[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 19, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #3,421 of 3,824
  Hello all,

I have a curiosity. I don't know much about driver, but the description says that MH1C's driver is a "dynamic TRANSDUCER driver". What is that exactly? Is it just another way to name a normal 5.8 mm driver, or are these transducer drivers different, like balanced armature ones? I'm asking because I own an MH1C and it sounds way better, and the sound feels much fuller than other simple headphones with 6,7,8,10mm (presumably normal) dynamic drivers.

Hi Ben. The MH1 has "micro drivers", which are essentially small dynamic drivers, afaik. They are not balanced armature. Take a look at the Sony MH1 R&D Story: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634193/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,422 of 3,824

Hello all,

I have a curiosity. I don't know much about driver, but the description says that MH1C's driver is a "dynamic TRANSDUCER driver". What is that exactly? Is it just another way to name a normal 5.8 mm driver, or are these transducer drivers different, like balanced armature ones? I'm asking because I own an MH1C and it sounds way better, and the sound feels much fuller than other simple headphones with 6,7,8,10mm (presumably normal) dynamic drivers.

Hi Ben. The MH1 has "micro drivers", which are essentially small dynamic drivers, afaik. They are not balanced armature. Take a look at the Sony MH1 R&D Story: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634193/sony-mh1-r-d-story-and-discussion

Yes. These are dynamic drivers.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,424 of 3,824

Hi luisdent, I see your comment in rinchoi blog, have you tried the mod? so i just block the left vent of driver and the result bass is only slightly less than the phonak pfe, what do you think?

edit:after listen more now it also apparent the sound become less smooth, maybe because mid bass are reduced? I thought that it sound good with mod, before i listen to my phonak again
rolleyes.gif
hmm.. not much

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #3,425 of 3,824

Hi luisdent, I see your comment in rinchoi blog, have you tried the mod? so i just block the left vent of driver and the result bass is only slightly less than the phonak pfe, what do you think?

edit:after listen more now it also apparent the sound become less smooth, maybe because mid bass are reduced? I thought that it sound good with mod, before i listen to my phonak again
rolleyes.gif
hmm.. not much

I've played with all the bass mods. I mod all of my recables to have a bit less bass. I don't find any effect on smoothness on any of my recables, but I suppose someone could get the impression of that because of the bass being less. Bass and midbass can give the "impression" of warmth or smoothness. However, I don't find the treble becomes any more "peaky" or anything. Just more apparent due to the lower bass, but that's the point of the mod! :) :wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #3,426 of 3,824

I've played with all the bass mods. I mod all of my recables to have a bit less bass. I don't find any effect on smoothness on any of my recables, but I suppose someone could get the impression of that because of the bass being less. Bass and midbass can give the "impression" of warmth or smoothness. However, I don't find the treble becomes any more "peaky" or anything. Just more apparent due to the lower bass, but that's the point of the mod! :) :wink:

yes, maybe just more forward. now I can't even imagine just how etymotic sound with even less bass? :D likely it's not like what I expect.

just listen more, I think I like it now. Also if I apply the blocked left vent graph on stock graph it match with rinchoi mod! I think that pretty much what rin doing with his mod?

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3,427 of 3,824
Hi!

I have a weird problem with these earphones. I use them with a Moto G 2014 phone. When I use them at home they're fine, but when I'm outside, on the bus, on the train they are constantly stopping music. This happens in any player. It's as if they are disconnected and then connected back after a second or two. I accidentally found the reason for this was too much outside noise. At home I played some music and then yelled or coughed or made a noise directly into the mic of the earphones. Every time the playback stopped. Why is this happening? I could tape the mic over but then I wont be able to answer calls with them... Any ideas?

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #3,428 of 3,824
I now have a HTC phone but I was a Sony Ericsson lover previously and played Baugh a few of the smartphone headaephones. To be honest not sure if these headphones are that great. I much prefered the other budget iem's namely Sony Ericsson HPM 77 and Sony MH700. Both these (also cheap) iems had really musical sound with punchy bass and engaging treble.. I remember when my MH 700 died on me and I had to use the MH1 as a back up I was disappointed and it definately sounded like a step down...it didn't have the musicality and want as engaging...any just thought I'd put my two cents in here :thumbsup:

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,430 of 3,824
Just my thoughts on rinchoi mod:

First I would recommend the mod if you want to hear how flat headphone sound like :)

So what I do is pretty much just block all vent on the driver, previously I just block the left vent which is actually match with rin's mod.
After I blocked all the vent it should turn the bass flat even more, and so I noticed the sound is actually smoother? that confirmed on the graph where the bump at 3-4khz is slightly reduced, yeah.

Now looking from the mh1 and mhc1 data (with different damper impedance) I can raised the highs slightly and actually make it less peaky, add more spark and make the FR more level, so what I do is cut the foam damper inside the nozzle just about 1/4 of the length, that's it. I swear the presentations is now become more like of phonak pfe (more 3d like soundstage as opposed to dry or mid centric sound previously) with slightly less bass.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,431 of 3,824

yes, maybe just more forward. now I can't even imagine just how etymotic sound with even less bass? :D likely it's not like what I expect.

just listen more, I think I like it now. Also if I apply the blocked left vent graph on stock graph it match with rinchoi mod! I think that pretty much what rin doing with his mod?

Well, the er4s with red filters is still smoother treble than the mh1. So bringing the bass down on the mh1 a bit might make it more balanced "overall" than stock, but having less bass on the er4s is different, because the treble is smoother in general...

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,432 of 3,824
My ZMF recabled MH1 is up for sale if anyone is interested...

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #3,433 of 3,824
BTW I try to draw how the graph look with the mod, here it go:

This is graph based on rinchoi measurement:

Next my attempt to draw the mh1 with no rear volume (sorry if it's inaccurate or completely wrong you can correct me)

Now to match 1khz at 90dB, here it is:

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3,434 of 3,824

They sound almost the same. The Mh1 has a tiny bit more treble than the Mh1c. The difference might be due to the extra filter the Mh1c has at the nozzle.

Both have the extra round filter at the top of the nozzle.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,435 of 3,824
I have had the MH1C's for about 8 months.  While they sound great, I'm a little frustrated by the filters.  The sound is continually getting muffled in one ear or the other.  I remove and replace the filter and it is all good again.  Unfortunately, the fix only lasts for a short while.  I don't think it is a moisture issue as I have had them sit for about a month without use and it is still muffled.  My hypothesis is that air pressure is causing the filters to get out of alignment when I insert the earphones.  Any thoughts on a fix?  Should I just toss the filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back