[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 3, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #466 of 3,824
The original T20RP, version 1, which sounds a bit different than the v2 while retaining the round driver. A little clearer I feel, but that may be the pads (this is all in stock form). And that line in my sig is just out of the headphones I use constantly and currently. The MH1C were so great I had to throw them in.

And yeah, it's for real. I listened to the Sony EX600, Vsonic GR06, and Yamaha EPH-100 for extended periods of time -- all three IEMs offer a somewhat similar signature and presentation to the MH1C -- and here's a pretty simple rating breakdown of how I hear them, with the EX600 (just barely the best of the four) as the anchor:

~$130 EX600: 10.0
~$30 MH1C: 9.5
~$120 EPH-100: 6.0
~$65 Vsonic GR06: 5.0

Just crazy.

Quote:
SOUNDSTIGE:

Yamaha HP-2 > Etymotic ER-4S > Fostex T10 > Sony MH1C > Fostex T20....

Now you're speaking my language. Seriously hey. That's sure saying something. WOW  And that's the T20 v2 yellow writing if I'm not mistaken?

just , wow

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #468 of 3,824
i got a white mh1c for $ 29.5, this is the cheapest here in my country .. the next is 50 dollars

i gotta say these are the most perfectly tuned in ears i've come across ...the treble is perfect for me ... i dont think i need even a tad bit more! 

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #469 of 3,824
Quote:
For anyone who has the JVC S500's (yeah, I know they are headphones but still), how do these MH1C's compare to them? Do they come close?

I'm wondering the same thing when it comes to the resolution/details. Dsnuts would be a great person to answer this question. :wink:

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #470 of 3,824
Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing when it comes to the resolution/details. Dsnuts would be a great person to answer this question. :wink:

Yeah, lets hope he replies 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #471 of 3,824
These little things are just impressive! 
eek.gif

It's just a shame the cable is absolutely awful! By far, the worst cable I've ever experienced in an IEM, and the heavy button console on one side just makes it even worse! What a shame... Even with a normal bad cable like the ones from $1 IEMs, these would be far better! 
mad.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #472 of 3,824
These little things are just impressive! :eek:  

It's just a shame the cable is absolutely awful! By far, the worst cable I've ever experienced in an IEM, and the heavy button console on one side just makes it even worse! What a shame... Even with a normal bad cable like the ones from $1 IEMs, these would be far better! :mad:

How would you rate them beside Yamaha EPH-100?

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #473 of 3,824
Quote:
How would you rate them beside Yamaha EPH-100?

Well, I think is still too early for conclusions about them, as my pair has only about 15~20 hours of burn-in. I gave them a listen today and I was very impressed with them. They seem like a sort of mix between an EPH-100 with a RE-262! Not at the same level of the strong points on both of those, but still, a great compromise betwen those, it seems. If they will improve even further with more burn-in, then I don't know what to make of these little gems! They're that good... But then the cable, ohh the cable, almost makes them unusable! What an utter piece of ****!!! It's a pity, as these truly deserve a good cable... 
mad.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #474 of 3,824
Well, I think is still too early for conclusions about them, as my pair has only about 15~20 hours of burn-in. I gave them a listen today and I was very impressed with them. They seem like a sort of mix between an EPH-100 with a RE-262! Not at the same level of the strong points on both of those, but still, a great compromise betwen those, it seems. If they will improve even further with more burn-in, then I don't know what to make of these little gems! They're that good... But then the cable, ohh the cable, almost makes them unusable! What an utter piece of ****!!! What a pity... :mad:

The cable isn't being praised, it's not often I see you become so enthusiastic about something. :D Definitely expressing your feelings there, maybe someone can crack the code and do a re-cable. I'm sure it's only around the corner. Micro drivers impress me constantly, EPH was a sure sign of what can be accomplished, See how they go after burn in.

Mine are about a week away....

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #475 of 3,824
can someone help me in finding some bi-flanges or tri flanges that work with these ?

preferably UK

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #476 of 3,824
They sure are mighty impressive! Even if it's just for their price/performance ratio, I'm amazed! But this is where I stop to praise them, as now I just remembered about the cable... As anyone considered that maybe it's also because of such a bad cable that these are being sold as "cheap as chips"? What a flaw, and according to the guy responsible for their development, the cable option was "fashionable" choice from a marketing dept at Sony...

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #477 of 3,824
Quote:
The cable isn't being praised, it's not often I see you become so enthusiastic about something.
biggrin.gif
Definitely expressing your feelings there, maybe someone can crack the code and do a re-cable. I'm sure it's only around the corner. Micro drivers impress me constantly, EPH was a sure sign of what can be accomplished, See how they go after burn in.
Mine are about a week away....

They sure are mighty impressive! Even if it's just for their price/performance ratio, I'm amazed! But this is where I stop to praise them, as now I just remembered about the cable... As anyone considered that maybe it's also because of such a bad cable that these are being sold as "cheap as chips"? What a flaw, and according to the guy responsible for their development, the cable option was "fashionable" choice from a marketing dept at Sony...

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #479 of 3,824
Frankly, I don't find the cable that bad. The only problem I have with it is that it's assymetrical - I don't need a bad j-cord as I always wear my iems with the cables under my shirt, so I can always rest the housings on my chest when I'm not listening. As I said it's kinda fixable with two pices of tape though (of course black tape will be better but I'm too lazy to get some now 
tongue_smile.gif
 )

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #480 of 3,824
MOD.

This is building on Kova's earlier post where he removed 2/3rds of the foam under the stick on wax filter. Anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3s removed is about right depending on taste. The Highs never get too bright but removing more will take away that unique smoothness/sweetness through the mids and top. The removal is as much for tonality in the mids as anything else. Female vocals and snares wake up as they are a little sleepy stock. That said this could be left completely stock and still be that great value so proceed with caution.

This is personal but for me, the bass is quite over the top in quantity and affects the mids to their detriment. Again it's still quite good and a bass head wouldn't hear it that way. The bass actually reaches down remarkably but was actually causing me fatigue from it's quantity. Again, it's personal and I'm sure some would even want more. As mentioned earlier, there is a bass vent on the top where the rubber back meets the case. Closing the vent on a IEM that has one ofter shuts them them down in terms of openness, life and low bass. Not here. It still retains it's good qualities including tangible low bass and gets it more in line with the mids. The mids are now even better and no longer stepped on and the bass is tighter and better defined but still has plenty of weight. Still more than I want but closer to what you get from a GR07. I use candle wax when I play with vents. It stays but can be manipulated or removed if I change my mind. Soft birthday candle type is good for this deep small vent but try a piece of tape over the vent before proceeding with anything more permanent and decide on the bass before the highs to get your tune if you choose to do so.

As delivered, these have a unique composure, smoothness and bandwidth unheard of in the price range so don't jump into modding anything unless you feel something needs it. For me, the bass is overwhelming but the rest of it is very even and informative. This mod gives them, for me, better bass character and mids along with a more overall rhythmic presentation. If you feel about these stock as I do, I'd seal the vent and remove 1/2 the foam. I took a bit more as Kova did but that should be fine and more keep what they are about in the first place.

You should be able to reverse both portions of this but stuff happens so don't follow my example if you're happy and like the bass quantity, roundness and laid back presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back