[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Mar 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #106 of 296

Quote:
true, triple fi's can be found in that price range on ebay, and given that i was in love with the sf3s, i can image how amazing the tf's will be.....

The TF10 were as low as $119.95 on ebay, last I looked they were up to $129.95. There is always the option of checking the for sale thread here.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #107 of 296
i was taking a look at this which i found very helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-227-iems-compared-sony-xba-4sl-klipsch-x10-added-03-04-12#post_6492051

how about the creative aurvana 3, dual ba's? how would these perform with hip hop you think? i can get these at 100 euros at my door. i can also get the meeletronics a151 which are on sale at amazon, at 85 euros, for 3 more days... the above link does not praise the aurvanas that much, although i just love the idea of dual armatures, but does say pretty good stuff about the meele's. advantages of creatives over the meeles, is only that the creatives can be bought from a local dealer = 2 years warranty, but no warranty for meele's.. Clieos, do you recommend any of these 2, after knowing what i owned, and what i didn't like? any other BA on the same price range? (i am still analysing the link to find the best ones, i found that these 2 combine a lot of stuff together).. i should stick with BA's then, right?

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #108 of 296

Quote:
...vsonics look amazing and i can get them in greece but the 50 ohms impedance worries me that i will need an amp to use with them. am i right?

.. can you recommend headphones for me? most probably ba's as you previously said, and possibly with removable cables and over the ears that "dissapear within the dimensions of your ear (i.e. do not stick out) when you wear them?...

50ohm might look like a lot, but GR07 is actually fine without amping.

There are good BA based IEM under $200, but won't have the replaceable cable. You can't have everything when you have a limited budget. You'll have to figure out which feature you want the most, SQ, fit, cable, etc?

Quote:
i was taking a look at this which i found very helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-227-iems-compared-sony-xba-4sl-klipsch-x10-added-03-04-12#post_6492051

how about the creative aurvana 3, dual ba's? how would these perform with hip hop you think? i can get these at 100 euros at my door. i can also get the meeletronics a151 which are on sale at amazon, at 85 euros, for 3 more days... the above link does not praise the aurvanas that much, although i just love the idea of dual armatures, but does say pretty good stuff about the meele's. advantages of creatives over the meeles, is only that the creatives can be bought from a local dealer = 2 years warranty, but no warranty for meele's.. Clieos, do you recommend any of these 2, after knowing what i owned, and what i didn't like? any other BA on the same price range? (i am still analysing the link to find the best ones, i found that these 2 combine a lot of stuff together).. i should stick with BA's then, right?

Aurvana In-Ear3 is better than SE215. It has a similar mid centric sound signature - less dynamic than the Shure, but more accurate overall. Another dual BA to look for is the UE700. It offers similar SQ to In-Ear3 in a smaller package. 100 Euro for In-Ear3  is actually an okay price with local warranty. Unless you can find UE700 for a cheaper price, I think In-Ear3 should work out well for you. I won't recommend A151 for you for 85 Euro (which is a bit high on price).

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #109 of 296

Quote:
50ohm might look like a lot, but GR07 is actually fine without amping.

There are good BA based IEM under $200, but won't have the replaceable cable. You can't have everything when you have a limited budget. You'll have to figure out which feature you want the most, SQ, fit, cable, etc?

Aurvana In-Ear3 is better than SE215. It has a similar mid centric sound signature - less dynamic than the Shure, but more accurate overall. Another dual BA to look for is the UE700. It offers similar SQ to In-Ear3 in a smaller package. 100 Euro for In-Ear3  is actually an okay price with local warranty. Unless you can find UE700 for a cheaper price, I think In-Ear3 should work out well for you. I won't recommend A151 for you for 85 Euro (which is a bit high on price).

again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer to my questions.

ok noted for the vsonics.. i can get them in Greece for 120 euros from ebay (though no warranty).

yes i understand i can't have anything in that price, i think i would sacrifice the detachable cables for better quality and soundstage. afterall i am so careful with my stuff generally, and my sf3's cable broke after 3 years, so i doubt i'd be needing the replacement cable..

i have come to a point where i do want just the best earphones for my budget, and i accept getting less comforts in the package. i thought i could have it all with the 215s, but i didn't get the most important thing for me, sound quality.

ok for the ue700, had already checked them out, they look pretty nice i would buy them, i can get them at the same price as the vsonic gr07 (again from ebay, again without warranty) question here: since vsonics and ue700s are at the same price for me, which ones should i get? is there a definite answer you can give me? the vsonics for me have a little better design as it looks like they won't stick out of the ears at all, whereas the ue700 might stick a little bit out (so cannot wear with helmet, which is also a must for me in the summer-bike trips)*edit: actually rechecking them now on photos where they are worn on headphone.com, they look that they are covered inside the whole ear, so please disregard that part)*. ue's also have quite high impedance at 40 ohms, but i am pretty sure they will sound louder than vsonics (plus vsonic are dynamic? - i thought  you recommended only ba's for me)

why do you dont recommend a151? is it because of the high price? (actually shipping from amazon to here is a rip-off) or for other sound quality reasons? because in the collective review link, they seem to be pretty good.

yes i would almost definately buy the aurvanas, but i understand they are new, and there is like one small review online and that's it, and in the collective review link, i read stuff i didn't like... (if you could please refer to that link and read a151 and aurvanas just for me, in order to understand my fears, i will mostly appreciate it...)

if aurvanas have a similar sound signature to the 215, just a bit more accurate, how come you think i'll find them of my liking? will they have more "complete" sound in my ears? better quality bass than 215? go louder significantly louder and quieter with presses of volume buttons (like sf3s did)?

so let's break it down:

1) a151: 85 euros (no warranty)
2) aurvana: 105 euros (WITH warranty)
3) vsonic: 120 euros (no warranty)
4) ue 700: 120 euros (no warranty)
5) more options around that price? (example triple fi 10s at 155 euros, is that an option is should consifer paying the premium?)

*the fact that i take care of my stuff makes it also unlikely for me to have the need of the warranty within the 2 years, except if the earphones have a definite default, which hopefully none of them will, alla ebay sellers have 99,6-100% positive feedback.. so the fact that the aurvanas give me the warranty should not affect your thoughts and decision, lets really focus on just the best one.

thank you for your concern and expertise, i would appreciate if you could answer my questions, so that we decide together the best iem that would suit me.. you are already helping A LOT, i would just love it if we can make a definite decision....

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #110 of 296
Answered in BOLD.

Quote:
ok for the ue700, had already checked them out, they look pretty nice i would buy them, i can get them at the same price as the vsonic gr07 (again from ebay, again without warranty) question here: since vsonics and ue700s are at the same price for me, which ones should i get? is there a definite answer you can give me?

GR07 definitely sounds better than UE700, so recommending it is a no brainer. Though I do think you will likely to prefer BA more, GR07 is still much better than UE700 to offset my recommendation to you, even at a higher risk that you might still prefer a BA sound.

why do you dont recommend a151? is it because of the high price? (actually shipping from amazon to here is a rip-off) or for other sound quality reasons? because in the collective review link, they seem to be pretty good.

Because of the high price and it doesn't sound nearly as good as either In-Ear3 or UE700, so why bother?

1) a151: 85 euros (no warranty) - The least sounding in the group and too expensive.
2) aurvana: 105 euros (WITH warranty) - Safest choice for you.
3) vsonic: 120 euros (no warranty) - Best sounding in the group.
4) ue 700: 120 euros (no warranty) - Only consider this if you can get it at cheaper price than In-Ear3. Not likely the case here.
5) more options around that price? (example triple fi 10s at 155 euros, is that an option is should consifer paying the premium?) - TF10 is just too expensive over at Euro, not worth it when you have better choice.

I think the choices are down to GR07 and In-Ear3 for you.
In-Ear3, better warranty coverage, cheaper price, dual BA.
GR07, great reference sound, more expensive, warranty is oversea, risker choice.

To be safe, I think you should get the In-Ear3.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #111 of 296
thanks a million..

are you saying that the aurvanas and the vsonic are better than the tf10s?? you got me confused as to why i shouldnt look at these. is it because they are at 150 euros? or because the other 2-3 that i can get for 100 and 120 are better? wouldn't a triple armature be ok for my tastes? i am trying to avoid spending 150 euros, of course, i just want to understand whether and why you are ruling them out.

i am almost definately sure that you recommend the vsonics over the ue 700 even for me, just this part confused me a bit, so let me know if i understood correctly: Though I do think you will likely to prefer BA more, GR07 is still much better than UE700 to offset my recommendation to you, even at a higher risk that you might still prefer a BA sound.

you think the creatives will give me the sounds i am missing from the 215? do you consider the aurvanas a step up from the shures, even though  you praise those so high?

you think i should go for it, or it won't change much? you did not mention at all the collective review. it does seem unuppealing to buy the aurvanas... :frowning2:

if we agree that the 20 euros is not much a difference as opposed to having enjoyable iems, would you buy the vsonics over the aurvanas, sacrificing the warranty?

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #113 of 296

Quote:
are you saying that the aurvanas and the vsonic are better than the tf10s?? you got me confused as to why i shouldnt look at these. is it because they are at 150 euros? or because the other 2-3 that i can get for 100 and 120 are better? wouldn't a triple armature be ok for my tastes? i am trying to avoid spending 150 euros, of course, i just want to understand whether and why you are ruling them out.

IGR07 is better than TF10, no doubt on that. As for In-Ear3, I haven't compared it to TF10 yet but I'll say I personally like TF10 more. But you have to look at their price as well.If you prefer A to B by 5% by A is 50% more expensive, then the wiser choice will be to get B instead,

i am almost definately sure that you recommend the vsonics over the ue 700 even for me, just this part confused me a bit, so let me know if i understood correctly: Though I do think you will likely to prefer BA more, GR07 is still much better than UE700 to offset my recommendation to you, even at a higher risk that you might still prefer a BA sound.

Yes, I do think between GR07 and UE700, GR07 is the better choice.

you think the creatives will give me the sounds i am missing from the 215? do you consider the aurvanas a step up from the shures, even though  you praise those so high?

I like SE215 because it is great at its price point, not because it is the best sounding IEM ever (which it is not).

you think i should go for it, or it won't change much? you did not mention at all the collective review. it does seem unuppealing to buy the aurvanas... :frowning2:

if we agree that the 20 euros is not much a difference as opposed to having enjoyable iems, would you buy the vsonics over the aurvanas, sacrificing the warranty?

You have to make up your mind on your own, But between GR07 and In-Ear3, I will go for GR07 myself.

Quote:
ClieOS 
Which one would you prefer between the  VSonic GR07 and the Sony MDR-EX600 ?

I prefer GR07 by a big margin.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #116 of 296
Proof once again that browsing Head-Fi + Amazon + Vodka is not a good idea... :xf_eek:  Ordered.  These will probably replace my Meelec M6 for gym use. Will the difference be epic? o_O

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #117 of 296
Proof once again that browsing Head-Fi + Amazon + Vodka is not a good idea... :xf_eek:  Ordered.  These will probably replace my Meelec M6 for gym use. Will the difference be epic? o_O

The difference in sound signature will be. The M6 have recessed mids and the SE215 have forward mids. The SE215 have recessed treble and the M6 have forward treble. Defiantly going to sound different. The sound quality should be better. Epic better? I will let you make that call.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #118 of 296

Quote:
djalberthiphop said:

IGR07 is better than TF10, no doubt on that. As for In-Ear3, I haven't compared it to TF10 yet but I'll say I personally like TF10 more. But you have to look at their price as well.If you prefer A to B by 5% by A is 50% more expensive, then the wiser choice will be to get B instead,

Yes, I do think between GR07 and UE700, GR07 is the better choice.

I like SE215 because it is great at its price point, not because it is the best sounding IEM ever (which it is not).

You have to make up your mind on your own, But between GR07 and In-Ear3, I will go for GR07 myself.

thank you again, i'll stay on that:

leaving out for a bit the ue and the gr07. how would you compare the 215s with the aurvanas? understood that you like them for the price, but creatives have the same price as well. i am trying to figure out if it'll be a step up (for me), or not. i am guessing since you made a review on so many iems and chose 215 but no review on the aurvanas despite that you own them, that you are considering the shures better than the creatives? but you recommend the creatives because they are ba's and you think coming from sf3 that i should continue with ba's?

very important question: can you please please please compare the sizes of shures to the aurvanas? i have regular ears, and the 215s sit nicely in my ears, without sticking out. however, it looks from the pics that the aurvanas are a bit bigger, and i am not sure if they'll be able to fit in my ear. is it true that they are bigger? do you find them comfortable? could you possibly pm me a pic of your ear with the aurvana on, compared to the shure?

also, a little scary too thin cables on the aurvanas? you think they can handle careful use at gym? they do seem really thin....

sorry about all the trouble, i just want to be shure this time, and yes the warranty does seem very appealing and you said it's safer. i just have to be certain that i made the right choice, and that it WILL be a step up, and that they fit well....

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #119 of 296

Quote:
The difference in sound signature will be. The M6 have recessed mids and the SE215 have forward mids. The SE215 have recessed treble and the M6 have forward treble. Defiantly going to sound different. The sound quality should be better. Epic better? I will let you make that call.

EDM is usually my gym music of choice so guess I'll see how they fare. I'm all for variety. Can't wait to try them out. :)

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #120 of 296

Quote:
leaving out for a bit the ue and the gr07. how would you compare the 215s with the aurvanas? understood that you like them for the price, but creatives have the same price as well. i am trying to figure out if it'll be a step up (for me), or not. i am guessing since you made a review on so many iems and chose 215 but no review on the aurvanas despite that you own them, that you are considering the shures better than the creatives? but you recommend the creatives because they are ba's and you think coming from sf3 that i should continue with ba's?

...can you please please please compare the sizes of shures to the aurvanas? i have regular ears, and the 215s sit nicely in my ears, without sticking out. however, it looks from the pics that the aurvanas are a bit bigger, and i am not sure if they'll be able to fit in my ear. is it true that they are bigger? do you find them comfortable? could you possibly pm me a pic of your ear with the aurvana on, compared to the shure?

also, a little scary too thin cables on the aurvanas? you think they can handle careful use at gym? they do seem really thin....

sorry about all the trouble, i just want to be shure this time, and yes the warranty does seem very appealing and you said it's safer. i just have to be certain that i made the right choice, and that it WILL be a step up, and that they fit well....

I have not reviewed In-Ear3 because I haven't had the time to do so, not because I dislike it. I have over 20 pieces of gear that needed to be reviewed and I can only do so much so fast. I still have a day job to attend to.

I recommend BA to you as I am under the impression that you are more of a BA person (from what you have posted on SF3 and SE215 so far). But I am not you and only you can judge it for yourself.

In-Ear3 is actually almost the same size / slightly smaller than SE215. So if SE215 can fit your comfortably, then In-Ear3 should fit you just as well. Comfort wise, they are almost the same for me. SE215 might be a bit more comfortable because it has foam tips, but you can use foam tips on In-Ear3 as well.

I really won't recommend using In-Ear3 for gym. It is well built, but not for taking punishment. If you want something for the gym, better get a cheaper IEM that you know it won't break your heart or your bank account when it is broken.

SC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back