and shipping here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headset-MH1-EC250-adaptor-For-Sony-Lt26i-st26i-LT39i-C6603-LT36i-st27i-Z1-White-/121828927487?hash=item1c5d91e7ff:g:IrAAAOxydlFSv8Ov

I barely follow Head-Fi any longer since I've been completely happy with my MH1 sets for about 4 years now, but I noticed that there recently was quite the hype about the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, of which some reviewers said that they sound better to them than MH1. However, these are usually sold for 40-60$ and I've read from quite a few users that the build quality is mediocre, with the drivers often stopping to work for a while after a few hours of usage or in more humid environments. Also, there's a large production variation, with different units sounding quite different from each other. 

The Sony MH1 do not have any of those problems. 

There is some progress in the audio technology world, but it's not that fast. Well-engineered equipment from decades ago sounds better than new equipment with less capable engineers or compromises on parts and build quality. MH1 wasn't even released that long ago, and the circumstances with the plug type issue, huge quantities produced and the controversial cable (I actually like it somewhat when used with the shirt clip) that gave them such a great performance/price-ratio are pretty unique. 

I think they are just not talked about much because they are pretty well-known here already. Everything's been said pretty much. Comparison reviews to newer "hot deal" IEMs by well-known reviewers like ClieOS would be nice, but I understand that spending the time without getting much if anything back isn't that enticing.

Thanks for the extensive write up. They do sound like they would be pretty quality I will definitely consider them replacing my mh750 once they break. But surprisingly they've held up for quite a while now. Yeah I think the older stuff produced by sony in the 90s is a probably a good example of timeless engineering that still stands the test of time. Its definitely different frmo say microschips. 

I also wanna try Sony's XBA series of earphons as well as the ex650. But I want to try Sennheisers since they are a major company in the audiophile world and they definitely need be tested. 

@aertus to help you out I found a pair of mh750 over the weekend (came with girlfriends phone) and they sound pretty good. It's been said before but the MH1 has the same signature but with improved clarity and soundstage. You will like them for sure.

The Tenore is an upgrade again but no remote.

I've just ordered the LG Quadbeat 3, these are the latest bang for buck ONE around here and the reviews doings great.... for £10 from Fleabay its worth a try. Will report back

hnn will definitely have to give them a listen then. the mh750 do sound better than most stock earphones from other phones. 

May 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,580 of 3,824
I've come back to MH1 after having several LG Quadbeat 3's break on me. I'm very happy to find the MH1 really comes alive with EQ, bettering the great sounding Quadbeat 3 by a fair margin.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #3,581 of 3,824
Anyone here own the KZ ED9s? I just bought these heavily praised C-IEMs and so far they sound almost exactly like the Sony MH1Cs but with less bass (even with the gold filters) and better resolution and soundstage. Suddenly a light bulb flickered in my head and told me to put the foam stuffing from the MH1Cs (they were broken anyway) into the filters and WOW the bass drastically improved and is now on par with the MH1Cs.

So if your pair of Sony MH1Cs broke and you like the silky sound signature of it and you don't want to waste another $30 on it, then get the KZ ED9s cause they sound EXACTLY like it for around only $10!!

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,582 of 3,824
Anyone here own the KZ ED9s? I just bought these heavily praised C-IEMs and so far they sound almost exactly like the Sony MH1Cs but with less bass (even with the gold filters) and better resolution and soundstage. Suddenly a light bulb flickered in my head and told me to put the foam stuffing from the MH1Cs (they were broken anyway) into the filters and WOW the bass drastically improved and is now on par with the MH1Cs.

So if your pair of Sony MH1Cs broke and you like the silky sound signature of it and you don't want to waste another $30 on it, then get the KZ ED9s cause they sound EXACTLY like it for around only $10!!
If you think KZ ED9 is good then you should listen to the KZ ZST and KZ ZS5 with Comply T400 tips...they're the King of budget IEMs for me.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3,583 of 3,824
These will always be in my heart, it was the first cheap iem that just made me discover how good something can sound. I just wish the cable was different :frowning2:

Just curious is Sony still producing them? Meaning will they run out sometime?

Didn't know ED9 sounded similar... so you even without that hack it sounds similar with better resolution?
it's also funny you say the ed9 are similar to the m1hc i asked many times here and they all said no kz comes close to this (well the mh1c is not that balanced but it's a warm/sweet balance) if only the zse...

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #3,584 of 3,824
These will always be in my heart, it was the first cheap iem that just made me discover how good something can sound. I just wish the cable was different :frowning2:

Just curious is Sony still producing them? Meaning will they run out sometime?

Didn't know ED9 sounded similar... so you even without that hack it sounds similar with better resolution?
it's also funny you say the ed9 are similar to the m1hc i asked many times here and they all said no kz comes close to this (well the mh1c is not that balanced but it's a warm/sweet balance) if only the zse...
ED9 has much less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back