Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #422 of 436
Alright, I'm sold! I think the SE846 is almost perfect, I'm hoping full sleeves will allow them to improve to perfection! I think I'm going to do swirls... They just look absolutely beautiful.
Awesome! Add in your favorite cable of choice and Knowles Dampers, then I believe you’ll be superbly good to go! :beerchug:

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #423 of 436
Has anyone managed to get these done in the UK? If not, anyone know of where is best to get them done in the UK including initial impressions?
I’m using a company called custom iem in the uk m, to avoid postage and import taxes. Full sleeve for £120, excluding impressions. Will be a few weeks before they arrive.

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/iems/custom-fit-earphone-sleeves.php

I hope it’s ok to mention this in your thread :) as you put me onto sleeves in the first place :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #424 of 436
I’m using a company called custom iem in the uk m, to avoid postage and import taxes. Full sleeve for £120, excluding impressions. Will be a few weeks before they arrive.

I hope it’s ok to mention this in your thread :) as you put me onto sleeves in the first place :)

Let me know how you get on! I ended up using a company based in the north west whilst I got some filtered musicians plugs made up for going to gigs, along with the iem sleeves.

The sleeves are great for the train without a doubt but I have two main frustrations, the first being how tight they fit/sleeve over the IEM, I'm using Shure 425s, so I pull them out of my bag sometimes and they'll slip out the sleeve, similarly when putting in the same can happen. It's the cost of not having full moulds done and sealing your items completely.

They're more comfortable for longer periods and I've even used them on the plane a few time for watching films etc, you still get a bit of plane noise but dB wise the reduction is insane with them.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #425 of 436

No worries at all - I welcome all custom sleeve companies that are mentioned in this review thread, competitors or not. Please let us know how your entire experience turns out!

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #426 of 436
Hey guys,

I just opened an account to share my experience with the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for the SE846. I've been thinking about getting custom sleeves for a while now (mainly for a better isolation on stage) and finally decided to order them a few weeks ago (after reading tons of reviews).

EDIT: they turned out way bigger than expected. Now Sensaphonics is offering to remake them and I'm happy that they take the issue seriously. As a matter of fairness, I edited my original post. Sorry about that and thank you for replying!

I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #427 of 436
Hey guys,

I just opened an account to share my experience with the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for the SE846. I've been thinking about getting custom sleeves for a while now (mainly for a better isolation on stage) and finally decided to order them a few weeks ago (after reading tons of reviews).
I was well aware that the sleeves would stick out of the ear at least a little, but I was shocked when I received them yesterday:

https://imgur.com/a/HwDL6Os

Even when fully inserted and with the helix tucked in, that's almost 2cm (around 0,8 inches)!
So if anyone is having doubts about the size of the sleeves: they are HUGE and you are not going to be able to use them in any live environment without looking absolutely ridiculous.

The photos on their website are misleading – they are way bigger than shown! After getting in touch with Sensaphonics they are not going to adjust the sleeves. I just feel like I wasted 250 bucks on something I won't be able to use...

Has anyone had a similar experience?

(Edit: I'm sorry, the insert picture function doesn't seem to work)

Hi @thmmax - welcome to headfi :)

If you scroll back a few pages, you should find my comments where I describe the experience of having a couple of golf balls attached to the side of your head. These shells are comfy, but they certainly don't look as cool as just wearing the SE846 with regular SpinFit or Comply eartips. Perhaps that could become a thing though? There are artists that have become famous for wearing buckets or marshmellows on their heads :wink:

There's a bigger issue than aesthetics though. Those extra-long bores change the sound considerably (drops the frequency of the resonance peaks). It might be an improvement for some, but it wasn't for me :frowning2: I would highly recommend Sensaphonics for their custom sleep plugs and musician plugs (which you can deck out with various NRR Etymotic filters), but for me the custom shells for my SE846 and KSE1500 were both failed experiments. Such is life in custom land. It's always a crapshoot, because you can never try before you buy and you can never (understandably, to a degree) get a refund if you don't like the final product.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #428 of 436
Hi thmmax. The photo you posted does not show the IEM properly inserted into the ear canal, nor the helix tucked in. Not even close.
From the angle shown, it's hard to tell exactly what the issue might be. But yes, obviously something is wrong.
Maybe other SCS users here can advise.
Have you considered seeing your audiologist for a fitting?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #429 of 436
Hey guys,

thanks for replying! Happy to be here :)
@ csglinux: the sleeves are definitely comfortable and the quality is amazing! I also understand that Sensaphonics can't offer a refund on custom made products, but I really think the photos on their website are kind of misleading...

@ JackKontney: thanks for your reply as well! It might look like the sleeves are not fully inserted on the photo (edited), but they are 100% in (even checked with my audiologist today). There's a very tight seal and the comfort of the sleeves is supreme. If it wasn't for the look...

EDIT: as Sensaphonics got in touch with me and offers to remake the sleeves, I edited my post as a matter of fairness.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #432 of 436
@ JackKontney: thanks for replying! They are in touch with me and I'm happy that they take the issue seriously :)

Hope you guys understand that I edited my first post, I was just really frustrated about the way they turned out...
I hope you will fully enjoy the SCS when all is said and done!

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #433 of 436
Thank you so much @moedawg140 for your reply and the incredibly helpful review of the sleeves (which played a big part in my decision to order them :ksc75smile:). As I already said, the quality and isolation of the sleeves is really amazing! Right now, I'm just hoping that Sensaphonics will manage to make them a little smaller...

They're still traveling (things take some time with the Austrian postal service :sweat_smile:) but I'll keep you updated!

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #434 of 436
Hey guys,

the Austrian Post finally managed to get my package to Chicago a few days ago :beyersmile:
Since then, I've been in touch with Sensaphonics a few times and they really tried their best to make the sleeves fit, but obviously my ears are just too small to get both the IEM and the sleeve in :triportsad:

The team has really been nice (as others have already mentioned here) and I think we found a solution that works for both of us.
Anyways, thanks again for your help and I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #435 of 436
Hey guys,

the Austrian Post finally managed to get my package to Chicago a few days ago :beyersmile:
Since then, I've been in touch with Sensaphonics a few times and they really tried their best to make the sleeves fit, but obviously my ears are just too small to get both the IEM and the sleeve in :triportsad:

The team has really been nice (as others have already mentioned here) and I think we found a solution that works for both of us.
Anyways, thanks again for your help and I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

I'm just curious.
What was the solution...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back