[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #152 of 509
I just did experiment yesterday night. What i did is cutting a very soft cloth the same cloth used for speaker cover. I made it 2 very small pieces just enough to cover each tiny metal mesh on the housing. After that i just stick the rubber tip back in place. I do notice the difference. The highs is a tad smoother. Less sharp. The problem is...the mids somehow is less open (is more noticeable during louder volume). And the bass is getting more dominant. Looks like the bass a bit covering the mids. Just a bit. I am not sure. But i can tell there were something going on between the mids and the lows. I still prefer without the cover though.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #153 of 509
tried the complies.. so far it was a success. the sound depends on how u cut the complies.. too thick will make the sound or bass muffled.. Thin will be alright. But ime, at the expense of clarity and somehow the signature is changed (becomes dark). I would've almost preferred it over tg334 & 1plus2 if it weren't the sibilance..

Anyways, thank very much Inks!

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #155 of 509
Quote:
tried the complies.. so far it was a success. the sound depends on how u cut the complies.. too thick will make the sound or bass muffled.. Thin will be alright. But ime, at the expense of clarity and somehow the signature is changed (becomes dark). I would've almost preferred it over tg334 & 1plus2 if it weren't the sibilance..

Anyways, thank very much Inks!

Did you try your Studio V 3rd Ani. with the IE800? I like this combo very much!

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #156 of 509
IPod touch 3G through silver LOD to Apex Glacier is really the best combo I have ever tried, surprisingly better than iPod classic with apx glacier with the same LOD.. Couldn't leave the combo and listened to it for a full 5 hours.. Satisfied :thumbsup:

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #157 of 509
I´ve noticed that a flat -5 dB EQ @ low frequencies works quite nice with the IE800 for home use. In a silent room otherwise the bass rumble is just too much in many songs. I´ve mostly started using my IE800 outdoors where it performs superbly: the bass masks outside noise better than my deep-fit Shure 215´s. It actually sounds a lot more neutral outside. For home use I feel the EX1000 is ultimately a more balanced performer, even though it is somewhat genre limited as well.

PS: Tried watching a high production values TV show with the IE800 yesturday and was stunned how well they seem to do TV/movies! The bass is really like having a subwoofer in your living room and it never really gets annoying to me either.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #158 of 509
soullinker20,

I think it's time for you to ditch all those sibilant recordings/albums!  :wink:

maybe you're right

Did you try your Studio V 3rd Ani. with the IE800? I like this combo very much!

Yes I tried them and they work fine.. It's just my tracks. But i don't have problems with my tracks on tg334 and 1plus2 unlike ie800

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #159 of 509
Nah IE800 itself is sibilant, no need to blame the recordings as a scapegoat. Damping helps but that big 5.5 spike and at times the 10k spike makes it sibilant. Still pretty good treble though, very airy. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #160 of 509
Nah IE800 itself is sibilant, no need to blame the recordings as a scapegoat. Damping helps but that big 5.5 spike and at times the 10k spike makes it sibilant. Still pretty good treble though, very airy. 

This was really a bothersome to me..

Thanks anyways, in fact 7 of my friends have confirmed that it was sibilant to them

The complies really helped a lot .. but i lost a lot of clarity which left me unsatisfied so just back to tg334 and wait for my Miracles

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #161 of 509
I just had a quick demo on this earphone. I am um3x user since sep 2010. The moment I plug this in (Sansa Clip+) and play some tracks I usually listen to recently. The first impression I get was the bass was bloated. It sounded like the low is covering up the rest. Could the reason that my ear is too used to um3x sound signature or this is the different between dynamic and balance armature? 

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #162 of 509
Quote:

I'd love to have someone explain Tyll's IE800 graph to me. From my experience, the IE800 sounded quite sharp / sibilant when I first tried them with deeper insertion, but actually less so than a lot of my other IEMs (TWFKs, FAD BAs, ...) with a shallow insertion. Rin's analysis seems to suggest that the D2CA thing is designed for shallow insertion, so I wonder whether fit / seal was different between the left and right channel on Tyll's measurement. In this case, the left channel would sound decidedly sibilant for sure.

(source: link)

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #163 of 509
Quote:
I just had a quick demo on this earphone. I am um3x user since sep 2010. The moment I plug this in (Sansa Clip+) and play some tracks I usually listen to recently. The first impression I get was the bass was bloated. It sounded like the low is covering up the rest. Could the reason that my ear is too used to um3x sound signature or this is the different between dynamic and balance armature? 

Perhaps the Sansa Clip+ soundstage is so narrow that the musicians in the song had to lineup single-file and the bass was in front.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #164 of 509
Quote:

I'd love to have someone explain Tyll's IE800 graph to me. From my experience, the IE800 sounded quite sharp / sibilant when I first tried them with deeper insertion, but actually less so than a lot of my other IEMs (TWFKs, FAD BAs, ...) with a shallow insertion. Rin's analysis seems to suggest that the D2CA thing is designed for shallow insertion, so I wonder whether fit / seal was different between the left and right channel on Tyll's measurement. In this case, the left channel would sound decidedly sibilant for sure.

(source: link)

The best explanation I can give you is that the IE800 is VERY difficult to measure.  For whatever reason, they just don't like being inserted into my measurement head. 

Sorry, bums me out.  Just don't know what to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back