[REVIEW]: Sensaphonics 3MAX Silicone Shelled Custom-Fit Stage Monitor And Sensaphonics Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #31 of 77
Very interesting case history. Thanks for sharing, lindrone!

Quick note on moisture: Every person is different, but there are individuals who produce body oils that can seep into their IEMs and build up over time. For those in that situation, we strongly recommend the aggressive and ongoing use of a desiccant system like Dry & Store.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Quick note on moisture: Every person is different, but there are individuals who produce body oils that can seep into their IEMs and build up over time. For those in that situation, we strongly recommend the aggressive and ongoing use of a desiccant system like Dry & Store.

Ordered Dry & Store a bunch of drying wicks today :)

All ready for my next pair!!!

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #35 of 77
Quote:
Ordered Dry & Store a bunch of drying wicks today :)

All ready for my next pair!!!

Be sure to report back when you get your new set!

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 77
I am interested in these  because of the isolation they offer as well as sound quality.

I am looking for some earphones that could be used for shooting as well as Motorcycle riding.

It looks like they would be good for these activities.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 77
Nice review Chris! I just got a set of 3MAX in the other day, and I'm loving them already. I'll have more to say regarding specifics at a later date, but let me just assure everyone who is wondering about how these "lowly" triple driver customs stack up to others with 4, 5, 6, or more drivers.... Thus far, the 3MAX is not embarrased by any of my other high end customs, at any price and any driver count. Period.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #38 of 77
Quote:
Nice review Chris! I just got a set of 3MAX in the other day, and I'm loving them already. I'll have more to say regarding specifics at a later date, but let me just assure everyone who is wondering about how these "lowly" triple driver customs stack up to others with 4, 5, 6, or more drivers.... Thus far, the 3MAX is not embarrased by any of my other high end customs, at any price and any driver count. Period.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your impressions and comments.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #39 of 77
Quote:

I maybe the unfortunate one for 2x-s. I used 2 pairs of 2x-s, and each one last only 2 years. No matter how carefully I cleaned the tubes each time after using, the ear oil eventually flood the speakers.

The ear wax that I can clean is only solid. I can do nothing on oil that congealed from vapour .  I can see the oil fully around the speakers but can do nothing with them. I used the oil sticks, but seemed quite far from adequate. I heat them in oven (slightly higher than body temperature), but simply no evidence of vaporizing. Finally I used vacuum pump, I pumped out some oil and watched them, I think I never expect that my body can produce so much pure oil so silently.

The most intricate thing is, I think, why the oil can be congealed easy from vapour, but can not be vaporized again forever?

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

I maybe the unfortunate one for 2x-s. I used 2 pairs of 2x-s, and each one last only 2 years. No matter how carefully I cleaned the tubes each time after using, the ear oil eventually flood the speakers.

The ear wax that I can clean is only solid. I can do nothing on oil that congealed from vapour .  I can see the oil fully around the speakers but can do nothing with them. I used the oil sticks, but seemed quite far from adequate. I heat them in oven (slightly higher than body temperature), but simply no evidence of vaporizing. Finally I used vacuum pump, I pumped out some oil and watched them, I think I never expect that my body can produce so much pure oil so silently.

The most intricate thing is, I think, why the oil can be congealed easy from vapour, but can not be vaporized again forever?

You need to invent some earplug Dooosh!

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #41 of 77
Same as ghostwing here, I have very very little solid build up of wax in my ear canals, but over time it would surely build up around the drivers (the tubes are pretty much clean) and 2 years sounds correct since that's what happened to all my pairs.

I thought failure occured from crack in the case and eventually having wire cut because of the soft shell flexibility. But clearly, I seem to be part of that group with oil that sips in from heat /sweat. I really want to go back to silicone iems but 2 years is a little short life for 1kUSD+. Using anti moisture bags would help slow this down then?

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:
Same as ghostwing here, I have very very little solid build up of wax in my ear canals, but over time it would surely build up around the drivers (the tubes are pretty much clean) and 2 years sounds correct since that's what happened to all my pairs.

I thought failure occured from crack in the case and eventually having wire cut because of the soft shell flexibility. But clearly, I seem to be part of that group with oil that sips in from heat /sweat. I really want to go back to silicone iems but 2 years is a little short life for 1kUSD+. Using anti moisture bags would help slow this down then?

GhostWing and arnaud --

It is quite a small percentage, but there are certainly people's whose body chemistry manifests itself in oils much more than cerumen (wax). For these customers, Sensaphonics recommends an aggressive and ongoing program of desiccant use. Standard desiccant canisters are not very effective in some circumstances. We have had reports of success in using the Dry & Store Zephyr electronic desiccant system, though nothing like what I would call documented proof of effectiveness. It is, however, a demonstrably stronger desiccant system. Moisture wicks alone don't seem to win the battle in the long run - at least in stubborn cases. It seems the key is to not let the buildup to start.

BTW, silicone earpieces don't "crack." (Cases of tearing, especially in versions with a permanently attached cable, have occurred.) On a related note, our IEMs have been shown to be more reliable since Sensaphonics began using a coaxial plug-in cable system about a year ago. As part of that, a new gasket system inside the coax connector is designed to minimize the migration of body oils toward the drivers.

It's a vexing problem to those who face it, for silicone and acrylic designs alike. Give us a call if you'd like to discuss your situation directly.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #43 of 77
Quote:
GhostWing and arnaud --

It is quite a small percentage, but there are certainly people's whose body chemistry manifests itself in oils much more than cerumen (wax). For these customers, Sensaphonics recommends an aggressive and ongoing program of desiccant use. Standard desiccant canisters are not very effective in some circumstances. We have had reports of success in using the Dry & Store Zephyr electronic desiccant system, though nothing like what I would call documented proof of effectiveness. It is, however, a demonstrably stronger desiccant system. Moisture wicks alone don't seem to win the battle in the long run - at least in stubborn cases. It seems the key is to not let the buildup to start.

BTW, silicone earpieces don't "crack." (Cases of tearing, especially in versions with a permanently attached cable, have occurred.) On a related note, our IEMs have been shown to be more reliable since Sensaphonics began using a coaxial plug-in cable system about a year ago. As part of that, a new gasket system inside the coax connector is designed to minimize the migration of body oils toward the drivers.

It's a vexing problem to those who face it, for silicone and acrylic designs alike. Give us a call if you'd like to discuss your situation directly.

I like the permanently attached cable. My past 2 pairs were, and will be that if a future pair. According to the chariness that I show to my IEMs, Cases of tearing never occurred, and will never occur.

But with your post. Do you mean if I use your replaceable cable, it will help to some extent to my oil buildup problem? I have never imagined this.

BTW, regard to your post time, are you not in American main land?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #44 of 77
Generally speaking, tearing is not a problem with proper care. The permanently attached cable is only an issue for people who repeatedly extract their IEMs by pulling on the cable rather than by grasping the body of the earpiece. Some customers prefer the integral cable because of the lower profile appearance.

Regarding oil build-up, Sensaphonics doesn't have enough data to state definitively which version offers better protection from oil build-up. All we can say for sure is that, for those with a known issue in this area, we see the best preventive results with the consistent use of the Dry & Store Zephyr (or similar strong desiccant system) from the time of acquisition.

Oh, and I'm in the Chicago area.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #45 of 77
Hi Jack, could you like to do an estimate that, if I use Dry & Store Zephyr to dry my 2x-s, It can put out the oil layer between gel body and armatures? What I worry about is :1. The oil 's boiling point seemed not low enough; 2. the oil are closed in an almost airtight structure, no vent at all.

Or, all are counted on one thing that you had mentioned: "It seems the key is to not let the buildup to start".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back