[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Mar 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,941 of 3,824
Thank you for acknowledging the MH1. I'm also a proud owner of two MH1's with the second pair I plan for recable as well. I do apply parametric eq to reduce the bass and to my ears they are astounding.

Can you or anyone else with MH1 check something for me...
On Bruno Mars 'Locked out of heaven' during the chorus starting ~2:40 into the song there are some triangle(???) hits in the background. Do you guys hear those triangle hits or whatever chime sounds with your MH1? Here is a link if you don't have the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpO_3k0Axg

Asking because I got in a cheap pair of white MH1 from ebay today, and I do not hear the triangle/chimes with the MH1 at all. I can hear them with my ksc75 and mikros 90. I can also hear them slightly with my she3580 and jvc fr201.

Could my MH1 be defective, or fake? I got it from a UK seller. It did not come with any accessories, no extra ear tips or shirt clip, just the iem with default tips. I knew this when I bought it, but I figured why would someone bother to make fake white MH1 with limited demand omtp connector when they could just as easily make black MH1c instead with higher demand. I verified it does have omtp connector and also the nozzle filter is black with white dot in center. Afaik everything matches same as pics of MH1 I have seen here.

Not sure if burn-in would help or is needed, but I listened with the stock tips when I first got them and again after about 6 hrs burn-in so far.

For omtp/ctia conversion cable, I am using the conversion cable that comes with jvc fr201 (mic'd version fx101). Without the jvc adapter, I have to press the remote button to get full audio. I don't hear the triangle with just the button pressed either, button press and jvc adapter sound the same, so ruled out the conversion cable as possible source of problem.

I hear it fine. Slightly to the right goes with each quarter note on beats 2, 3 and 4.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,942 of 3,824
Anyone want to donate and mh1 or mh1c to me to so I can try to get to the solder terminals without destroying the thing. :p  If I can I'll gladly recable them and send them back at the cost of parts.  You'd have to be fully prepared for the chance that they will be completely destroyed. :p

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,943 of 3,824
Can you or anyone else with MH1 check something for me...
On Bruno Mars 'Locked out of heaven' during the chorus starting ~2:40 into the song there are some triangle(???) hits in the background. Do you guys hear those triangle hits or whatever chime sounds with your MH1? Here is a link if you don't have the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpO_3k0Axg

Asking because I got in a cheap pair of white MH1 from ebay today, and I do not hear the triangle/chimes with the MH1 at all. I can hear them with my ksc75 and mikros 90. I can also hear them slightly with my she3580 and jvc fr201.

Could my MH1 be defective, or fake? I got it from a UK seller. It did not come with any accessories, no extra ear tips or shirt clip, just the iem with default tips. I knew this when I bought it, but I figured why would someone bother to make fake white MH1 with limited demand omtp connector when they could just as easily make black MH1c instead with higher demand. I verified it does have omtp connector and also the nozzle filter is black with white dot in center. Afaik everything matches same as pics of MH1 I have seen here.

Not sure if burn-in would help or is needed, but I listened with the stock tips when I first got them and again after about 6 hrs burn-in so far.

For omtp/ctia conversion cable, I am using the conversion cable that comes with jvc fr201 (mic'd version fx101). Without the jvc adapter, I have to press the remote button to get full audio. I don't hear the triangle with just the button pressed either, button press and jvc adapter sound the same, so ruled out the conversion cable as possible source of problem.

I hear it fine on both my units. Chimes on the right channel. Using C3 with flac format.

Try doing a sound wave sweep to confirm your issue. Goodluck!

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,944 of 3,824
This sounds a little strange.  You can't hear the chime?  Is that ALL you can't hear?  One single instrument?  Does something sound strange in general?  Can you tell something sounds "off"?  Have you heard the mh1 before?  Is there a strange dropout in mids or treble for you?  Can you hear the chimes at all?  0%?  50%?  Is it just quieter than you're used to?  Perhaps the other earphone exaggerate it?  More info please. :) :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2,945 of 3,824
I hear it fine on both my units. Chimes on the right channel. Using C3 with flac format.

Try doing a sound wave sweep to confirm your issue. Goodluck!

This sounds a little strange.  You can't hear the chime?  Is that ALL you can't hear?  One single instrument?  Does something sound strange in general?  Can you tell something sounds "off"?  Have you heard the mh1 before?  Is there a strange dropout in mids or treble for you?  Can you hear the chimes at all?  0%?  50%?  Is it just quieter than you're used to?  Perhaps the other earphone exaggerate it?  More info please. :) :)

Thanks for the replies. Nope I don't really hear the chimes on my MH1. Other than that nothing seems blatantly off or strange. Nope I have not heard the MH1 before. The other phones I have are philips she3580, jvc fr201, koss ksc75 and martin logan mikros 90. I can hear the chimes best on the mikros so for comparison sake lets say those are 100%. The ksc75 would be say 75% of that, the fr201 50%, the she3580 25%, and the MH1 would maybe be 10% if I'm being generous. The chime is like a ding-ding. On the she3580 I only hear a flat 2nd ding. On the MH1 I barely hear the 2nd ding, like just the faint echo of the second ding.

I tried a sweep test as d_marc0 suggested. I used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k (if you know a better souce for sweep test then lmk). With the MH1 I could hear the sweep from 35Hz to 5.8KHz or so. With other phones I can hear the sweep up to 6.8KHz. So my MH1 seems to be cutting off around 5.8KHz. What frequency range would those chimes be? 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,946 of 3,824
Thanks for the replies. Nope I don't really hear the chimes on my MH1. Other than that nothing seems blatantly off or strange. Nope I have not heard the MH1 before. The other phones I have are philips she3580, jvc fr201, koss ksc75 and martin logan mikros 90. I can hear the chimes best on the mikros so for comparison sake lets say those are 100%. The ksc75 would be say 75% of that, the fr201 50%, the she3580 25%, and the MH1 would maybe be 10% if I'm being generous. The chime is like a ding-ding. On the she3580 I only hear a flat 2nd ding. On the MH1 I barely hear the 2nd ding, like just the faint echo of the second ding.

I tried a sweep test as d_marc0 suggested. I used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k (if you know a better souce for sweep test then lmk). With the MH1 I could hear the sweep from 35Hz to 5.8KHz or so. With other phones I can hear the sweep up to 6.8KHz. So my MH1 seems to be cutting off around 5.8KHz. What frequency range would those chimes be? 

Seems like your mh1 is defective. I can hear clearly upto 9khz with a sound sweep.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,947 of 3,824

Seems like your mh1 is defective. I can hear clearly upto 9khz with a sound sweep.

9khz?  Do you have any high frequency hearing loss?  My mh1 can go much higher than that... Just curious what you meant...

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,948 of 3,824

Yes maybe they are defective. They do seem to clip off somewhere in the 5khz range. On my other phones I can hear up to the 6khz range. Would that explain the missing chimes, are the chime sounds above 5khz frequency? Any chance the MH1 might be fake? Because then I should find a different seller instead of trying to get a replacement from the same seller.

9khz?  Do you have any high frequency hearing loss?  My mh1 can go much higher than that... Just curious what you meant...

I don't hear anything above 7khz on any of my phones, so maybe my ears can't hear above that. Or maybe the youtube test vids are compressed and rolling off the high frequencies when processed by youtube. What do you guys use for sound sweep testing?

You guys are also using MH1 + ctia adapter, not MH1c, correct? 

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #2,949 of 3,824

Try holding the button down while listening, adapter or not.
All of mine definitely go far past 10 kHz.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2,950 of 3,824

No, my hearing is fine.. that's why I included "clearly" because anything past 9khz is really faint on normal listening volume. Plus, I don't really trust sound sweeps on youtube when it gets past 9khz...
But I do hear everything till 18khz on my tests.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,951 of 3,824
  Try holding the button down while listening, adapter or not.
All of mine definitely go far past 10 kHz.

Yes I did try holding the button down. I retested with test sweeps from audiocheck.net instead of the youtube. With mh1 the tone drops out above 6khz, my other phones extend past 7khz (not sure if my 7khz limitation is my hearing or my laptop soundcard).

If my mh1 are defective, would both sides have the same issue? Or does both sides having the issue point to them being fake? Any other possible reasons for treble problem? I am using stock tips, would that make a difference? Only 10 hours burn-in, would longer burn-in help? I am using them connected to my laptop, no external amp, just mh1 -> ctia adapter -> laptop jack. Anyone have same config just so apples-to-apples comparison and rule out any possible source or compatibilty issues. Unfortunately I don't have another source to try them with. I know these are unlikely to make a difference but just want to rule out every possibility before I decide whether to get replacement from same seller or buy from a different seller. I got them on ebay from UK seller 'mobiles' or something like that, if anyone else got them there or thinking about it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,952 of 3,824

No, my hearing is fine.. that's why I included "clearly" because anything past 9khz is really faint on normal listening volume. Plus, I don't really trust sound sweeps on youtube when it gets past 9khz...
But I do hear everything till 18khz on my tests.

Just trying to say that that isn't normal.  I can listen to my mh1 at a very quiet listening volume.  Very quiet.  And I'm able to hear up to 15,500hz at a very consistent volume the entire time.  Only past that does it start to get quieter, but still audible.  The mh1 should produce a pretty consistent volume way into the treble range on any normal system.  I did this test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkipAlRKq0

With the built in headphone output of my macbook pro laptop.  That is probably a low quality youtube compressed video, and who knows how it affects high frequency rolloff, but I still hear "clearly" up to 15,500 hz.  If you know you're hearing is fine and can easily hear treble into the highest human ranges, then the mh1 should easily produce that on a sine sweep.  If it doesn't, or it has any noticeable dropouts, then there may be a problem with the mh1 (assuming other phones work ok).  If you have any hearing loss, then it would be hard to know where the issue is.  Some earphones will exaggerate treble, and to someone with high frequency hearing loss, this may make them sound more neutral in response, but in reality, they have more treble than normal.  Sometimes by a large degree.  The mh1 have very neutral treble overall with more weight in the bass area, so to some this might sound a lot less bright than normal.

Just saying, d marc0 might simply have less sensitive high frequency hearing, or it was the youtube video, or whatever, but he was able to get to  9khz easily and then still up to 18khz.  If you are not getting to at least 12khz you either have a problem with the mh1, audio gear or noticeable hearing loss...

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,953 of 3,824
  If my mh1 are defective, would both sides have the same issue? Or does both sides having the issue point to them being fake? Any other possible reasons for treble problem? I am using stock tips, would that make a difference? Only 10 hours burn-in, would longer burn-in help? I am using them connected to my laptop, no external amp, just mh1 -> ctia adapter -> laptop jack. Anyone have same config just so apples-to-apples comparison and rule out any possible source or compatibilty issues. Unfortunately I don't have another source to try them with. I know these are unlikely to make a difference but just want to rule out every possibility before I decide whether to get replacement from same seller or buy from a different seller. I got them on ebay from UK seller 'mobiles' or something like that, if anyone else got them there or thinking about it.

Burn-in won't help. Stock tips should be fine for treble. Maybe your laptop headphone out is just low quality. See if you can borrow an iPhone/iPod off someone to listen to that song, they're the most commonly-found source of decent quality.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #2,955 of 3,824
FYI, I hope to have my MH1 re-cable tutorial up very soon.  Also, I've decided to try and make a reference eq for the MH1.  I want to tweak the heck out of it with eq until I think it sounds reference. :p

Awesome! Looking forward to them... Pls share how you end up with the eq settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back