Review: Sony MDR-7550
May 2, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #181 of 255
  Would you guys consider this a good upgrade to the gr07?

Not if you like sparkly highs...

...yes if you like a wide soundstage.

May 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #182 of 255
Agreed with above. I have the AN16 which is not quite as good as GR07 but uses the same driver and I already notice the 7550 has smooth and not quite as bright highs. Depending on the track, the treble loses sparkle if it's not partially emphasized in the song. I came from Phonak PFE which had nice sparkly, smooth treble. The EX1000 would be a better upgrade if you want better sound stage without losing treble.

May 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #183 of 255
sorry wrong thread.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #185 of 255
  getting the 7550  from a fellow headfier

tried the xb90ex yesterday against the vsonic gr07 classics
and what a contrast:
xb90ex have great bass attack but are lacking in details, layers
that the vsonics  bring to the table...but the vsonics
lack the bass and are a bit bright a times.

i already have the sibling related sony 7520 cans...so will be interesting to see
how these 7550 iems fare (and also just got in the etymotic ER4PT as well.
so should make for some interesting listening.)

question: can one upgrade the cables and would it really make
that much of a diff? or is this still nebulous 'voodoo' science?

Well, as far as I know, the 7550 uses the same type replaceable cable as the EX1000.

I too have been wondering if a new cable might make a difference. Not so much in regards to the material or the gauge of the cabling, etc. But instead, I'm wondering what a balanced cable would do for the 7550. Perhaps something like this:

http://www.beataudiocables.com/cables/silver-sonic-mkv.html

I currently use a Sony ZX2, and those who switch to a balanced cable (which is usually associated with much, MUCH more expensive IEMs) swear a blue streak that the details and instrument separation really do go up a notch. Couple that with the general wisdom that silver is a better conductor than copper and supposedly allows for more clarity and detail, and my interest is piqued.

On the other hand, pairing a $200 USD cable with a $200 USD IEM might just be a fools errand. I certainly can't reach a reasonable conclusion sight unseen. Er, I mean, sound unheard.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #186 of 255
well just got in my 7550s...first impressions:
love the balance...still bassy, but not overwhelming subbass or midbass ...and lots of details.

just wish it was an easier insert: why couldn't sony make it like the trinity deltas
 or dunu or something just easy to fit it....even like their xb90ex...not those frankenbolts with the hook
that make placement a bitch (esp like me if one of your ear canals is not so easy to get seal on)

seal not the best either...still fiddling

i've heard of people blocking the ports and doing pin pricks thru the tape seal...does that enhance the bass?

lastly, of tips, any suggested silicone ones (i prefer those over foam) that work well or better than the stock sony
...i'm a med-large

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #187 of 255
  just wish it was an easier insert: why couldn't sony make it like the trinity deltas

Thanks for your feedback. May I ask if you can compare 7550 with Delta in terms of sound?

I'd also really appreciate if someone could compare 7550 to the newer H3/A2/A3 hybrids. I'm choosing something for jazz, soul, funk and classical to use with iBasso DX50. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #188 of 255

Thanks for your feedback. May I ask if you can compare 7550 with Delta in terms of sound?

I'd also really appreciate if someone could compare 7550 to the newer H3/A2/A3 hybrids. I'm choosing something for jazz, soul, funk and classical to use with iBasso DX50. Thanks!

sorry not familiar with any of those iems' sound...i was paying more attention to the fit/form factor, based on what i'd read.

there are lots of reviews on the 7550 in the bassheads forum, however
nice  helpful group there:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club/4335#post_12347562
...so you might wish to ask there for better replies as i'm fairly new to audio.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #190 of 255

well i just got the trinity delta v2 in for a listen...tried 3 different filters, grey, purple damped, gold damped
...imo they can't really compete against the sonys for detail, balance and bass slam, all in one.

just as i was about to give my sonys away, whining as i was about them not being truly portable with the frankenbolt design (not flush to ear, blah blah)
i've had an about face, and have decided to keep them

outgoing are the trinity delta v2

however incoming are the flc 8s, massdrop hifiman r00 and ve monks plus. (all 3 i felt just compelled to try out)
wink.gif

...then i'm going to just chill and close shop for a bit.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #192 of 255
Regarding: MDR-7550 vs SE535

I know OP had done the comparison with SE535. However, didn't find any comparison how the soundstage is (imaging is better on SE535, but is soundstage wider?)
Would be really interested in hearing about it.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #195 of 255
I am thinking of getting the 7550s, but am looking to switch out the wires to an after market one. I understand that the connectors are proprietary, what options are there in aliexpress etc that I can explore? I do see people selling only the connectors online tho but am wondering how does an after market cable connect to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back