[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,861 of 3,824
Quote:

Will it works? Yes, but only as a TTRS right angle adapter and not a smart adapter.

ohh i see, thanks a lot for the reply ClieOS, sorry for my ignorance but what does that mean, whats the difference of using a smart adapter ? and what about the one Mods12 linked ? ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EC250-Headphones-Adaptor-1249-0456/dp/B009HW15UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359087953&sr=8-1 )

thanks in advance for the patience =)

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,862 of 3,824
Quote:
ohh i see, thanks a lot for the reply ClieOS, sorry for my ignorance but what does that mean, whats the difference of using a smart adapter ? and what about the one Mods12 linked ? ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EC250-Headphones-Adaptor-1249-0456/dp/B009HW15UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359087953&sr=8-1 )

thanks in advance for the patience =)

Yes, this one will work as a smart adapter.

OMTP 3.5mm plug is wired like this: left-right-mic-ground.
CTIA 3.5mm plug is however: left-right-ground-mic.

So it only takes a swap on the last two pins to make them compatible to each others. CTIA is the current industrial standard among cellphone maker except for Nokia, which still prefers to pack their cellphone with the outdated OMTP socket. CTIA is also compatible to most other audio source out there so you can see why they are getting much more popular these days.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,863 of 3,824
I ordered a pair of mh1 from g plushk 24$ and that adapter on amazon you said would work as a smart adapter for 5$ for the people that did order from g plushk did you order come yet and is it a safe site to use it does look a little fishy

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,864 of 3,824
Quote:

So it only takes a swap on the last two pins to make them compatible to each others. CTIA is the current industrial standard among cellphone maker except for Nokia, which still prefers to pack their cellphone with the outdated OMTP socket. CTIA is also compatible to most other audio source out there so you can see why they are getting much more popular these days.

ahh i understand now man, thanks again !

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,865 of 3,824
Quote:

so if you open the jack of a mh1 and rewire it then it would work on ctia devices ?

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,866 of 3,824

Right when MH1 ‘LiveSound’ was first announced ...............

Quote:

Originally Posted by listenCarefully /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dude, what you really should get hip to are professional Genelec active studio monitors. After being a musician for 15 years and then an audiophile for another 10,  I sort of became an expert on hi-end audio gear (not bragging, I simply learned a LOT). Anyway, I put together a system worth about $15,000-$20,000 which was EASILY in the same league as the average $50,000 system that a salesman in a hi end audio store could put together. THEN... I discovered pro audio (in particular the newest state of the art Genelec DSP active studio monitors and matching subs). For about $8000 I now have a system that, by a wide margin, smokes  my previous equipment (which was already a significant "bang for the buck"). In fact it will trounce ANY "audiophile" equipment under $100,000 (And that's not an idle boast. I've heard all the very best stuff (Mark Levninson, Krell, Sonus Faber, YBA, Sonic Frontiers,  Wilson, Thiel, Marin Logan etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)). There is now no question in my mind that...
the audiophile world is one HUGE ripoff. Image and flash and little to no substance (compared to what can be had if one educates themselves). 

BTW, analyzing the MH1s in terms of  "instrument separation", "top end extension" and the like does them an injustice. Selenium had the right idea when he hinted that the correct way to judge the MH1's was in terms of how SATISFYING they are. Never mind the academic comparisons to other stuff. It's all about musical SATISFACTION. 

its very pleasant and encouraging to know that thanks to the internet i get access to these type of material, as a thirld world "on a budget" student i am very grateful to both of you. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,867 of 3,824
i'm so confused this is my phone pinout http://pinouts.ru/HeadsetsHeadphones/samsung_i9100_headset.shtml is compatible?
and if you compare MH1C with these 3 headsets:

[COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR]. http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-vPulse-Headphones-Inline-Microphone/dp/B006CVF1P0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358882075&sr=1-1&keywords=velodyne+vpulse
ir

[COLOR=FF0000]2. http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER7-MC2-BLACK-AN-A-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B007TCXGXK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
ir

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]3. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Headset/dp/B003YKG2XW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358884427&sr=1-2&keywords=ue500
ir

[/COLOR]

which one is the best ? pro's and cons

Dsnuts had the Vpulse and he said it wasn't that great. I've got the UE 700 and it's at the opposite end of the spectrum when compared to the MH1c. The UE is a treble monster with a good sized sound stage and instrument seperation. It has some siblence and to me, a bit bass light with music that is bass driven. The Sony has moderate to heavy bass, decent sized soundstage some sparkle, but instrument seperation is not as good. There is no siblence on the Sony. If you can deal with a spongy wire that has the cable splitter put on sideways, I'd take the Sony.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,868 of 3,824
Quote:
so if you open the jack of a mh1 and rewire it then it would work on ctia devices ?

It will be very difficult to do, but it is possible.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,869 of 3,824
Quote:

It will be very difficult to do, but it is possible.

Well i don't need to to that because my MH1 works fine with my iPhone 5 

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,870 of 3,824
Well I purchased these when this thread was only a few pages. I liked the sound but they have been in the drawer ever since because of the cable. I finally got up the nerve and cut the cable off and will be recabling them. I have an old dead pair of Denon 700s laying around. It has one of the best cables ever. I will let everyone know how it works out.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,872 of 3,824
Quote:
What do you mean it works fine with your iPhone 5?  You are getting full functionality with the Remote Control Functions:

Remote Control Functions : Microphone, Play, Pause, Forward, Rewind, Take call, End call, Volume, LiveKey™

No only audio and mic, remote doesn't work. People say that the mh1 only gives good audio with idevices if you keep the center button pushed but with my iPhone 5 it gives good audio without having to push the center button. 

btw audio and mic works also fine with the iPhone 4s of my brother.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,874 of 3,824
Selling my MH1c in the UK if anyone wants them.

Used once... no shirt clip.

PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back