[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,701 of 3,824
That just means your shallow seal wasn't perfect, thus more bass when inserted deeper, it's quite common. There is less treble deeper which could result in more bass perception but it's not because the bass is boosted.

Seal won't change how much air pressure in the lower region the iem pumps out, it is why bass doesn't change In measurements regardless of insertion, insertion can only change 2nd wave resonance

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,702 of 3,824
That just means your shallow seal wasn't perfect, thus more bass when inserted deeper, it's quite common. There is less treble deeper which could result in more bass perception but it's not because the bass is boosted.

Seal won't change how much air pressure in the lower region the iem pumps out, it is why bass doesn't change In measurements regardless of insertion, insertion can only change 2nd wave resonance

Not true with the mh1. I can get a perfect seal with the mh1. Push them deeper and you get more bass. Whether it's because deep fit cuts all the treble or boosts the bass doesn't really matter. The end result is a more bassy sound. They are still bassier than neutral when shallow, but not really "that" bassy. Just more than neutral, but less than a deep fit. Not a drastic difference, but the treble is lowered and the bass increased. :-o

Actually Phil from Cosmic Ears did this experiment before, he said that seal could affect the bass dramatically though it doesn't really impact the treble.
His post can be found here

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,703 of 3,824

My shallow seal is 100% as is my deep seal. I'd like to see graphs comparing the spectrum of deep and shallow fits of the mh1. Are there any?

Rin shows that as the fit is shallower the treble is more extended and it becomes closer to a conventional diffuse field target. Plus more treble is less bass. They are the same thing. More of one masks the other or reveals. If you boost everything above the bass you will have less bass. If you boost the bass you will have less treble. You can boost a small section of treble and have the impression of detail with bass, but that's not the same as boosting the entire treble range, and you still get masking in some areas even if it isn't apparent.

Anyhow, beside the point. If i wear them shallow with a perfect seal i get the flattest response, which is still more bass than neutral, let's sat +10db of low bass. That's a great seal and matches rin's graphs. If i push them in deeper i have to eq the whole bass range down another few db to get the same sound. So depth does affect mh 1bass and treble.

I recommend wearing the shallow but fully sealed, or medium depth with a bass cut eq.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,705 of 3,824
The thing is that you can't really claim a perfect seal with such certainty, the tips don't compress as much shallow and this leave more of an opening, though foam insets will help with this.

For the later point, it depends, it will have to a whole sweep of treble reduction, otherwise I don't think it's viable to claim "more bass". Not necessarily the case here, just the nature of the treble is changed, slightly lower on some regions, higher on others.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,706 of 3,824
My
The thing is that you can't really claim a perfect seal with such certainty, the tips don't compress as much shallow and this leave more of an opening, though foam insets will help with this.

For the later point, it depends, it will have to a whole sweep of treble reduction, otherwise I don't think it's viable to claim "more bass". Not necessarily the case here, just the nature of the treble is changed, slightly lower on some regions, higher on others.
my point was it is the entire treble for me. Not just part. Second, i can tell my seal is well within prime seal amount, because i'm very familiar with a lot of iems and have a lot of experience fitting tips for a good seal. The difference in seal is easy to tell based on noise reduction. In both shallow and deep i make sure the tip is fully contacting my canal all around and provides the same overall noise isolation. With that said, the bass changes much more than any other factor. Therefor it is only logical that it isn't my seal, but rather the depth. I could be wrong, but with lack of seal comes lack of isolation. This isn't my case...

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2,707 of 3,824
The whole thing is uncontrolled, it's a tough call to claim things with such certainty without scientific protocol. That's the case for you, but insertion never boosts bass on any simulator.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,708 of 3,824
Ne
The whole thing is uncontrolled, it's a tough call to claim things with such certainty without scientific protocol. That's the case for you, but insertion never boosts bass on any simulator.

Never ever? That's why i'd like to see graphs. :p. But i agree it's hard to know what each person is hearing. I prefer science, but this data isn't graphed tgat i can find. So, i have to go by listening. And listening, there is a noticeable difference. I verify this with eq. But i can only recommend people try it to see if they have similar results.

No matter what though, to get the best respone the designer himself said they were made to fit shallow. So i would try that for a while..,

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,710 of 3,824
The data is there, not ever is bass boosted by going deeper

How can you say that for every iem?  Insertion depth doesn't affect frequency response is what you're saying?  For instance, if treble is attenuated, that is the same as bass being boosted.  It might graph as a drop in treble, but at the equivalent axis point that is the same as the opposite bass being boosted.  Can you link to some of this data?  I'd like to read it to see what you are referring to....

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #2,711 of 3,824
Deep fit = reduced treble; shallow fit = even treble. Frequencies are relational. If there is less treble, one we likely perceive more bass comparatively.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,712 of 3,824
Deep fit = reduced treble; shallow fit = even treble. Frequencies are relational. If there is less treble, one we likely perceive more bass comparatively.

Are we taking into account seal here? As a rule of thumb the deeper the better the seal and that generally brings bass perception up.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,713 of 3,824
Same experience here... the highs extend better with shallow insertion. Thus, less warmer sound signature.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,714 of 3,824
YES. Shallow insertion made the earphones sing. They aren't completely bass dominated anymore, but juuust right. Bass is boosted but nicely so, and indeed, it doesn't make the midrange sound heavy. As a matter of fact, acoustic music doesn't sound as if it had any bass boost whatsoever. Treble is far more prominent now, although from what I've listened, the headphones are more midrange oriented than treble oriented.

But in a good way. There's no sibilance, midrange isn't piercing or harsh or too in your face. One single word can define the sound now - smooth and mellow, but detailed when it has to be. Now I understand what everyone is listening to - they are extremely likeable earphones. While my beloved ER-4S need some time to get used to (especially with their bass response) and they can get aggressive with sibilants and such on some recordings, the MH1s are just enjoyable all the time. 

That's the good thing.

The bad thing is - after 3 or 4 minutes of listening one channel dropped in level. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I suppose that since I took a bath before, humidity is blocking the filter or the vent.  This has never happened before with any other headphone I've owned. And yes, during the morning everything sounds fine.

OK, so it's a good IEM.. but does it also have to have sort of a diva-ish behavior, too?!?!

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,715 of 3,824
  I ordered two more for friends and one more me as a backup.
Now as far as the adapters, unfortunately the info on ebay is not clear so any input will be great do you think the following will work? (they look like they should work but....)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Female-M-F-Plug-Earphone-Audio-Adapter-Fr-Apple-iPhone-Nokia-/360615229681?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f657b8f1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Earphone-Audio-Sound-Voice-Adapter-Converter-for-iPhone3-3G-3GS-DR-/300915841515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460ffb59eb

cpapakon

which website did you buy the mh1's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back