[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #106 of 509
My ie800 is not yet on my hand. I will receive it very soon. After reading this thread...i become to worry that it will suit my taste. Looks like they dont serve well with jazz. I like the mids a bit thicker..forward and have a bit of lush feeling to it...did i make a wrong choice?

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #107 of 509
Alright folks. I need your opinions.

I'm currently on the search for a final pair of high end earphones, be it IEMs or CIEMs in order to complete my line up. Basically, the sound signature I desire is a fun V-shaped one with punchy but controlled bass, lively, sparkly but non-sibilant treble, not necessary big but good soundstage/imaging and a good load of detail, something along the line of the PFE 232 that I used to own before. My exposure to V-shaped IEMs has been pretty much limited to the head-fi must have Triple.fi 10 and the PFE 232. My current phones include the IE80 and the T1 Live!, which I have found to have sublime mids but not the "magical" treble of the PFE. I have planned on going the customs road again with a pair of the Miracles on my radar, but after reading this whole thread yesterday I'm not even sure if I'd be wiling to pay that much and wait that long again if the IE800 proved to be a serious contender in fulfilling my need, despite the seemingly dumb design.

So, apparently what I want to ask is anyone who have heard both the PFE and the IE800, could you give some comments about the IE800's performance? Could it be considered an upgrade over the PFE? Does it pose a good challenge to the all-time favourite customs, especially the UM?
Thanks a bunch in advance people. Your help would be deeply appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #108 of 509
Quote:
My ie800 is not yet on my hand. I will receive it very soon. After reading this thread...i become to worry that it will suit my taste. Looks like they dont serve well with jazz. I like the mids a bit thicker..forward and have a bit of lush feeling to it...did i make a wrong choice?

Mids on the IE800 are outstanding, don't worry. At higher volume you may find their bass a bit obtrusive (at least in quiet surroundings). But overall I think they're great phones for jazz, especially if you listen at low to mid volume.

Quote:
Alright folks. I need your opinions.

I'm currently on the search for a final pair of high end earphones, be it IEMs or CIEMs in order to complete my line up. Basically, the sound signature I desire is a fun V-shaped one with punchy but controlled bass, lively, sparkly but non-sibilant treble, not necessary big but good soundstage/imaging and a good load of detail, something along the line of the PFE 232 that I used to own before. My exposure to V-shaped IEMs has been pretty much limited to the head-fi must have Triple.fi 10 and the PFE 232. My current phones include the IE80 and the T1 Live!, which I have found to have sublime mids but not the "magical" treble of the PFE. I have planned on going the customs road again with a pair of the Miracles on my radar, but after reading this whole thread yesterday I'm not even sure if I'd be wiling to pay that much and wait that long again if the IE800 proved to be a serious contender in fulfilling my need, despite the seemingly dumb design.

So, apparently what I want to ask is anyone who have heard both the PFE and the IE800, could you give some comments about the IE800's performance? Could it be considered an upgrade over the PFE? Does it pose a good challenge to the all-time favourite customs, especially the UM?
Thanks a bunch in advance people. Your help would be deeply appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been a while since I've heard the 232s. From memory, the IE800 have more deep bass and equal (or maybe slighty less) mid/upper bass. Mids are an upgrade to the PFE's and more forward and natural. Highs have similar presence and note weight on both, but the 232's treble is brassier.

I've heard a demo pair of Miracles last week and they had less bass than both the PFEs and IE800. Mids were ultra-smooth and liquid, the IE800's mids are a tad dryer (though not dry), but ultimately more natural to my ears. Highs are more extended on the Senns, but ever so slightly thin, whereas the Miracles' treble has more realistic note weight, but rolls off earlier.

Coming from the 232s, the Miracles are a step towards a more reference/balanced sound signature, whereas the IE800 retain a similarly engaging/fun sound sig with better mids.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #109 of 509
Quote:

It's been a while since I've heard the 232s. From memory, the IE800 have more deep bass and equal (or maybe slighty less) mid/upper bass. Mids are an upgrade to the PFE's and more forward and natural. Highs have similar presence and note weight on both, but the 232's treble is brassier.

I've heard a demo pair of Miracles last week and they had less bass than both the PFEs and IE800. Mids were ultra-smooth and liquid, the IE800's mids are a tad dryer (though not dry), but ultimately more natural to my ears. Highs are more extended on the Senns, but ever so slightly thin, whereas the Miracles' treble has more realistic note weight, but rolls off earlier.

Coming from the 232s, the Miracles are a step towards a more reference/balanced sound signature, whereas the IE800 retain a similarly engaging/fun sound sig with better mids.

Thanks a lot james444 for the detailed comparison. How do you perceive the soundstage/imaging and layering on the IE800? I was floored with the PFE's layering before, so if the IE800 excels in those, I'll come to a conclusion soon.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #111 of 509
Quote:
How do you perceive the soundstage/imaging and layering on the IE800? I was floored with the PFE's layering before, so if the IE800 excels in those, I'll come to a conclusion soon.

There's a bit on that in my review (see "Dynamics / Soundstage / Separation / Imaging" section). In short, they sound closer and more intimate than the PFEs, due to more mids presence. But depth and layering is (at least) on par with the 232s.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #112 of 509
Quote:

There's a bit on that in my review (see "Dynamics / Soundstage / Separation / Imaging" section). In short, they sound closer and more intimate than the PFEs, due to more mids presence. But depth and layering is (at least) on par with the 232s.

Beautiful. I think I have found a winner here, at least for my sonic and other preferences 
smily_headphones1.gif

James, thanks again for your help. Will be jumping on the bandwagon soon. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #113 of 509
hi james444, did you had a burn in period when u got ie800 before u reviewd them?

the unit that i have mine have 20-25hrs of usage and it sounds veeeery sibilant and painful. I wonder how long will it take for the ie800s to settle down.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #114 of 509
Quote:
hi james444, did you had a burn in period when u got ie800 before u reviewd them?

the unit that i have mine have 20-25hrs of usage and it sounds veeeery sibilant and painful. I wonder how long will it take for the ie800s to settle down.

I have never found the ie800 sibilant but perhaps there is slight coarseness/ smearing at times.............. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #115 of 509
could be that I'm wearing wrong tips? I hope it is. I'll get the other tips tom (crossing fingers)

For the mean time i'm giving them burn in. I hope what i'm using isn't defective.

the "sss" is just too long on some songs

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #116 of 509
Quote:

Hi soullinker20, did you at least read the first sentence of my review?

Quote:
By some strange twist of fate, I’ve been pretty much the only head-fier who‘s owned a Sennheiser IE800 and posted impressions for over a month now.

J/K.
wink.gif
  As for your question, I too thought they were quite sibilant in the beginning, but I believe I was trying to push them in too deep back then.

As Rin explains in his review (ON SECOND THOUGHT #1 and #2), the IE800 are tuned to be worn with a shallow insertion. Of course you need the right tip size to get a good seal. I don't think burn-in has anything to do with it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #117 of 509
FWIW, I think the IE800's treble is one area (along with soundstage) where James and I seem to perceive things a little differently.

First off, I never found any sibilance with the IE800s, none whatsoever, right from day one (always worn them with the cable down, though, as over the ear was an impossibility for me). I was actually quite impressed with the IE800's treble, which never seemed offensive, yet had enough sparkle which provided very capable detail retrieval and, to these ears, excellent timbre — certainly some of the very best treble I've heard in an IEM/headphone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #119 of 509
I hope it is not brighter than my grado ps500..or otherwise is gonna be too bright for me. Ps500 is the max i can go in the term of brightness. I will find out tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back