[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #136 of 296
Nice review, I'm def I shure fan boy. My first pair was SCL-2's, then I moved up the 3's then the 4's now I'm rockin the SE535's. I love them. My 4's were my everyday buds but they just crapped out :/ The wire is broken on them. The SE215's look like they have improved alot since I had my 2' series

Yep, SE215 is definitely one of the most VFM product Shure ever makes, or perhaps the only one so far.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #138 of 296
I recently got these after reading all the reviews that i've seen around here, and they sound as good as everyone has said they would.
Problem is though, after about an hour of listening the casing causes quite noticeable discomfort in the outer part of my ear.  Is this something that you get used to over time or do I just not have the ears for these? 

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #139 of 296
Yep, you'll get used to it (or you never will). Good practice not to use IEM for too long and give your ears a break from time to time.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #142 of 296
I have to say now that I'm on fourth pair of these, only one broke however, that they have definetly stood the test of time, I keep going back to these for travel.

But I must say the last pair I bought had actually showed me a stark difference in cable quality from the clear to the black version(admittedly the black cable seems to have been upgraded now).

The clear cable is more memory prone, it has a smaller diameter and is much harder by comparison to the black version i bought recently which is incredibly soft, slightly springy, memory free. I would usually not take too much notice over this but I have noticed with ergo fit monitors the memory wire makes a huge difference.

In the clear there is a visible piece of wire, however for the new black version i received the wire is incredibly soft. Which is a good thing, it can keep memory well but it doesn't do this so much that it forces the monitor into parts of your ear as the clear version did.

Does anyone have an explanation for this difference between models?
(although just their cables, sound is similar throughout)

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #143 of 296
ClieOS
i am looking for a good precise headphone with good bass under the $100 mark. i listen to basically all genres but i guess i have a slight lean towards trance. I am currently looking at a couple of headphones & i was hoping you & everyone else who's owned a pair of them can narrow down the choice for me.
My choices are
Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE
Audio-Technica ATH-CKS90
Shure SE215
ThinkSound TS01 & Rain
JLAB J.Fi

i usually try any new headphones & speakers with Susana feat.Omnia & The Blizzard - Closer (Original Mix Edit) because for me it helps evaluate most if not all frequency ranges. i used to use Senheisser CX300 & its been really good to me but now that its almost dead, its time to move up a little bit. i got Creative's EP-830 as a gift but i didn't like it much because it emphasizes on higher frequency more with very poor bass performance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #145 of 296
Quote:
Etymotic isn't known for its bass for sure, but this is largely depended on individual's taste. Phonak will make for a good alternative for Etymotic if you like analytical sound but wanted some slightly better in bass.

Sorry about highjacking the thread!

How would you compare the Phonak PFE111 to the GR07s? I am currently using the JVC FXD80s and the Yamaha EPH100s. I do like them a lot. especially the details on the JVC and the instrument separation and soundstage on the yamahas. But I feel (mostly on the JVCs) that they have a little mid bass hump with interferes with the mids a bit. I would also prefer may be a little more forward mids. Will the phonaks or the GR07s be an upgrade to the onces I am already using? Which one would you prefer and why?
I am looking for something with tight and highly controlled bass (good sub bass extension) but no bass interference with the mids,
not recessed mids (good with vocals, like the shures), and sparkly high (but not sibilant). What would you recommend for $150 USD?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #146 of 296
Sorry about highjacking the thread!

How would you compare the Phonak PFE111 to the GR07s? I am currently using the JVC FXD80s and the Yamaha EPH100s. I do like them a lot. especially the details on the JVC and the instrument separation and soundstage on the yamahas. But I feel (mostly on the JVCs) that they have a little mid bass hump with interferes with the mids a bit. I would also prefer may be a little more forward mids. Will the phonaks or the GR07s be an upgrade to the onces I am already using? Which one would you prefer and why?
I am looking for something with tight and highly controlled bass (good sub bass extension) but no bass interference with the mids,
not recessed mids (good with vocals, like the shures), and sparkly high (but not sibilant). What would you recommend for $150 USD?

GR07 fits what you are describing better than PFE111. In fact, I'll say GR07 is better than PFE in every way, except on treble detail retrieval. Never heard the FXD80 so I can't comment on it. But I do have EPH-100, which is more of an fun sounding, high dynamic IEM rather than an accurate sounding IEM. It is a great IEM for simple music enjoyment, but can come short when compare to either PFE111 or GR07 in technical ability.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #147 of 296
Quote:
GR07 fits what you are describing better than PFE111. In fact, I'll say GR07 is better than PFE in every way, except on treble detail retrieval. Never heard the FXD80 so I can't comment on it. But I do have EPH-100, which is more of an fun sounding, high dynamic IEM rather than an accurate sounding IEM. It is a great IEM for simple music enjoyment, but can come short when compare to either PFE111 or GR07 in technical ability.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate it.
I am thinking of upgrading. And I would love suggestions. Here is what I am thinking.
1. Vsonic GR01 for classical (lot of details)
2. GR07 for everything else (jazz and rock)

How would you compare the GR07 to Westone UM3?

I was also thinking of the TF10s but am not sure where would they fit in. May be for rock?
I mostly listen to rock, jazz, contemporary jazz, and alternative rock.

Will the TF10s be harsh?
I would like thank you for the most comprehensive IEM review that exists in this world. Great job!

Edit: I was just about to purchase the GR07s from lendmeurears on ebay but realized that they increased the price from $159 to $195! Is it a typo or is it for real? Would anybody know?

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #148 of 296
The hijacking continues. 
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #150 of 296
Quote:
I feel guilty now! 

Okay, here's a few threads I searched for ya. Oldies, but with some pertinent info; you can feel free to resurrect whatever ones you find useful.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553949/gr07-vs-se215-comparison-reviews-impressions

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622873/ue-tf10-vs-sure-425-vs-westone-3-4

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587450/vsonic-gr07-vs-klipsch-image-x10-vs-shure-se215

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617419/vsonic-gr07-mk2-or-triple-fi-10

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587120/question-about-ue-triple-fi-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back