[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,908 of 3,824
That makes more sense. They are still bass heavy but to a more reasonable degree. I still prefer blocking the vents and am playing with different cloths as fllter. The suggestion of a small pin hole in the original didn't work well and working it back closed just got one of them blocked up. A bit of cloth held under a true hybrid tip is getting interesting.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,909 of 3,824
Quote:
It seems that the pair that Rin had measured originally were "100% defective".

New measurements and an apology to Mr. Sead Smailagic.

OMG THANK YOU.

As an extreme basshead the MH1 still can't drive bass to my preferred party loud level craving, but that craving is only occasional and I prefer the sound of the MH1 on normal listening. I was massively disappointed by the MH1 at first, with Rin Choi's negative review having reinforced that disappointment (primarily because it was his comment that there's a difference between the MH1 and the MH1-C that made me buy both models). But then I began to notice the difference of MH1 to the Sennheiser CX series I've loved, and I started to love the MH1 (still only on normal listening volumes). Now I feel much, much better that I got two pairs of the MH1 while they were still cheap.

I was listening to The Lonely Island - Boombox and I noticed something for the first time, after having listened to the song so many times in the past, when using MH1: When Andy Samberg turns on the "Turbo Bass" there is an accompanying exaggerated bass rumble, but the bass of the entire song changes from there and it is actually a toned down version of the "Turbo Bass" but still exaggerated compared to the bass in the beginning up to the middle of the song. I never noticed that since the bass already sounds amplified on my Sennheiser CX400/CX500. That could still be a sign of having less bass than having superior bass quality, but since I love both the MH1 and the CX400 I just blamed my inferior hearing ability to distinguish the CX400's reproduction of that Turbo Bass.

(BTW I just bought a CX400 and CX500 for a total of $80 shipped through Tenso from an Amazon Japan Marketplace seller which I picked because they were the only store on the entire Internet selling the CXL400, and I assumed that nobody could ever counterfeit the CXL400 given its delicate craftsmanship--and I was right: compared to my authentic CXL400 that I bought from Newegg, the CX400 I got from Japan sounds exactly the same and even better I confirmed that the CX500 sounds just like the CX400 so the difference between the two is just the volume control as rumored.)

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,910 of 3,824
Well, for any out there waiting on my custom remold of the mh1c, it's not going to happen. The builder botched the build and the shape of my ear with a sharp bend is collapsing his style of ducting. I'm disappointed. The controller on the stock cable was annoying, I was hoping to get around the awful cable in general. Oh well, he's replacing with TF10's. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,911 of 3,824
Feb 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,912 of 3,824
Quote:
Just some observations between the MH1C and the GR02 BE.  I am no expert, just stating my opinons.

Both are very nice IEM's.  Both sound great, but sound very different.  The MH1C seems be very mellow (warm).  The vocals do not come out at you.  The lows are deeper on the MH1C IMO.  The GR02 BE has a very nice package with many ear tips.  With the iPhone 5, I have to turn down the volume using the GR02, they can play loud.  To me the GR02 does voices and horns very well.  It is a tough choice between the 2.

I prefer the warm sound of the MH1C, but 2 of my friends both picked the GR02 over the MH1C.  They both thought the sound was better.

I had a another person test the MH1C and the GR02 BE.  That person also picked the GR02.  So out of 4 people, 3 of the 4 picked the GR02 BE.  I am the loner that picked the MH1C.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,913 of 3,824
Quote:
I had a another person test the MH1C and the GR02 BE.  That person also picked the GR02.  So out of 4 people, 3 of the 4 picked the GR02 BE.  I am the loner that picked the MH1C.

All that matters is you like the MH1C better, as you will be the one using them. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,915 of 3,824
I purchased these through amazon for 26$ including shipping not too long ago, 46$ on ebay sounds like a pretty big markup.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,916 of 3,824
Hi friends my basic tutorial for recable sony mh1c, version ultra basic lol

"There was a problem submitting this to the server. Please try again."

Sorry I can't upload.. :\

http://i.imgur.com/PzfjlVS.jpg

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,917 of 3,824
Very nice job rggz 
size]
. Thank you for the guide.
I really love the sound of MH1C, but cannot use them on the go because of the cable. Can someone suggest IEM with similar signature for not more than 150$ and available in Europe or Japan (the shipping from US is just too much for me)?

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #1,919 of 3,824
Quote:
Very nice job rggz 
size]
. Thank you for the guide.
I really love the sound of MH1C, but cannot use them on the go because of the cable. Can someone suggest IEM with similar signature for not more than 150$ and available in Europe or Japan (the shipping from US is just too much for me)?

a recabled MH1c perhaps ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #1,920 of 3,824

Users who are viewing this thread

Back