[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 22, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,393 of 3,824

You make it sound so easy lol

It is actually not that difficult, you just need the right tools. I can make a guide with more pictures if you guys are still interested
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3,394 of 3,824

You make it sound so easy lol

It is easy.

Edit: But the linked guide is unnecessary complicated, imho (unless you are experienced, patient with this kind of work and have all the tools). My mini-guide is really simple to follow (at least I hope so): http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/3330#post_10997922

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #3,398 of 3,824
  It's hard to open the housing without deform the plastic body(at least for me) i don't have the right tool i guess, i'd try the easier way without opening the housing next.

I will soon make a video guide that will describe this in detail. I use a vice with a rubber grip to hold on the metal housing. Then I twist the strain relief until it becomes loose. Then I use pliers with rubber on them to pull out the strain relief. 

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say. The black MH1's rubber is softer than the white MH1's. Due to its softness, the black rubber is very difficult to remove without damaging it, at least in my experience. The white rubber is easily removed.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #3,399 of 3,824
  I will soon make a video guide that will describe this in detail. I use a vice with a rubber grip to hold on the metal housing. Then I twist the strain relief until it becomes loose. Then I use pliers with rubber on them to pull out the strain relief. 

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say. The black MH1's rubber is softer than the white MH1's. Due to its softness, the black rubber is very difficult to remove without damaging it, at least in my experience. The white rubber is easily removed.

I follow the recable guide but still don't get the twisting part, more so I use just pliers for vice and to twist, yes i have the black mh1 just like you said it quick to deform even with soft twist. I look forward the video :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3,400 of 3,824
Just to clarify, my guide on handtokey.blogspot.com is more complicated because i believe splicing wires and joining them is much less reliable and attractive. But both methods can work well if done right.

Pulling apart the housing as per my tutorial will not damage the stress relief at all if you are careful. The secret is using the right tools to get something cleanly between the housing and relief to then pry them apart. If you apply just enough pressure using something as a level to pry with but not too much pressure you can cleanly separate them.

The problem is that finding the right pressure and technique can take a few tries... :-/

Even still, properly soldering the tiny contacts and thin wires of the drivers may not be easy for everyone, especially if you don't have a good soldering iron.

Anyhow, i'm happy to answer any questions on the specifics of how i do a recable...

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,402 of 3,824
hmm, I have the uncontrolled bass only when i wear it deep with small tip i never have that with medium tips/shallow insertion,  now after I seal the vent and strain relief the mid and treble become as clear as the phonak pfe though the treble is smoother!

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,405 of 3,824
Just got a couple of pairs of MH1s re-cabled by LuckyEars, stellar work. I supplied the Magnus 1 cables (Heir/Noble) and Paliccs connector, he did the fiddly stuff.  You really have to look close to see any marks on the strain relief, great job! - 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back