Review: Sony MDR-7550
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #243 of 255
Somebody compare EX800 vs Siny XBA A3?
What are the differences beetween them in bass quality, quantity, soundstage, mids and higs?

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #245 of 255
I love the sound of EX800. They are so detailed and so natural sounding. When i Iisten EX800 and then change to MH1C, MH1C sounds so tiny. Reproduction of instrument in EX800 are amazing, you can hear every note of guitar, violon, percussion and every note is different. You can even hear and localize the height and arrangement of each part of percussion.
When i listen to songs The Beatles - Oh my Darling, or Paganini, my jaw just drop every time, it is like magic happens. You want to hear every single song in your collection to hear how it should sound.

Bass in strong and extremely good in quality, but Audio Fischer Silver Bullets are better when it comes to reproduction the lowest of the low notes of bass. They also have much better volume in this very low bass (20,25 HZ).

I am wondering if Z5 or A3 are the little upgrade in bass, because mids, highs and soundstage is perfect for me. Sens IE8 are a competition for EX800?

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #246 of 255
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #247 of 255
I'm sorry for not responding to you about that matter sooner, but for now I'd leave it with that 800st+A3= covers 99% of any genre and use case you can meet. the two complements each other so well.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #251 of 255
There could be a difference in the driver as well... however since removing the nozzle dampers produces exactly the sound the EX1000 appears to have compared to the stock EX800ST (more detail, bigger, airier, more soundstage but also brighter treble) I'd rather think they used the same drivers with differences in the casing and damping. It makes sense when you check out the graphs too (they are almost the same with almost the same resonances etc. except for the treble being a few db dampened).

Generally speaking with good sounding recordings the sound without nozzle filters is absolutely marvelous - no comparison to the stock EX800ST (EX1000 anyone?). With crappy recordings or more modern music the sound can at times be fatiguing though - especially for longer listening sessions (well... I guess EX1000 again?). I've tried doing my own DIY filters to get the sound to be more of a mix between the two:

The default foam cylinders have a very very subtle impact (with the plastic disks removed). Depending on what music you prefer listening to, these might not even be needed at all or be enough to tame the treble that tiny bit (basically I'd say this is for the people who don't mind the treble of the EX1000).

Rolling up a ~5x15mm strip of (dried) alcohol swab and inserting them into the nozzles will have a surprisingly big effect on the sound. The sound is not as big anymore, treble is tamed quite a bit (but I can't compare it to the stock EX800STs anymore of course). For me that was a bit much as the sound got noticeably less big and more veiled compared to no filter.

IMG_9325.jpg

Next up was shortening the strip to ~5x8mm so that when wrapped overlaps just a little compared to before. Sound opens up more again, treble is less congested. I'm surprised how much of a difference this makes to the twice as long piece.

Wrapping the original foam cylinders in the ~5 x 8mm strip from above gives a sound that lies somewhere between the 2 options above. Cutting the strip even slimmer to around ~2.5-3 x 8mm (so not covering the whole foam cylinder) appears to be my favorite so far though. I can't notice much of a difference in soundstage and the treble is reduced just ever so slightly as not to be so fatiguing on longer listening sessions.

IMG_9324.jpg

Next up was a micropore band stuck over the nozzle (without the original foam cylinder I should mention). I tried 3 variants so far. Completely covering the nozzle, poking a small hole into the middle of the band and only covering around 70% of the nozzle. I liked all three of those options quite a bit. They allow to fine tune the sound and genereally are not affecting the airiness, soundstage and treble too much. It looks a bit ghetto though.

IMG_9323.jpg

I think I'll stick to the original foam cylinders wrapped in the 3x8mm swab strip for now. That combined with my "Tape mod 2.0" makes them sound like much bigger headphones such as my GS1000.

so, almost a year ago from your post, I’m getting a pair from
Amazon jp in a couple of days and tbh ill junp
Almost right away for your mods, the one for treble I kind of relate, I have a pair of imr zeniths which have a massive spike around 5k as well, I got to tame it with a more “spacious” micropore option, didn’t sacrifice much soundstage nor airiness, im actually quite excited to try it. Anything else you’ve been toying around with this pair? I’ve got xba z5 and after reading so many impressions, I pulled the trigger for this and am saving for the ex1000 as well

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #252 of 255
What does the mod (removing foam+it's plastic ring) do to the bass? Subbass (say under 40Hz) sounds ok with original foam and ring. But 50-100Hz I EQ down until any boominess disappears.

Does the boominess caused by tape-vent mod change into more bass-detail after foam&ring removed??

I only listen to UK drill:) now. I do not care too much about changes in treble. I EQ it till not annoying anyway.

THX in advance for any input !!!

Peace _\|/_ from AMS

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #253 of 255
hi. any specific cable materials (copper, copper/spc, silver, etc.) that benefits the mdr 7550? planning to use it on sony wm1a balanced. any response is greatly appreciated.
Hi. I'm a custom cable maker. In short: there're 2 best conductors, Silver and Copper. Silver is 7% more conductive than Copper and it's certainly audible. Absolutely best cable would be: pure Silver wires; TeCu or OFC connectors and plug (ideally, Silver-plated too); Oyaide SS-47 Silver Solder; Cryogenically treated. Balanced plug only. Pure Silver cable will blow your socks off: it maxes out any IEM sound - resolution and amount of details are much higher, while everything else sounds very well balanced, but better. "Second best" would be Pure Copper cable, in "" because it's worth having both Silver and Copper cables due to a unique sound each provides. In short: Silver = reference grade sound; Copper = warmer, smoother sound. You can micro-tune any IEM sound with different cables and Eartips. Cryogenic treatment is very important, it makes a minor difference by making sound super smooth and polished. Very minor, but it's there. I consider Nobunaga Labs Brahma (Silver) and Wedgwood (Copper) benchmarks of quality and sound: hand made in Japan; high purity wire and solder; Cryogenically treated. There're a lot of hi-end cables out there, 500$, 1000$, 1500$ but rarely anyone does the last step.

May 24, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #254 of 255
Very very late to the party, I luckily got the last stock from amazon US for ~$337 in SGD (~240 USD).

Definitely overpriced but seems like it is discontinued? I had searched around but none are selling it new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back