[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #136 of 509
Quote:
Not sure I understand all the issues with the IE800's bass. I find it to be on a similar level as, if not less than, the bass of the 334 (IIRC). I don't find it obtrusive at all, at least not compared to my HD600.

You're right as far as bass level is concerned. Still, there's a fine line between being not obtrusive and impairing transparency. The IE800 are crossing that line quite frequently imo, at least in quiet surroundings.

Btw, I'm not in the camp of those who find the 334 transparent either (though the reason for that may be age-related).

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #137 of 509
Quote:

You're right as far as bass level is concerned. Still, there's a fine line between being not obtrusive and impairing transparency. The IE800 are crossing that line quite frequently imo, at least in quiet surroundings.

Btw, I'm not in the camp of those who find the 334 transparent either (though the reason for that may be age-related).

Yet, I'm still amazed at how transparent the mids are, without being unnaturally boosted. I don't know how they did it. 

Maybe I'll notice more problems with the bass in a few days, but as of now it's just fine to me.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #138 of 509
Quote:

So, the older the 334s get, the less transparent they become?

As someone I know would say, "sorry, just couldn't resist".  :wink:

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #139 of 509
Quote:
So, the older the 334s get, the less transparent they become?

Music guy, I really missed your insights during the last months... 
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #140 of 509
Quote:

Quote:
Music guy, I really missed your insights during the last months... 
beerchug.gif

OK, I'll skip the 'great' humour for now.

Unfortunately, I can't do a side-by-side comparison any more because my 334s have found a new home and are already packed and ready to be shipped tomorrow.

There seems to be something wrong with the IE800 FR graph you posted (I think we both agree there) because I hear them more like the graph below.

As far as transparency goes, this is a bit tricky because it depends on several factors, mostly fit & tip-related, I believe. Both the 334 & IE800 have impressive mids, but the latter is airier and, to these ears, when combining both mids & highs, the Senns seem a tad more natural sounding.

As for bass, that's also a tough call because both have elevated bass, but the Senns have more natural, though sometimes a bit too much, rumble (sub-bass), which doesn't seem to affect the near perfect midrange most of the time. This, I agree, is more evident in a quiet environment.

The IE800 definitely has a full-sized headphone type of sound, quite a feat for such tiny drivers and housings. If I used IEMs outside or for commuting, I'd definitely be keeping my IE800s because, surprisingly, they isolate more than I thought they would, and I don't believe this is merely the result of the 'extra' bass they pump out: they almost seem like Geox shoes, allowing sweat/moisture out, but not water/moisture in.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #141 of 509
Hi eke...
Tg334 is one iem that i always want it...unfortunately in my place that thing is a rare item and hard to get. I read many posts in many forum about it. It has forward and thick lush mids. Still can not imagine how it sound when flavoured with same amount of ie800's bass. Have you compared them already? Ie800 vs tg334...will u share your impression with us?

Btw..this morning i found something interesting. Up until yesterday...i always use my glacier amp pluged together with my hpp1's dac. However..this morning i used glacier amp alone with ipod to drive my ie800 and the result is a bit surprised me. The mids is more appealing and somehow thicker...and the bass is tighten up. I think glacier born with a short and snappy decay is match really well with ie800. If i added hpp1's dac into the chain...somehow glacier has more energy but i prefer glacier alone to drive my ie800. This is the first time i do enjoy listening jazz song with my ie800. Mids is becoming VERY good now.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #142 of 509
Quote:
There seems to be something wrong with the IE800 FR graph you posted (I think we both agree there) because I hear them more like the graph below.

That's why I said I rely on graphs rather for comparison than as an absolute. The Sennheiser graph looks quite similar to Rin's uncompensated data though.

Don't wanna go into a technical discussion here, but suffice to say I rarely perceive upper mids / lower highs like diffuse-field compensated graphs show them. To my ears the IE800's mids are exactly where I'd want them.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #143 of 509
Well you can't hear exactly as a graph will show, because the listener himself doesn't exactly know, making a rough estimate and even then, one has to understand what a diffue-field compensation does and what level of brightness/bass the graphs depict due to the curve based on other IEMs that have been tested and listened. 

Aren't those graphs Music posted raw? It's really hard to digest that one will hear like a graph like that, because it assumes no ear resonants.

@James444
The DF curve is very accurate, but being flat on the curve is not ideal IMO, too forward and bright. A downsloaping DF is truly flat, so some dips past 1k are fine as long as they're not exaggerted ala Heir 4ai. 

I personally didn't like the IE800's mids, fidelity suffered from the midbass. It's 1-3k dip isn't as bad as the graph will portray, but it makes it seem a tad bit distant IMO, dipping there is fine, but it seems a bit much here IME.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #146 of 509
Same with me during 1st time listening. But now (a week +) i get used to it already and i think that sparkling is really add the excitement to the sound. None sibilant feel no more.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #147 of 509
I really wanted to enjoy my ie800 but i can't really seem to make the sibilance go away
smily_headphones1.gif

Damp it with cloth, or maybe foam, just stick it behind the tip.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #149 of 509
Complys can work, make it so that you can test different levels. It's a must for IE800 users as the air actually improves! A very rare case as damping usually kills air, just don't do too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back